Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd July 2019, 07:41   #11
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Check the fronts too. All four corners can have an effect on the angle, depending on what ground the car is sitting on.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 19:49   #12
ShaunB
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Still think its the bush mine is the same on drivers side rear all arms are solid and new matching springs ,the front sits exactly same height both sides ,this is the part I mean (Joint-rear suspension upper link ball - RHF100190 - Genuine MG Rover) on Rimmer bros parts diagram.Going to change them soon so will know for sure then.
ShaunB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 20:10   #13
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB View Post
Still think its the bush mine is the same on drivers side rear all arms are solid and new matching springs ,the front sits exactly same height both sides ,this is the part I mean (Joint-rear suspension upper link ball - RHF100190 - Genuine MG Rover) on Rimmer bros parts diagram.Going to change them soon so will know for sure then.
i have a constant knocking at the rear of my tourer and i think i have worn bushes too (same part as above) so will look to change them this week. I hope you get it sorted ok and cheaply as these wee problems can be annoying!!
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 21:16   #14
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB View Post
For that to have gone enough to affect the ride height, the suspension would be all over the place on that corner and be making a right racket.

Its a rose-joint effectively and I have never seen one of those fail so far on a 75/ZT. Get loose yes, rattle a little yes, be broken enough to cause a 1" drop on that side of the suspension? Not yet anyway!
Old 22nd July 2019, 21:18   #15
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
I really properly checked the rear spring and it doesn't show not even one sign of cracking... Will check again thoroughly again, my opinion is that the damper could be the issue here, as far as I know even if they don't already leak somewhere, they can still go bad somewhere
Did you check the colours (paint marks) of the springs? They rarely wear off so you should be able to see.

When I had two sets of rear springs side by side, the ZT spring was almost exactly 1" shorter than the 75 spring.
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:03   #16
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
I really properly checked the rear spring and it doesn't show not even one sign of cracking... Will check again thoroughly again, my opinion is that the damper could be the issue here, as far as I know even if they don't already leak somewhere, they can still go bad somewhere

I had the same thing about 8 or 9 months ago....... after reading and seeking advice ( which of course is difficult for those not able to inspect the car in person ) I decided to replace the upper rear suspension arms which were, as most of them are, looking and feeling a bit crusty.

As the car was 16 years old I decided to go the whole hog and replace upper arms, lower arms and all attendant bushes after reasoning that after 16 years and 140,000 miles it wouldn't do any harm for ride quality and safety to do the lot despite the extra cost of doing so.

I recieved a call from the garage doing the work that the two rear dampers were seen to be in a bit of a state after the dismantling of the arms etc.

One side had the extendable shiney plunger rod corroded down to about half of its original circumference and the other damper was clearly U/S so I changed both of them as well.

Ironically after inspecting the old rear upper arms they looked as if they could do another 140,000 miles after a good rust clean up and spray with plenty of strength left in them so i don't think that the gap difference would have been down to them becoming weakened and starting to fold in.

But all in all I feel a bit better that the lots been done for the future despite the extra cost.

The difference in gap between the two sides disappeared after the work which I now put down to the shot dampers although I have read on here that this shouldn't make any difference to the gap on the wheel arches.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 21:30   #17
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I received a new KYB rear damper, will install it tomorrow and write the result here, maybe will help others in this situation too, and as stated, springs are in perfect condition, and btw, did not notice the color code of them, didn't look for them because, as I said before, this problem only appeared in the last 2-3 months and slowly developed.
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2019, 18:37   #18
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Unless a damper (standard type, not self-levelling) is seized completely solid in an extended position, they have absolutely no effect on ride height. All they do is dampen the bounce effect from the road spring, exactly as the name suggests

However, self levelling dampers on a 75 do give an upward lift in addition to the springs (the springs are a lower rate to prevent the car sitting too high)
Old 28th July 2019, 19:31   #19
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
Unless a damper (standard type, not self-levelling) is seized completely solid in an extended position, they have absolutely no effect on ride height. All they do is dampen the bounce effect from the road spring, exactly as the name suggests

However, self levelling dampers on a 75 do give an upward lift in addition to the springs (the springs are a lower rate to prevent the car sitting too high)
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 23:03   #20
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Hmm... now all of this got me thinking. Basically, and logically, there are only 2 possibilities in a lower on one side case, shocks and springs, and maybe shocks bushes (mountings)? Analysed every other poasibilty and none of them could affect the ride height on one side or the other as much as it did in my case.

Now to get to what I wanted to say, wanted today to replace the shock absorber and got stuck right at the beggining lol, and this never happened to me not even when I stripped down the whole engine, now get ready, this will be the dumbest question I've ever asked around here: how the h*ll can I remove the rubber protection that convers the shock mounting above the wheel arch? Stripped the boot cover away and got stuck right after that lol, that rubber protection is literally stuck there like it's glued, even though everything looks like new in there, tried twisting, pulling, prying from below with a flat screwdriver and still no chance
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote