Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th September 2019, 17:58   #11
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Did you try them for more than £1,100? (The new parts I mentioned cost more than that, let alone the rest of the car).
But they are only new parts until you fit them and drive.

If we could value our cars by what we spend on them rather than what someone else would pay life would be a lot easier.

Not much different to paying £20k for example for a new car. Right it off a year later and the payout would be the dealer trade in price (I assume - no personal experience).
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2019, 18:20   #12
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Very good point about the parts - as soon they are fitted they make not a jot of difference to the value of the car. Sad but true.

Where a well maintained car DOES have more value is in its resale value. So with old cars the only option is agreed value - but that would not really suit me as I use my car every day. It’s economical, reliable and fun to drive.

I only pay about £230 pa fully comp - and that is with a good company- my broker will not deal with those companies with a bad claims paying record. If an independent broker recommends a company - they really don’t want to have to explain to customers why that company is useless when it comes to the crunch point!

There is a reason why these scam companies are the cheapest - it’s because they don’t want to ever pay out even for a perfectly valid claim.

All you get from these scam artists is a bit of paper making it legal for you to drive. Don’t expect them to be helpful, responsive or behave ethically if you need to claim.

Last edited by Darcydog; 16th September 2019 at 18:24..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2019, 07:21   #13
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Very good point about the parts - as soon they are fitted they make not a jot of difference to the value of the car. Sad but true.

Where a well maintained car DOES have more value is in its resale value. So with old cars the only option is agreed value - but that would not really suit me as I use my car every day. It’s economical, reliable and fun to drive.

I only pay about £230 pa fully comp - and that is with a good company- my broker will not deal with those companies with a bad claims paying record. If an independent broker recommends a company - they really don’t want to have to explain to customers why that company is useless when it comes to the crunch point!

There is a reason why these scam companies are the cheapest - it’s because they don’t want to ever pay out even for a perfectly valid claim.

All you get from these scam artists is a bit of paper making it legal for you to drive. Don’t expect them to be helpful, responsive or behave ethically if you need to claim.
You are right there Clive, it’s a piece of paper to make it legal to drive. The other thing is if the company pays out in the event of a claim or not. The agreed valuation on my 21 year old 75 is £3000, for £325
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2019, 10:02   #14
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
No I didn't, I also have just had all new rear suspension including upper and lower arms and springs, plus new front suspension and all bushings. Brakes alone cost almost £300 too. They will simply class that as wear and tear maintenance.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
But they are only new parts until you fit them and drive. ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
You are right there Clive, it’s a piece of paper to make it legal to drive. The other thing is if the company pays out in the event of a claim or not. The agreed valuation on my 21 year old 75 is £3000, for £325
So we've got these 'valuations' and premiums:

Vossy - value £1,100 (premium £218)
Darcydog - value??? (premium £230)
Gate Keeper value £3,000 (premium £325)
My quote - value £395 (premium £136 if I bought the insurance)

Those are wildly different valuations. What would each company pay out in the event of a prang that cost (say) £500 in parts?

Condition of the car does not appear on any website I've tried. Mileage of the car does not appear either. So if a complete refurb makes no difference and the car's mileage makes no difference, what does?

This box is on one of the big two comparison sites but the figure entered appears to make no difference to the results - I tried it twice (£1,500 & £3,500) and got the same quotes. So the box is pointless.

Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2019, 12:46   #15
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Try Peter Best, they will do agreed value for you.

Let us know the outcome.

Peter Best Insurance
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2019, 12:54   #16
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

I have my 53 plate Rover 45 insured with https://www.classiclineinsurance.co.uk/
But I agree with others, at the end of the day a car is only worth what someone will pay for it, however much has been spent maintaining it.

Last edited by RoverP480; 17th September 2019 at 12:57..
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2019, 15:09   #17
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Try Peter Best, they will do agreed value for you.

Let us know the outcome.

Peter Best Insurance
Thanks - I will give them a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverP480 View Post
I have my 53 plate Rover 45 insured with https://www.classiclineinsurance.co.uk/
But I agree with others, at the end of the day a car is only worth what someone will pay for it, however much has been spent maintaining it.
That's my whole point - someone will pay more for a car with an entirely new setup underneath (suspension, subframe, hubs etc) than they will for a car where everything underneath is 18 years old and covered in rust - one car is worth X, the other is worth less than X.

Comparison websites ask you for your own valuation then the results ignore it completely. I'll take a look at classicline - thanks.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2019, 15:23   #18
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:

Those are wildly different valuations. What would each company pay out in the event of a prang that cost (say) £500 in parts?

Condition of the car does not appear on any website I've tried. Mileage of the car does not appear either. So if a complete refurb makes no difference and the car's mileage makes no difference, what does?

This box is on one of the big two comparison sites but the figure entered appears to make no difference to the results - I tried it twice (£1,500 & £3,500) and got the same quotes. So the box is pointless.

The condition is verified via the 7 photos and a copy of the MOT. I have the valuation agreed in writing in the event of a Cat C write off. Lets face it, £3000 isn't much. I could argue for a higher amount and maybe I will. I know to get a much higher valuation say 30K, the car would need to be assessed and a report done. I imagine the premiums for 30K would be high.

Have you thought about upgrading the immobiliser, installing a tracker and dash cameras? I gather the insurance companies give a discount for doing so.

When you have made your decision, please let us know the outcome. Another thing you can do, if I may suggest, is to check the customer reviews per insurance company on trustpilot reviews.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/pet...nsurance.co.uk

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/aplan.co.uk
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2019, 15:52   #19
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:

With 'regular'car insurance, the declared value is irrelevant (probably unless you value lower than an actual replacement value). In the event of a write off, they will pay out market value. Market value for our cars at the minute will be a similar condition car up for sale. Dealer prices and trade prices wont enter into it.

If you want an agreed value, you will have to pay a little more for it.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2019, 16:29   #20
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Whatever you say it's worth won't matter with a normal policy.
Agreed value insurance is too restrictive for my liking. I want to drive my car not look at it.

You just have to hope you never have to claim.
This is the main reason cars get written off, it's a big risk. Even fitting 4 new tires could be more than its worth in a write off situation.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote