Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th November 2019, 10:02   #1
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts
Default Category S

Thinking of changing x-trail,looking at Renault Captur. Seen a good selection of these in ICCC Bilston Wolverhamptown. Most of these cars are Category S,would that be of a major concern. Thanks.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 11:22   #2
alphaeagle
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi, MG ZT CDTi

I would find out what damage was done to the car and get a details report on said damage and what repair work that was carried out on the car

Rover 75 CDTi Copperleaf

Today is just yesterdays tomorrow.....
alphaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 12:01   #3
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Thinking of changing x-trail,looking at Renault Captur. Seen a good selection of these in ICCC Bilston Wolverhamptown. Most of these cars are Category S,would that be of a major concern. Thanks.

Category S write-off
The new Category S means the vehicle has suffered structural damage. This could include a bent or twisted chassis, or a crumple zone that has collapsed in a crash. Category S damage is more than just cosmetic, therefore, and the vehicle will need to be professionally repaired

ALSO.

Should I buy a Cat S or Cat N car?
The same caveats apply to Cat S or Cat N cars as apply to Cat C and Cat D vehicles: buyer beware.

One thing to be aware of is that insurance can be harder to come buy for written-off cars, with some providers not covering them at all. While this can be overcome by hunting around, be aware that insurance for Cat S and N cars (likewise C and D) tends to be more expensive than it is for non-written-off cars.

Written-off cars are also worth less than their undamaged counterparts. While this should be reflected in their purchase price, you may find it hard to sell a Cat S or Cat N car, as some buyers will simply not even consider them.

It’s also worth commissioning a thorough mechanical inspection from a qualified mechanic or engineer before buying a written-off car, and this particularly applies to Cat S cars, which have sustained structural damage.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 15:13   #4
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Personally I wouldn't touch any written off car with a barge pole, but that's just me.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 18:01   #5
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Just been through his site,seems every car is Cat S.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 19:03   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Thinking of changing x-trail,looking at Renault Captur would that be of a major concern. Thanks.
yes!

My father had one, gave him no bother. Although once sold, it turned up in Scotland (from NI), and promptly failed its first MOT! It was a Motobility car, so maintained 'correctly'. But to fail on
Offside Front Headlamp aim beam image obviously incorrect (1.8.A.1b)
Rear Exhaust system not adequately supported (7.1.1)
?

Headlamp could be a bump, but aside from rust what would cause an exhaust not to be supported? Failed rubber, driving over rough terrain?

HRZ4646 (if you want to check)

The car though was fine, however, (and my reason for mentioning it) it was 'fine' as in adequate. The covers could zip off to be washed, you could go to the shops in it. But the thing for me, I felt like I was sitting on it, rather than in it, after (literally) a few miles I was moving around in my seat trying to be comfy.

From looking at an xtrail, I imagine it would be relatively comfy, check out the captur for comfort with a decent test drive, and check the underside of it for rust etc (just in case that was what caused my dads old one to fail, especially with the S condition)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 21:04   #7
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

If you are buying any damaged car to repair or already repaired you need to have the attitude that you will either be giving it away when you sell it on or just scrap it when you have finished with it.

A friend bought a well repaired Land Rover a few years ago against my advice, there was little or no evidence of the damage and repair apart from some different underseal. His circumstances changed and he needed to sell the car, the best he could get back was about 35% of what a non damaged car would have sold for and he lost a lot of money.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 21:25   #8
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

My daughter crashed her first car, a really nice mk1 Corsa, and it was written off. The damage was mainly the o/s front wing, bonnet, catch rail, lights and plastic, most of which I got off a scrapper for the rebuild. The front chassis rail was slightly kinked at the crumple zone, but a proper car repair centre jig-straightened it and welded in the new catch rail. The car then served my newly driving son for the next 3 years with total reliability except needing a new clutch cable. Finding rust in that same chassis rail, I got it assessed for welding, and was given a quote for more than the car's value, due to the need to remove suspension parts and the sub-frame. Significantly, the other side was totally sound. I f you are going to buy a write off, buy one before it has been fixed, then take pics before, during and after. Some people are capable of making a bodge job look perfect, - that 's how they increase their profit.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 21:30   #9
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

PS the Corsa ended up as the deposit on a new Picanto under the 2009-10 scrappage scheme. It has been amazingly reliable too.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote