Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th May 2017, 06:57   #1
frenchdog

75 V6 2.5

Default Fan problems

Hello,
I had to stop my beautiful newly purchased V6 2.5 when I found coolant leaking and condensation started appear from under the bonnet. The French mechanic told me I need a new water pump, thermostat and to change the cam belt which is all underway. So far so brilliant, grrrrrrrr.
I also noticed that the fan in front of the radiator wasn’t working despite the temperature according to the on-board diagnostics showing 104 when the fan is supposed to kick in. The mechanic told me to wait for the water to be repaired and if the fan still not working I will be getting another large bill...........
I sent my old diesel ZTT to the breakers recently so wondered if I could use fan from that car if the worst comes to the worst and I need to replace something ? Rimmers fan unit costs look horrendous.
Sorry if I'm asking something which has already been covered on the site but the search features on the site don’t seem to work anymore.
Cheers,
Adam.
frenchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 07:41   #2
Stickman
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Hi Adam
Possibly the search features aren't working for you because you're not a subscribed member?
Well worth the tenner a year to become a full member imho
Yr best option for the fan replacement buddy would be the revotec kit from Jules
Check it out in his shop on here or the web
Regards
Chris
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 07:46   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Possibly the search features aren't working for you because you're not a subscribed member?
The Google search hasn't worked for a few weeks, the forum search facility "SEARCH" right of centre in the bar above does work but you can only enter a couple of words.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 08:04   #4
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Hi Steve,

You can use Google's site: command to force it to return only results from the forum. For example, try copying and pasting the following text into a Google search:

site:https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/ diesel fan V6

Hope you get it sorted!
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 08:54   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Hello Adam, welcome to the forum. Your fan troubles are very familiar to us and there may well be easy solutions that won't cost too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchdog View Post
I also noticed that the fan in front of the radiator wasn’t working despite the temperature according to the on-board diagnostics showing 104 when the fan is supposed to kick in. The mechanic told me to wait for the water to be repaired and if the fan still not working I will be getting another large bill...........
The fix for this problem depends on the fan type you have. Later models use the resistor controlled 2-speed motor, which are cheap and easy to fix. You replace the blown resistor. The earlier 3-speed motor usually needs to be replaced or the motor re-brushed. This isn't a big job either and there are HowTos on both.

Quote:
wondered if I could use fan from that car [diesel] if the worst comes to the worst and I need to replace something?
Diesels have a unique fan system that can't be used by other engines. If your fan has to be replaced, try to locate a second hand resistor-type 2-speed from any petrol model. It will plug'n'play with yours. Alternatively, check out the aftermarket Revotec kit available from forum trader Jules.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 09:01   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Adam,

I wish that you had posted details of your problems before instructing a mechanic. We could have saved you a lot of money. I doubt that there's anything wrong with your water pump or thermostat. The fan is likely to be the reason for the overheating and cooant loss:
Quote:
I also noticed that the fan in front of the radiator wasn’t working despite the temperature according to the on-board diagnostics showing 104 when the fan is supposed to kick in.
On your V6 the fan starts running at 100°C. The figure you've quoted is for the 1.8 engine.
Quote:
The mechanic told me to wait for the water to be repaired and if the fan still not working I will be getting another large bill...........
A comment like that reveals that your car is in the hands of someone who does not know what they're doing. If it's not too late, get your car out of there tout de suite!

Look at these two photographs Adam. Which resembles your car? If your fan has the resistor, there is a cheaper alternative to the "large bill" proposed by your garage.

You can use the motor from your diesel, but not the control box. You would need the services of an auto electrician to connect your V6's control box to the diesel fan. This is not a job for your garage under any circumstances.

Simon
Old 18th May 2017, 11:05   #7
frenchdog

75 V6 2.5

Hi Adam
Well worth the tenner a year to become a full member imho
Yr best option for the fan replacement buddy would be the revotec kit from Jules
Check it out in his shop on here or the web
Regards
Chris

Hi Chris - Yup you are right. I'm no longer a leacher, euro14 duely paid

Last edited by frenchdog; 18th May 2017 at 11:07.. Reason: more clarity
Old 18th May 2017, 11:47   #8
frenchdog

75 V6 2.5

Default Thanks

Thank you to everybody for all the helpful advise. I couldn't identify if the fan was a 2 or 3 speed by looking through the grill, but in an earlier conversation with Jules he said most 2004 cars were fitted with 3 speed fans so I suppose I will probably end up buying one his kits, its certainly much cheaper than Rimmers.
Old 18th May 2017, 13:53   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
- - - - most 2004 cars were fitted with 3-speed fans - - -
I'm surprised to read that actually. Some are and some aren't. The only way to be sure it's a 2-speed is the presence of the aluminium resistor, which is usually visible. But very rarely, it's not where you expect it to be. Another way to tell is to count the wires entering the motor case. There are two wires in the 2-speed and four wires in the 3-speed. You might have to gain close access the fan assembly by removing the front bumper, etc. to be certain.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote