Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th August 2019, 16:43   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default Fitting the Gold AC resistor without removing the bumper.

Old hands please skip this: nothing new here for you.
As my diesel was sounding more like a Boeing Max just before crashing I thought I’d better invest in Jules’ Gold Resistor. My first puzzle was that the old resistor, though silver looking, was unlike anything I’d seen on here, till Jules told me it had been fitted back to front, apparently a common mistake. I can only assume that as there are a few fins it would not cool sufficiently if fitted back to the fan. As his notes and Arctic’s said remove the bumper - but someone had written you could do it without - I thought I’d like to have a go first.

Removing the grille revealed another black plastic shield that once removed revealed the old resistor and two screws that I could touch.

Revolving the fan also showed that two of the holes were bigger allowing both hands to get to the resistor. I needed a very long handled screwdriver to undo the top one, but the bottom was at a slight angle - yes the bumper did get in the way. But with patience and pressure I did manage to unscrew the bottom bolt. I found that as it loosened by pushing it away from the top improved the grip on the screwdriver.
You do need to cut the wires as close as you can to the resistor as you need every mm. Unfortunately I had forgotten to disconnect the battery so I had an exciting millisecond of sparks. (Amazed it didn’t blow the 80amp fuse). I suggest you screw the supplied self-tappers in and out to the gold resistor as the bottom screw will be tight. I had most problems with getting the supplied 2.5mm crimps to slide on to the resistor lugs. Suggest you adjust the gap before crimping on to the old wires as there’s precious little room once installed. Not having a heat gun I used The Wife’s hair-dryer to heat shrink the supplied sleeves, which took ages. I first tried replacing the resistor with the wires fixed on the lugs but there’s so little wire that makes it too tight to bend that I gave up on that and installed the resistor first then fixed the crimped wires on.
I’m not entirely convinced these will stay on with diesel vibration so I’m going to dab some silicone around the lugs both as weather sealant and glue.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor.jpg (83.1 KB, 75 views)