Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th September 2019, 04:49   #1
john116
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default On dwindling numbers and future parts supplies

I know at the end of the day it all comes down to supply and demand (mostly), but having read some 'doom and gloom' postings about number of 75's left, and the end of the supply of spare parts, I'm suggesting we take an alternative positive approach. While I know there will be lots of potential negativity about the statements below, I throw them out for discussion:

1) 3rd party aftermarket suppliers could come to the party
2) individuals (collectors) are very resourceful and will continue to come up with ways to keep our cars on the road
3) 20 years ago (as an example) 3D printing was mostly unheard of. Now it can be used to replicate many small plastic parts, and who knows how much it will advance in the future.
4) I don't know - but surely many of the parts in the Roewe were the same as in the 75? Parts supply from China could help out for another 10 years or more.
5) Many BMW (still available) parts can be used (fuel cap as an example). A cross reference of parts could prove to be useful.

Anyway, just suggestions. I know some are pie in the sky to a degree, but would prefer to think positively, rather than being negative about the declining numbers of cars.

Hit me with your thoughts (of any kind) on the above. To date (as a new Rover owner) everything I've needed I've been able to get from various UK online stores (with fast shipping to Australia). Not bad for a nearly 20 year old car.
john116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 05:21   #2
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I was thinking, if there is a company in India that produces rear suspension arms that are 75% correct. Could they not be approached with a list of upgrades that would make them suitable for our cars?

Yes, they would cost more, but price isn't the issue here. We need them to be a much closer copy of the original part.

Obviously, there are companies out there who are willing to make this stuff, they just need a bit more guidence.

I personally wouldn't care where the parts were manufacturered as long as they were of good quality.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 06:49   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Getting stuff made for cars is not difficult, the problem is the cost. I have over the last couple of years had rear back plates and suspension arms made for the 260's. The back plates were £100 each for example.

Both were made here in the UK and the quality is better than the originals.

The problem we have at the moment is the cars have a low value and it would not take long before you could equal the cars value in parts.

I run a Jensen Interceptor and we can still get parts manufactured for these if needed even though there are only a few hundred cars still here in the UK. Brake discs are £150 each and somebody has even had door handles remade but are £500 a set.

We are lucky here in the UK we have many places that can make small volumes of high quality components. Places like India and China can also manufacture but are not interested in making small volumes and as we know there quality can be very low.

For those that are planning on keeping there cars I feel the time of cheap parts will be coming to an end, if you have the space buy now if you see a genuine NOS part for sale.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 18:25   #4
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

I bought an entire donor car in 2016 Rover 75 tourer 2.0 Petrol model, everything is exactly the same as my diesel except the engine spec, even the interior is the same only paid £100 for it, I keep it in my garage and take of stuff as i need it, to be fair not needed much, but did need one of the horns as one of mine was getting ropey and an outside temperature sensor also, I also had the multi play CD player as mine went too ( consumables) i was also very fortunate it had brand new set of tyres firestones which i used also as i rotated the wheels around.
Been the best £100 quid i have ever spent. What i do like are things like the panels/wings back door/ bumpers and all the glass sections all of which will become rocket money in a few years, like the window rubber seals all these still on the car and never have to worry about getting a windscreen got one of them too.

Its shame really because the 2.0 litre petrol engine is perfectly fine and starts everytime i move it about.
donor cars are the best way, OH forgot i did have a worn out seatbelt as mine was frayed, what i do like about this is i'm no mechanic, but i can learn to take it off the donor car and place it to the road worthy one so i don't mess it up, learnt alot that way.
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 08:06   #5
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

R75 1.8 Con SE Man Saloon

Realistically, you are not going to get high quality remanufactured parts for our cars cheaply. That means that a lot of repairs are going to cost more than the car is worth. The alternative is to scrap the car next time there is a repair job costing say £250 or trade it in under a scrappage deal and get a new car that will depreciate far more than £250 per month.

I think we're at the point where a 75/ZT is either a hobby car which you spend money on to keep it at a good standard or an old banger that is scrapped if it fails its MOT.
Old 7th September 2019, 10:01   #6
mbrenn
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloons Conn SE 2.0L V6 (2001) & Conn 2.0L CDTi (2003)

Remember people are still driving Ford Model Ts! As others have said, if you want parts you can buy them. Ok they might get more expensive in the future and long-term we might get some rare parts made, but with a forum like this, companies like Rimmer, Dmgrsand group buys we can keep our cars on the road.
mbrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 12:23   #7
Rickshaw
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer, 2 X75 Saloon , MGTF Sunstorm

Thumbs up I agree

Mbrenn is right and a positive approach to keeping our cars going ( a ‘can do’ attitude ) is more likely to succeed than some rather negative doom and gloom threads we have seen recently. I have three 75’s , keep them in good trim , rigorously weather/rot proofed , have a number of key spares eg rear suspension arms etc and also feel that with the likes of Rimmer , DMGRS I can keep them going. I am in for the long run . If member of this club are like minded - otherwise why join - the demand for replacement parts will keep up and will be in the interests of suppliers to seek sources and provide. I have seen two Rover P 5’s in my village recently and a friend of mine also has one - all running fine. The owners are proud and enthusiastic. People with the right attitude and enthusiasm in our club can do the same for the 75’s too. Be positive , don’t just see problems - come up with solutions !!
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 12:41   #8
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

So long as there are "mechanically minded" people to look after and maintain them, they will soldier on. It's the "disposable" brigade who will give in. I've been looking at the rear suspensions used on lower level racing cars and I feel that fully adjustable rod and box section suspensions could be made to fit. It's basically a two point fixing and a spring base, with a fixing for the shock absorber. Once the angles and lengths are measured, it's a simple job to fabricate something which should outlast the shell.

https://www.racecar-engineering.com/...ension-design/

Very similar:-
https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techar...mall/pic04.jpg

and this:-

https://www.redlineautoparts.com/bmw...rol-arm-z4002/

Last edited by roverbarmy; 7th September 2019 at 13:07..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 12:51   #9
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

For reference and any future updates, use this thread
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=134757
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 14:33   #10
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdwoodhou View Post
Realistically, you are not going to get high quality remanufactured parts for our cars cheaply. That means that a lot of repairs are going to cost more than the car is worth. The alternative is to scrap the car next time there is a repair job costing say £250 or trade it in under a scrappage deal and get a new car that will depreciate far more than £250 per month.

I think we're at the point where a 75/ZT is either a hobby car which you spend money on to keep it at a good standard or an old banger that is scrapped if it fails its MOT.
Mine is the hobby car that you speak off. I am not bothered what the price of parts are, I just want to be able to get hold of them

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote