Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd February 2013, 16:04   #11
Charles
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connossieur SE

Unhappy

By coincidence, one of my front springs snapped this morning. Fortunately, the car was on the drive at the time. Less fortunately, the spring punctured the tyre, so that will have to be replaced as well. The tow-truck cometh on Monday ...
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 16:07   #12
Villa Villan
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T 160 1.8T

Shame it happened Stuart but great it did happen where you were, I guess there is no indication on inspection as these can snap anytime. I am now thinking about having all four changed now. Has anyone got an idea of how much that would cost for them all to be replaced?.

Cheers
Tony
Old 23rd February 2013, 16:14   #13
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

had one on the front of ztt snap last week just missed the tyre.in the end had the rear springs replaced from rimmers at £96 the pair.the front springs where also replaced as a pair which cost £230 fitted including the springs which are sachs ones.
Old 23rd February 2013, 16:23   #14
StuartB
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa Villan View Post
Shame it happened Stuart but great it did happen where you were, I guess there is no indication on inspection as these can snap anytime. I am now thinking about having all four changed now. Has anyone got an idea of how much that would cost for them all to be replaced?.

Cheers
Tony
Hi Tony

The pair of front coil springs were £85.65 and a pair of shocks top mounts £74.78. I was only charged 1 hours labour at £47.55. 2 new Falken ZE914 tyres were £149.02.

(all prices excluding vat)

Hope you get yours sorted to be safe

Cheers

Stuart
StuartB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 16:24   #15
Villa Villan

ZT-T 160 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk boy View Post
had one on the front of ztt snap last week just missed the tyre.in the end had the rear springs replaced from rimmers at £96 the pair.the front springs where also replaced as a pair which cost £230 fitted including the springs which are sachs ones.
Nice one fella, now I know what to ask for when SWMBO etc ask me what I want for my Birthday.

They already know that I am 75 & ZT bonkers.

Cheers
Tony
Old 23rd February 2013, 16:27   #16
Villa Villan

ZT-T 160 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartB View Post
Hi Tony

The pair of front coil springs were £85.65 and a pair of shocks top mounts £74.78. I was only charged 1 hours labour at £47.55. 2 new Falken ZE914 tyres were £149.02.

(all prices excluding vat)

Hope you get yours sorted to be safe

Cheers

Stuart
Thanks Stuart, I want to avoid the inevitable so best to get them changed sooner. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers
Tony
Old 23rd February 2013, 17:52   #17
CrashCourse
Regular poster

Connie SE CDT Manual - Workhorse

My OSF spring introduced itself to the tyre today , I was reversing out of a parking space at ASDA.
A very good job that it didn't go earlier today on my 60 mile commute there and back to work this morning - as I wasn't hanging about on the motorway.
My OSF tyre now has a 2-3 mm extra groove in the tread.

I guess that I'll be removing the strut tomorrow and hopefully getting a new spring, drop link and strut mounting on Monday. I may as well renew them at the same time as the 75's at 131k.
CrashCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 20:16   #18
Charles
Avid contributor

The Daily Telegraph's Honest John has said in the past that this particular problem is most likely to occur first thing in the morning after a very cold night, because the springs are at their most brittle then. It's not a hard-and-fast rule, though, so I suppose those of us who have had springs break at home should think ourselves lucky that we were not out and about when it happened.
Old 26th February 2013, 18:40   #19
Charles
Avid contributor

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
By coincidence, one of my front springs snapped this morning. Fortunately, the car was on the drive at the time. Less fortunately, the spring punctured the tyre, so that will have to be replaced as well. The tow-truck cometh on Monday ...
Have now had a new spring fitted, by Andy Newall T/A Andy's Autos at Clifton Moor, York (thanks to those who recommended him on an earlier thread). Cost was £50 for a new spring, £60 labour, £60 for a new tyre and £40 for the tow-truck. Seems very reasonable to me, and I was impressed that he said that the other front spring seemed in good condition and did not need to be replaced at present; I had assumed it would be sensible to replace both at the same time.

As a matter of interest, it turns out that my car does have the protectors fitted to the front springs, but that didn't stop the broken spring from puncturing my tyre! Clearly, they are not as effective as they are supposed to be (as one or two members have already commented).
Old 6th March 2013, 12:28   #20
soixante-quinze
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Just had one go on me today. Thankfully car was stationary at the time.
soixante-quinze is offline   Reply With Quote