Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th April 2017, 15:20   #1
Rikki
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 190, Land Rover Series IIA, KIA Pro C'eed VR7

Default Economical driving

To start- I am not trying to tell anyone how to drive- or teach people to suck eggs - part of my job is I do independent fuel tests on vehicles so the manufacturers can provide independent fuel results- admittedly very rarely on cars- normally commercials, but the principles are the same

Every test I do I am accompanied by a press fleet driver who will "Talk" me through how to get the best results from each vehicle- each vehicle will have its own quirks but the underlying principles are the same:

The very basic rules on saving fuel are:

• Don't stop ever, unless you really have no choice- roll up to lights/queues
  • using brakes to slow in traffic costs you the fuel you used to gain momentum- look far ahead and try to judge what the traffic way ahead is doing and ease off well in advance
  • get up to your required cruising speed quickly, what you gain by being in the in the engines optimum gear/speed far out ways the small saving by trickling up to that speed.
  • Gravity is a wonderful thing use it !! if your at optimum just before the brow of an uphill climb, ease off and coast over the top and let gods work take you down the other side
  • look up and understand the torque band of your engine and see where you get most "bang for your buck" in the rev ranges - driving outside the torque band (both above and below) your spending fuel for not much result
  • Neutral gear is not a fuel saving device if you need to slow down gently, using the engine to slow is far better than the brakes - it doesn't use any fuel if your off the accelerator, just drop a gear and you will slow( Ignore the current "gears to go brakes to slow advice" its testicles as far as fuel saving goes)
  • Windows !! cars are designed to be as aerodynamic as possible, to let the air slip over the body shape an open window will disrupt that airflow - if your saving fuel its cheaper to have the windows up and air conditioning on
  • The number one rule is anticipate- look far further ahead than the car in front- Read the road further ahead and gauge the bend etc.. ease off rather than brake when ever you can and keep the wheels rolling
There are many factors that will affect your cars economy- the two biggest are driving style and maintenance
As I said I am not trying to lecture or teach anyone - just reading a couple posts on here recently about how to save fuel thought I would pass on the knowledge that the demo fleet drivers pass onto to me. I Hope no-one is offended

Last edited by Rikki; 10th April 2017 at 15:25..
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 15:27   #2
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Lots of good advice here.

I always think what a waste when I see people tearing up to a red traffic light and slamming on at the last possible moment.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 15:51   #3
sponge_mike
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi Automatic

Nothing irritates me more than stupid drivers who hurtle towards the driver in front, slam on the brakes and then proceed to tailgate him, hitting the brakes again every ten seconds

Mike
sponge_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 16:55   #4
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Some good advice here & to be honest, a lot of this hopefully comes naturally with driving experience.
Looking much further ahead in traffic is much easier in a van or commercial vehicle because you're sat higher up but you do need anticipation I agree.
As for building up momentum etc, quite difficult to do when you live or tend to drive mainly in 20mph area's.
I even find it difficult to drive in these area's using gears (manual only of course) unless you stay mainly in 2nd!
Driving & slowing using gears is something I've done for years but as said, not so easy now.
It's fair to say though that there are a lot drivers who probably do none of the items mentioned in the OP's post.
As for the difference in fuel usage with windows up/windows down, I wonder if any comparisons have been done between driving with window down (drivers for example) & windows up with A/C on?
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 17:24   #5
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

To be honest, as mh007 just said, it's how you tend to drive anyway after you've been doing it for a while. I hadn't really considered point 3 as being beneficial to fuel economy as I just do it anyway - but now I've thought about it it makes sense.

The going down hills using gravity might upset few people mind you

With diesels, and this is pretty much any diesel car I've driven, I find the biggest boost to fuel economy is if you keep them under 2000rpm (especially driving on motorways) but to be honest with an automatic 75 life is actually too short to bother as it equates to about 65mph.
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 17:26   #6
Rikki
Loves to post

I have had a very polite request to verify I do what I say and do in my opening post- rather than " a troll" I can understand this being the internet-anyone can be any one !!!- its a reasonable doubt

I am a verified member of the Guild of Motoring Writers , one of the oldest Guilds in the motoring world
To be a member you have to show published work and be nominated by existing members

The list of members is open to the public and I am more than happy to provide my real full name to the admins on this forum so they can check I am who I appear to be
I am also a member of the National union of Journalists as a motoring writer and again am happy to provide the admins on here my details to be checked

Last edited by Rikki; 10th April 2017 at 18:28..
Old 10th April 2017, 17:49   #7
Rikki
Loves to post

Quote:
As for the difference in fuel usage with windows up/windows down, I wonder if any comparisons have been done between driving with window down (drivers for example) & windows up with A/C on?
I haven't done it in a car- but in a commercial - in a private test for a major haulier, the difference in a truck on Millbrooks testing ground was significant- that said their vehicles cover a lot more mileage than your average car user- and around town driver in a car its probably pennies if that- MY OP was about maximising economy and it will have an effect especially on those that do the motorway miles

Last edited by Rikki; 10th April 2017 at 18:04..
Old 10th April 2017, 17:56   #8
Rikki
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post

The going down hills using gravity might upset few people mind you
Many of the latest GPS enabled Adaptive cruise control systems will do this automatically is a bit unnerving when they ease off on the steepest part of the hill
Old 10th April 2017, 19:10   #9
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

More power to your elbow Rikki, although owning up to being a member of the NUJ could be a bit risky! Joking apart I amazed how often in life we consider something to be 'common sense' when experience shows it is anything but 'common' Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 19:36   #10
Rikki
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
More power to your elbow Rikki, although owning up to being a member of the NUJ could be a bit risky! Joking apart I amazed how often in life we consider something to be 'common sense' when experience shows it is anything but 'common' Chris S.
Cheers mate, Not to put anyone down , because I am probably as bad as everyone else, but sometimes we all forget the basics, particularly on a hot summers day and the temptation to plant the right foot- then we get home and the tanks empty and we honestly have no idea why.

Quote:
although owning up to being a member of the NUJ could be a bit risky!
I can see that, but I am here as an owner and for no other reason.. I will never take anything from here without permission