Notices

Old 5th March 2017, 18:04   #1
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts
Default Channel Tunnel

Hiya all I've got a question.

In the near future like too drive too Germany, I've never been on the channel tunnel before in my life and wanted too ask your experience on them.

I know there's going too be security checks passports in order etc.

Is anything else I need to be aware off if I'm driving a car or Van.

Like too know as much as I can, when I do go over I'll be ready.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 18:25   #2
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

There is just that bit in the middle going there when the Channel tunnel trains change from the left side of the track to the right side so your traveling on the European side
Old 5th March 2017, 18:34   #3
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
There is just that bit in the middle going there when the Channel tunnel trains change from the left side of the track to the right side so your traveling on the European side
Driving the wrong side of the road will be quite interesting.

that's the bit that worry's me.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 5th March 2017, 19:12   #4
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhsWvREDh-s

Been watching this now, got too say this is one the best documentary's I've seen on civil engineering I've ever seen.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 5th March 2017, 20:26   #5
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

There's nothing to it really - I've been over loads of times, to Le Mans, on various holidays and the like. It's sooooo much better than taking a ferry because it's a lot quicker.

You need to let them know if you've got anything on the roof, or if our vehicle is higher than a certain height - with two bikes on top on the way to Le Mans, we end up in with the caravans and trucks.

During the journey across the chanel there's nowhere to go and not a lot of point in getting out of the car so take something to keep you occupied for 35 minutes.

Remember to keep the card you book the trip on - booking in is child's play - a combination of ANPR and the booking card means you'll have your windscreen tag very quickly.

In terms of timing, if you arrive early, you'll probably end up on an earlier train, but if it's a busy period, don't arrive late as you'll be at the mercy of their booking schedule and could be in for a few hours' wait. We were once late for a 2 pm return journey from Le Mans and because the place was mental busy, we had to wait until 10 pm! Not doing that again....

In the UK Passenger terminal there's the usual fast-food and cafe facilities, as well as a Smiths. One useful thing to know is that you can order your Euros on the Travelex website when the rate is good, and then pick the money up in the Eurostar terminal.

Fuel was cheaper in France last time we went so if that's still the case don't stress about filling your car up in the UK. There are several fuel stations on the French side, as there are quite a few supermarkets close to the French terminal.

Don't worry about driving on the right - you soon get used to it. The thing that you have to be careful about is when you first start out in the morning or after a break in driving. Perhaps put a little note to yourself above the speedo so you don't forget. Good practice also is to follow all the French traffic laws and remember that all speed limits are in KPH.

You'll probably end up on toll roads during your journey - if you're the only person in the car then they'll all be on the wrong side for you! It's possible to reach through, or just leave yourself some room and get out. Cash is probably the easiest way to go for the tolls, so look for the Attendant logo above the lanes where you can pay cash to a person. If you pay by card then there are dedicated card lanes with automatic machines.

If you're going to drive through Switzerland at any time, you'll need a Vignette which is a windscreen sticker that shows you've paid your Swiss road tax. You will get stung for one of those on the border (a whole year's tax in one go) and they'll peel it off and stick it to your windscreen. The wise traveller buys in advance, tapes it to their windscreen and then sells it on eBay when they return!

Finally, check out the list of stuff you have to carry, which includes a fire extinguisher, hi-vis tabard for everyone in the car, accessible in the passenger compartment, warning triangle, bulb set and breathalyser.

A European Sat Nav will also help you a great deal.

Have fun, and enjoy those long, wide and incredibly smooth french toll roads!

Last edited by Tourist; 5th March 2017 at 20:43..
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 21:40   #6
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Finally, check out the list of stuff you have to carry, which includes a fire extinguisher, hi-vis tabard for everyone in the car, accessible in the passenger compartment, warning triangle, bulb set and breathalyser.

I would just like to point out That you do not need a Breathalyser. Although it is said you need one there is no process in place to fine you if you have not got one.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 23:18   #7
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I went in winter, with winter tyres for Germany and the extra insurance etc, it was way cheaper to book on the Eurostar ( we used Tesco points) and hire a car there for a week.

Question for the French members-does the Satnav have to have the speed cameras removed?
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 23:38   #8
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Driving on the "wrong side" is quite easy, the only thing I found really strange was going around roundabouts the wrong way ........
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 08:34   #9
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

That's an excellent post from "Tourist".

Don't forget to make a list of all the fish you seen when you go under the Channel!
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 13:24   #10
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
I went in winter, with winter tyres for Germany and the extra insurance etc, it was way cheaper to book on the Eurostar ( we used Tesco points) and hire a car there for a week.

Question for the French members-does the Satnav have to have the speed cameras removed?

In theory yes you are supposed to turn off the Speed camera warning in Practice I never do.

But even tho' it is turned on it does not warn me of any camera's in the approaching area where as it does when in the UK,

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote