Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st February 2020, 17:34   #41
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Bigg Red do decent caliper refurbishment kits (pistons, seals, guide pins, etc) - http://www.biggred.co.uk/
Nope, the quality of the Bigg Red kits are rubbish, if you've overhauled your brakes with one, you will find that out soon enough :

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2020, 08:18   #42
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Nope, the quality of the Bigg Red kits are rubbish, if you've overhauled your brakes with one, you will find that out soon enough :

Brian
Argh just did my rears on the 800 with them
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:42   #43
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:

Brian
What's wrong with them?
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2020, 12:11   #44
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
What's wrong with them?
The rebuild kits I got (a few years ago now) had no flexibility to slide over the pistons. The ones I bought came with pistons, which seemed to be fine, so after tearing one, and thinking it was my fault, I ordered a pair from Brakes Int on eBay (as Bigg Red didnt have any listed without the pistons when I looked). When fitting them, whilst tight, they felt a hell of a lot more pliable, and whilst tight, went over the piston, and allowed full movement of the piston whilst fitted. The BR ones I doubt would have given the full movement.

Of course I could have been supplied the incorrect piston boots, but everything else fitted correctly, but the seals felt harder, almost like plastic rather than rubber (I know they wont be rubber).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2020, 13:35   #45
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
The rebuild kits I got (a few years ago now) had no flexibility to slide over the pistons. The ones I bought came with pistons, which seemed to be fine, so after tearing one, and thinking it was my fault, I ordered a pair from Brakes Int on eBay (as Bigg Red didnt have any listed without the pistons when I looked). When fitting them, whilst tight, they felt a hell of a lot more pliable, and whilst tight, went over the piston, and allowed full movement of the piston whilst fitted. The BR ones I doubt would have given the full movement.

Of course I could have been supplied the incorrect piston boots, but everything else fitted correctly, but the seals felt harder, almost like plastic rather than rubber (I know they wont be rubber).
This is what I've used on the rears (fronts still to go):

Springs - Brakes International BPF1097S
Pistons & seals - Bigg Red BRKP242S
Guide pins, sliders & end caps - Frentech S7022QP-2
Bleed nipples - Brakes International NIP2012L*
Calipers - original ATE (blasted, cleaned & painted)

(* Later replaced with Goodridge M8 Speed Bleeders)

Here's the equivalent piston from Brakes International - Budweg BCP3616.
And this is the equivalent seal kit from Brakes International - Budweg BCK3616.

The Bigg Red pistons and ring seals went in nicely and (greasy fingers aside) the boots went on without much fuss. Material-wise, I couldn't see any real difference between the old boots and the new boots except the ground-in dirt on the old ones. Having said that, I haven't road-tested the car yet (no back box!) so we'll see.

Websites

Brakes International - https://www.brakesint.co.uk/
Bigg Red - http://www.biggred.co.uk/
Frentech - https://www.frentech-uk.co.uk/
Old 2nd February 2020, 15:34   #46
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
This is what I've used on the rears (fronts still to go):

Springs - Brakes International BPF1097S
Pistons & seals - Bigg Red BRKP242S
Guide pins, sliders & end caps - Frentech S7022QP-2
Bleed nipples - Brakes International NIP2012L*
Calipers - original ATE (blasted, cleaned & painted)

(* Later replaced with Goodridge M8 Speed Bleeders)

Here's the equivalent piston from Brakes International - Budweg BCP3616.
And this is the equivalent seal kit from Brakes International - Budweg BCK3616.

The Bigg Red pistons and ring seals went in nicely and (greasy fingers aside) the boots went on without much fuss. Material-wise, I couldn't see any real difference between the old boots and the new boots except the ground-in dirt on the old ones. Having said that, I haven't road-tested the car yet (no back box!) so we'll see.

Websites

Brakes International - https://www.brakesint.co.uk/
Bigg Red - http://www.biggred.co.uk/
Frentech - https://www.frentech-uk.co.uk/
They all look familiar, to me. I didn't get as far as fitting them as the boot ripped with the second attempt seemingly the same. There was a night and day difference.between the brakes int and br ones. I could well have been given the 36mm boot, instead of the 40, but the piston was the correct 40mm within the kit, likewise the cylinder seal.was correct.

There was simply next to no pliance to allow it to slip over the piston, even with a pack of grease over it.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Old 2nd February 2020, 16:44   #47
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
They all look familiar, to me. I didn't get as far as fitting them as the boot ripped with the second attempt seemingly the same. There was a night and day difference.between the brakes int and br ones. I could well have been given the 36mm boot, instead of the 40, but the piston was the correct 40mm within the kit, likewise the cylinder seal.was correct.

There was simply next to no pliance to allow it to slip over the piston, even with a pack of grease over it.
If I've got the energy I'll get a pair of Brakesint kits when I do the front, then I'll whip the rear pads out and compare the boots. I didn't have the problems you had though - maybe Bigg Red have changed suppliers.

Pic - rears with BR boots & pistons

That's the best shot I've got that shows the boots - I was getting bored with brake calipers by this stage.
Old 2nd February 2020, 16:55   #48
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
If I've got the energy I'll get a pair of Brakesint kits when I do the front, then I'll whip the rear pads out and compare the boots. I didn't have the problems you had though - maybe Bigg Red have changed suppliers.

Pic - rears with BR boots & pistons

That's the best shot I've got that shows the boots - I was getting bored with brake calipers by this stage.
I cannot say if they have or not, nor can I say they were the incorrect boots, as there are two types. 36 and 40mm that correspond to the pistons used.

Before building up the fronts, Brakes Int do the correct calipers new. A pair of front calipers, if I recall, were about £100 per pair, and £140 for the 190 versions.

this was one of mine (before I wiped off the grease lol)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (119.0 KB, 45 views)

Old 2nd February 2020, 20:46   #49
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
What's wrong with them?
The rubber crumbles away after about six months of use, they were assembled with Renolit Red rubber grease, nothing new there.

I had issues like this before with "Britpart" kits for the Freelander, substitute those with the original Lucas TRW components, and they are still operational fifteen years later.

I'd rather buy the cheap new calipers, or new old stock ones that pop up from time to time on eBay, than waste my time with rubbish that is not fit for purpose.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:59   #50
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
I cannot say if they have or not, nor can I say they were the incorrect boots, as there are two types. 36 and 40mm that correspond to the pistons used.

Before building up the fronts, Brakes Int do the correct calipers new. A pair of front calipers, if I recall, were about £100 per pair, and £140 for the 190 versions.

I'd say it's pretty unlikely that BR gave you 36mm boots by mistake when everything else in the kit was 40mm - the difference between a 36mm and a 40mm would be easy to spot if they were side by side.

I might fit new calipers on the front - it'll all depend on the money situation. Brakes Int 's front calipers for KV6 are £67 per side at the moment (FTE, Brake Engineering or Budweg) ex surcharge. XPart's exchange price for ATE rears was £115 per side when I checked so I expect the fronts would be a fair bit more.

Quote:
The rubber crumbles away after about six months of use, they were assembled with Renolit Red rubber grease, nothing new there.

I had issues like this before with "Britpart" kits for the Freelander, substitute those with the original Lucas TRW components, and they are still operational fifteen years later.

I'd rather buy the cheap new calipers, or new old stock ones that pop up from time to time on eBay, than waste my time with rubbish that is not fit for purpose.

Brian
I can change the rear boots easily enough when I get to the front end refurb (subframe, brakes, suspension all coming off for sorting out).