Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th September 2018, 21:00   #21
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Just been on Pilkington Glass site and as far as I can tell, they do not make screens for the 75?

From the bottom corner of my windscreen with rain sensors - fitted a couple of months ago.

Pilkington by Tourist, on Flickr
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 21:04   #22
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

I should also say that although it took a few weeks to locate a screen, it fitted perfectly and doesn't have any ripples or defects. Maybe Pilkington glass is the way to go.

Last edited by Tourist; 28th September 2018 at 21:06..
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 21:13   #23
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Just been on Pilkington Glass site and as far as I can tell, they do not make screens for the 75?
I see that Rimmers are still offering genuine Rover with or without sensor
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 21:23   #24
Salmon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi Connesuer

Arctic, you’re so right I’ve been missing my old pock marked screen for more reasons than just the fact that it fitted.
This latest one I have to say is not distorted and I don’t feel sea sick looking through it thank goodness.

The Pilkington one was the best fit (although only just) Brewster Fringes not withstanding ‘Quoted from Marina Brian 2018’ This phrase can also be found on Pilkington info pages Brian you are a bottomless font of knowledge.

They have all been however, and I really saw it today, horrible in Winter sunlight.
When a certain light hits the screen it looks as if it needs a good clean and I reached up twice to rub through with by thumb what seems like a dusty film on the inside of the screen.It seems the sandwiched green tint is quite visible in certain winter sun conditions, and polarised sunglasses made no difference whatsoever.
Sunglasses do stop the internal reflection but not the shiny dusty look.

I think I would have remembered my old screen doing that it’s like a flipping net curtain.

I’ve tried a search on Manufacturing changes in windscreen glass last 10 years but found nothing.

I suspect for safety \cost\ efficiency or many other possible reasons they just aren’t making the glass in the same way, let alone gettin the sizes right.

I don’t know how manufacturers arrive at the sizes they produce.
I can only assume like all things it has gone digital. A pattern is typed into a program which in turn commands a mechanism to manufacture a mould?
Who know’s??
Once manufacture is sub contracted to a 3rd party that doesn’t have to walk over to the car and fit them there’s an extra link in the chain of who’s responsibility is this that it’s perfect. That pattern is presumably now shared by at least 3 manufacturers with I imagine 3 different machines that are all callibrated by 3 different technicians.

Rover on the other hand were fitting them so if they came up narrow someone would have told someone else to make them wider and all was well.

As far a taking them out I’ve watched my guy do it 3 times and it looks like it can be learnt, you can see the cheese wire smoking as it friction cuts through the adhesive.

I would personally recommend finding an original if possible to anyone who wants or needs a new screen. Unless you want to spend as much time as I did watching them change your windscreen.
My guy was moaning about the the 3rd one that went in saying I didn’t have to accept it if I didn’t want to. As it was still too small.
He must have loved our Tea I reckon.
Old 28th September 2018, 22:13   #25
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Had a few pilkington screens, not a single issue.

Id not trust the new XPart "genuine" as far as I could throw it.

If the clips are visible its either one of two things, or both...

1) Screen missing spacer blocks and/or too little sealant
2) Trim not pressed right in as far as it will go, or distorted trim.

People can force the trim too much, and it presses it thinner. You have to be a moron to do so, but I have seen it having compared lots of trims in my time.

Where the little U channel meets the screen, Ive seen that vary in width when some fanni fingers has just monkey shoved the trims on, and compressed it tighter than a Scotsmans wallet in a Pub.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2018, 16:52   #26
Salmon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi Connesuer

If the clips are visible its either one of two things, or both...

1) Screen missing spacer blocks and/or too little sealant
2) Trim not pressed right in as far as it will go, or distorted trim.

What's a spacer block? Too late to check now if the screens in already.
Does it set the distance from the screen to the car?

My first replacement screen revealed the clips on both sides.
This latest one doesn't because the trim just makes it to the edge.
BUT only just. In fact you cannot say the trim is actually over the class just meeting it.

I'm contemplating buying 6mm rubber strip to sit in next to the glass behind the trim to stop any wind noise.

I don't actually know which way to prise off the trim though, and I don't want to make a bad situation worse. Tips on removing trim would be useful.