Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st January 2017, 11:12   #1
Saxyem
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club SE CDT Tourer

Default 75 Club 2.0 Diesel Tourer, I just bought, any advice

Hi,
I have just bought a 2001 manual diesel tourer, there is a receipt for a new clutch yet the bite seems to be quite low, it had a slave and master put on at the same time. I have had a read through the site but is there anything in particular anyone can bring to attention, the car has 178k along with 12 months mot. I was somewhat worried about the higher mileage but am told this should not be an issue? I would welcome any advice please.
Saxyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 13:17   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxyem View Post
Hi,
I have just bought a 2001 manual diesel tourer, there is a receipt for a new clutch yet the bite seems to be quite low, it had a slave and master put on at the same time. I have had a read through the site but is there anything in particular anyone can bring to attention, the car has 178k along with 12 months mot. I was somewhat worried about the higher mileage but am told this should not be an issue? I would welcome any advice please.
Plenum chamber drain clearing and checking should be high on the list I would suggest

Then an oil and filter change - in fact all filters are easy to change and not expensive. The fuel filter was one I skipped at the first annual service and did it at the two year point- I was amazed at the better response and pick-up

So a new fuel filter is a definite for me
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 19:26   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Check master cylinder fluid. This is up under the bulkhead, back of the steering wheel, not the one in the plenum, that only feeds the brakes. Awkward to get to but do a bul.
Old 31st January 2017, 19:53   #4
Old Mally
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

I've almost but not quite bought one similar, but a little less mileage.
I see it as a challenge. Some of them must keep going surely?
Only looking for 3000 miles
Old Mally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 00:02   #5
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

Fit a new pollen filter while you're in there cleaning the plenums.

Fit a filterless PCV unit instead of replacing the bog roll filter.

Cover the alternator when changing the oil filter.
Old 1st February 2017, 11:01   #6
Saxyem
Regular poster

Hi all, Thanks for the replies it is appreciated, I shall make these checks when it is not bucketing down with rain.

I collected the car today and it has done 147k not 178k, also I noticed a Club owenership tax disc holder and rear sticker so has been previously owned by a member here! This also worries me because they may have sold it on due to issues that I have found as follows:

Whilst the dealer advised the clutch has been replaced and showed me the receipt, I noticed it is quite low and when coming to a junction I have to be staionery before I put it into gear else it is awkward.

2nd issue. indicator lights not working on dash
3rd issue. electric mirrors not working.
4th issue. central locking does not work on all doors on fob and only one key supplied

I have yet to play with the controls for the heater, it is working but not very hot. Otherwise the car drives quite nicely, brakes and all work as they should, no leak on rear window.

I would like to find out the previous owner on here so I can possibly find out more history whether is be good or bad. reg number is BX02 NNH
Old 1st February 2017, 13:58   #7
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

Electric Mirrors-

Prise the switch pack out of the door and open it up (quite straightforward).

Clean the PCB touch pads with Acetone (nail varnish remover) or IPA.

Did mine a few years ago and getting a little temperamental again now.
Old 1st February 2017, 19:16   #8
Saxyem
Regular poster

Many thanks for the great information, I shall do these and see where I get, they all seem fairly straightforward
Old 1st February 2017, 21:59   #9
tourer82
Regular poster

ZT 190 SE

Default Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxyem View Post
Hi all, Thanks for the replies it is appreciated, I shall make these checks when it is not bucketing down with rain.

I have yet to play with the controls for the heater, it is working but not very hot. Otherwise the car drives quite nicely, brakes and all work as they should, no leak on rear window.

I would like to find out the previous owner on here so I can possibly find out more history whether is be good or bad. reg number is BX02 NNH
Where is the temperature needle once you have been driving for a while? Thermostat failure is a common issue and leads to the needle not reaching the nine o'clock position that is the correct operating temperature. Mine was at between seven and eight when I got it. Fitted the inline thermostat mod (will show up on a forum search) and not had any issues since. Replacing the original thermostat is a bit of a pain hence the mod.
tourer82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 22:07   #10
Saxyem
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer82 View Post
Where is the temperature needle once you have been driving for a while? Thermostat failure is a common issue and leads to the needle not reaching the nine o'clock position that is the correct operating temperature. Mine was at between seven and eight when I got it. Fitted the inline thermostat mod (will show up on a forum search) and not had any issues since. Replacing the original thermostat is a bit of a pain hence the mod.
You are right, mine is also 7-8 o'clock, I shall go an have a look for the mod, Many Thanks!