Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th April 2017, 05:54   #1
Dubya
Loves to post

2005 MG ZT-T+ V6 190

Default I've finally become a member.....

.....of the broken spring club! Stopped off at the garage on the way home from work this morning to check the tyre pressures and was greeted by this sorry sight:

It appears I have been lucky as it has stopped about 10mm short of hitting the tyre. I imagine it was one of the numerous pot holes that infest the roads here in sunny Herefordshire!

I don't suppose anyone knows the correct colour code for ZT-T 190 front springs?
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 08:02   #2
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I need this explaining to me. If a spring broke on the car I'd just have to order one from a list that the supplier stated suited the car. Never understood the colour codes. Are they important?
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 08:05   #3
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
I need this explaining to me. If a spring broke on the car I'd just have to order one from a list that the supplier stated suited the car. Never understood the colour codes. Are they important?
They must have been at the time of production for them to put the label codes under the rear seats.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 08:21   #4
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
.....of the broken spring club! Stopped off at the garage on the way home from work this morning to check the tyre pressures and was greeted by this sorry sight:

It appears I have been lucky as it has stopped about 10mm short of hitting the tyre. I imagine it was one of the numerous pot holes that infest the roads here in sunny Herefordshire!

I don't suppose anyone knows the correct colour code for ZT-T 190 front springs?
When you replace the front springs, it will be well worth fitting a pair of tyre protectors.

To reduce the risk of corrosion and a subsequent break, I keep my springs clean. Weekly clean includes wheel arches. Alison does up to 400 miles a week so she is no show queen!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2824.jpg (137.6 KB, 42 views)

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 09:12   #5
Dubya
Loves to post

2005 MG ZT-T+ V6 190

Have you drilled the holes in the spring cup? Would I be correct in saying they are to prevent water building up inside?
Old 20th April 2017, 10:34   #6
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Have you drilled the holes in the spring cup? Would I be correct in saying they are to prevent water building up inside?
This is not a Rover '75, but an Audi A2, so the spring cup is like that as standard. I just couldn't find any pictures of my '75 to show how clean I kept everything.

I think there are two reasons for the holes in the spring cup; one is to reduce unsprung weight and the second is as you mentioned to prevent a build up of water and silt in the spring cup.

Good luck getting your car sorted!

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 13:20   #7
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

[QUOTE=Dubya;2479593 I imagine it was one of the numerous pot holes that infest the roads here in sunny Herefordshire! [/QUOTE]

Its not the pot holes that do it. Its the integrity of the coating on the spring that deteriorates over the years. Once the coating is broken the corrosion of the spring begins and ultimately leads to fracture.

Keep you springs coated with grease/waxoyl and they will hopefully last much longer.

I would suggest that springs in modern cars are changed out at between 5 and 10 years(wow that's some window) depending on the coating condition.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 21:54   #8
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Brown/Red should be fitted to yours Brown/Brown are the earlier ones iirc.
Changed mine recently and both types are available from rimmers.
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 13:16   #9
Dubya
Loves to post

2005 MG ZT-T+ V6 190

My replacement springs arrived yesterday so started to tackle the job today. Everything else has come apart nicely except for.....yep, you guessed correctly.....the b****y lower strut pinch bolt. It has been soaked in PlusGas for the last 2 days, using a 6 sided socket and has not even budged.

Okay then I thought, I'll take the strut and hub of together, that'll beat it. All went well until it came to the driveshaft nut. Let's just say I am now in mourning following the demise of my long suffering breaker bar which has provided sterling service for the last 20 years!

Now waiting for the wife to return from another epic shopping trip so I can go into town and purchase a suitable replacement. Don't you just love these cars!!!
Old 22nd April 2017, 16:17   #10
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

Quote:
My replacement springs arrived yesterday so started to tackle the job today. Everything else has come apart nicely except for.....yep, you guessed correctly.....the b****y lower strut pinch bolt. It has been soaked in PlusGas for the last 2 days, using a 6 sided socket and has not even budged.

Okay then I thought, I'll take the strut and hub of together, that'll beat it. All went well until it came to the driveshaft nut. Let's just say I am now in mourning following the demise of my long suffering breaker bar which has provided sterling service for the last 20 years!

Now waiting for the wife to return from another epic shopping trip so I can go into town and purchase a suitable replacement. Don't you just love these cars!!!
I replaced mine on Tuesday. I gave up on the pinch bolt and took whole strut off. I thought the hub bolt would be a nightmare but plenty of penetrating fluid and just heat from propane torch got it shifted. It was the cheap electric clarke impact wrench that got it moving which suprised me as I did not think it would be up to it. Maybe I got lucky as the nut was clean and no rust had got in. For £10 I would chuck a new top mount bearing on as well. Took the strut to garage £30 to swap spring and bearing. £70 all in and a few scraped knuckles not too bad, spring compressors make me nervous £30 well spent.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote