Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th June 2018, 16:28   #1
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts
Default Rain sensing windscreen. Anybody got one?

I have been let down for the second time in a week for a screen. Has anybody got a decent one near Notts /Derby or could deliver? I have a large leak and its the only thing not tried. 😕I cant afford Rimmers price tag.

Thanks
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 16:59   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I have been let down for the second time in a week for a screen. Has anybody got a decent one near Notts /Derby or could deliver? I have a large leak and its the only thing not tried. 😕I cant afford Rimmers price tag.

Thanks
If it is the a leak, surely it would be the seals, therefore removal and refitting would be better? Have you also tried Captain Tolley's on it?

Also have you tried National Windscreens? There is a fitting centre in your approximate area HERE?

I apologise if this has all been covered elsewhere, I havent noticed it.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 18:12   #3
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Due to a production fault there are no new windscreens with sensor in the Uk except Rimmers. I havent tried Tolleys as I wasnt sure you could use it for that? I have just been and attacked everywhere qith sealant again then hosed it for thirty mins and nothing. But that happened before then a rain shower filled it!
Old 12th June 2018, 18:17   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Did you try national? I had mine done with them a couple of years ago and was told they kept a few in stock . perhaps they would source from other branches?

It is always the way with hoses and testing. You deluge it and nothing and then a gentle shower and suddenly you have indoor pools. Captain tolleys will be OK to use, however it's effectiveness unfortunately will depend on where the leak is. I would try to remove the sealant first though before using it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Due to a production fault there are no new windscreens with sensor in the Uk except Rimmers. I havent tried Tolleys as I wasnt sure you could use it for that? I have just been and attacked everywhere qith sealant again then hosed it for thirty mins and nothing. But that happened before then a rain shower filled it!
Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 18:23   #5
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

No one has a 75 screen in stock, there is another thread about this. The last batch run has a curvature issue, none of them are any good and the others have been snatched up. I was told there was one in Glasgow and one in Birmingham last Friday, so said yes order me one of those over, and today was told it has been sold someone else!

I tried to use the hose so it was more showery. It's weird, as since I have done the scuttle retainers the leak stopped passenger side by the looks of it. I've sealed over them all again tonight, and those brackets that hold the screen. Also seam sealed a bit, and put some sealant where my towbar wires go through. I doubt its cured, but I have to keep trying while I look for a screen just in case.
Old 12th June 2018, 19:12   #6
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

There's someone on eBay doing these, are they no good?

Yorkshire Trade Windscreens or something
P-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 19:21   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

forgive me for my ignorance. Why cant an ordinary screen be used? If it can but the issue is seeing the cables, can glass stain/paint be used to create a mask?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 19:24   #8
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

I honestly don't know, but someone has just told me another possible source of the leak, so I am going to seal there first as soon as I can get some black sealant! I've sealed some more stuff tonight and hosed it, nothing came in, but its tricked me like that before....worth trying out their idea as well now!
Old 12th June 2018, 19:55   #9
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Maybe your screen gets some stone damage as long as you have windscreen cover on your insurance.

It does not matter that National don't have any, if they are available the insurance company will have to stump up the extra rather than fit you a cheapo screen.

In a lot of cases when National fit one of the cheap screens and you pay your £100 excess you are actually paying for the screen and the fitting charge and the insurance company pays next to nothing.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 09:02   #10
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Dawn - as mentioned in my Windsreen thread, Autoglass have sourced a 'screen for my car. I suspect it's from Rimmers but can't be sure.

If you do need a replacement, give them a call and see what they say.
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote