Notices

Old 1st November 2019, 20:28   #1
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts
Default MOT Exemption

I have a question for you all...

Does anyone know much about how the MOT's work on tax and mot exempt cars?

I've seen adverts for 40+ year old cars of which have failed their previous MOT, some have failed years previous.

I heard if a car has failed its last MOT, it still has to have an MOT with a 'pass' before it can become exempt and have a VHI certificate, is that correct?
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 20:55   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

That does sound like it would be true.

However what would happen if it failed the MOT the year after gaining its certificate ??----

Would the certificate be revoked ??
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 21:06   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I have a question for you all...

Does anyone know much about how the MOT's work on tax and mot exempt cars?

I've seen adverts for 40+ year old cars of which have failed their previous MOT, some have failed years previous.

I heard if a car has failed its last MOT, it still has to have an MOT with a 'pass' before it can become exempt and have a VHI certificate, is that correct?
It doesnt appear to be the case. HOWEVER, it MUST be roadworthy (.gov) as any car does. An MOT is only valid at the time of the test, so if it becomes unroadworthy for whatever reason an hour after getting an MOT, then it is an illegal vehicle.

So whilst it does not have to have a previously valid MOT, to qualify, it does need to be roadworthy, and unless the MOT failure sheet has been rectified, then it is not roadworthy, and therefore liable to seizure, as well as being MOT exempt.

People place too much emphasis on an MOT cert. It means nothing.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 21:24   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote.--People place too much emphasis on an MOT cert. It means nothing

Not too sure about that when explaining to the police why you don't have one.--
Old 1st November 2019, 21:29   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Quote.--People place too much emphasis on an MOT cert. It means nothing

Not too sure about that when explaining to the police why you don't have one.--
errrm my car is 42 years old ocifer *hic*

Old 1st November 2019, 21:38   #6
Dallas
This is my second home

I have come across cars to have failed their previous MOT, and the adverts will state the vehicle is tax and MOT exempt.

So does this mean the car is still exempt just because its 40+ years old, or will the car still need a new MOT to continue to drive it on the roads?

Also, if a car has been stood while it turns 40 years old, and its last MOT shows a fail, does this mean the car is automatically exempt? Can the owner just apply for a VHI, or does the car need a new MOT showing a 'pass' first?
Old 1st November 2019, 21:54   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I have come across cars to have failed their previous MOT, and the adverts will state the vehicle is tax and MOT exempt. Nothing wrong there, this is factually correct - doesnt mean the cars are allowed to be used on the road.

So does this mean the car is still exempt just because its 40+ years old, or will the car still need a new MOT to continue to drive it on the roads? Yes it is still exempt, and no it does NOT need a valid certificate, but it does need to be roadworthy to continue to drive it on the road - as per the .gov link.

Also, if a car has been stood while it turns 40 years old, and its last MOT shows a fail, does this mean the car is automatically exempt? Yes, again from the .gov link, but it still has to be roadworthy. It could even be standing for 40 years from new with 0 miles on it! I would suggest the tyres would be unlikely to be roadworthy though Can the owner just apply for a VHI, or does the car need a new MOT showing a 'pass' first? Yes they apply using a V112 form, no they dont need an MOT, but it still needs to be roadworthy.
to be able to use any vehicle on the road, whether it qualifies as a historic vehicle or not, it has to be roadworthy.

If it has failed its previous MOT, and those issues were not rectified, it is obviously not roadworthy, therefore you cannot legally drive it on the road and yep it does still qualify for exemption.

The ability of it to be used on the road is not age related. MOT exemption is age related.

All of the above is of course, if it the vehicle has not been 'substantially modified' (which is explained further on the .gov link) in the last 30 years.

addendum, who determines it is not roadworthy, I would assume an officer of the law, or a DOT inspector, likely at a roadside test. If a suspicion is felt, then I would believe they have the power for it to be inspected properly (at whose cost, I dont know).

Last edited by clf; 1st November 2019 at 21:58..
Old 1st November 2019, 22:07   #8
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

As clf has stated , with some exceptions the MoT exemption is age related but to be legally used on the road it needs to be roadworthy, age doesn't come into it.
I have a Rover P6 in the garage which has seized brakes. It is actually on SORN but I could legally tax it for road use without payment or a MoT . I could use it on the road without breaking any law regarding MoT,s but would be liable for using an unroadworthy vehicle.

Last edited by RoverP480; 1st November 2019 at 22:11..
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 22:13   #9
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
to be able to use any vehicle on the road, whether it qualifies as a historic vehicle or not, it has to be roadworthy.

If it has failed its previous MOT, and those issues were not rectified, it is obviously not roadworthy, therefore you cannot legally drive it on the road and yep it does still qualify for exemption.

The ability of it to be used on the road is not age related. MOT exemption is age related.

All of the above is of course, if it the vehicle has not been 'substantially modified' (which is explained further on the .gov link) in the last 30 years.

addendum, who determines it is not roadworthy, I would assume an officer of the law, or a DOT inspector, likely at a roadside test. If a suspicion is felt, then I would believe they have the power for it to be inspected properly (at whose cost, I dont know).
Thanks Alan, much appreciated.
Old 2nd November 2019, 09:43   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverP480 View Post
As clf has stated , with some exceptions the MoT exemption is age related but to be legally used on the road it needs to be roadworthy, age doesn't come into it.
I have a Rover P6 in the garage which has seized brakes. It is actually on SORN but I could legally tax it for road use without payment or a MoT . I could use it on the road without breaking any law regarding MoT,s but would be liable for using an unroadworthy vehicle.
Not sure I have understood your post, sorry.

Wouldn't it be breaking the law to use a car on the road of any age without an MOT ???----