Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th October 2017, 23:17   #1
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default My car is a Write Off

Not the 75 but the Jaguar XF which was fitted with four new doors just a month ago along with an additional £1,300 for replacing drivers side wing and repainting the sills and front bumper.

Earlier today Thursday I was just a mile from home when a young guy in a VW Polo met me on a corner travelling a tad too fast and too wide on the corner hit me side on.
The XF with me and the missus was thrown up into the air and pirouetted through 90 degrees finishing up with the rear end up on the pavement.
Both curtain airbags and the drivers seat airbag deployed so I knew right away it would be a write off. After recovering from the initial shock I was further shocked to see just how much damage a Polo could make to a Jaguar.
The new front wing is slightly damaged, the drivers door is severely damaged, the rear door is obliterated and there’s extensive sill damage. The biggest shock was the rear wheel and hub was severed at the lower link and driveshaft with the wheel now almost sitting in the boot.
The missus is fine despite her still recovering from her shoulder injury but I’ve got a sore back and a headache. The Police and Ambulance were in attendance and we both got breathalysed with clear results. The young male driver has been charged by the Police and was despatched by Ambulance for a check up as he was clearly in shock. They wanted to call another ambulance for me but I declined but after returning home, and after further advice I did attend hospital where I was given a thorough check over but I think it is only muscular pain with my back and stress which is giving me the headache.

It’s not been an entirely happy three years of ownership with the Jaguar between getting ripped off by Parks Jaguar Ayr over the MOT issue and badly let down by Jaguar Cars over the door corrosion issue so it will come as no surprise that the XF will most deffinately not be replaced with another Jaguar.

Meantime it’s back to my reliable 15 year old 75 V6 Connoisseur which itself has only done 56k. I’m in no hurry to replace the car so I will take my time to see what’s available and by whom.!

I wanted a Jaguar all my life and yes I did like the XF very much, it was great to look back at when parking it up and was a fantastic tow car for our Coachman Caravan but with all the trouble I’ve had can you really blame me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA849522-CDC8-4A4C-9353-8EDB3C2B9F7F.jpg (20.0 KB, 217 views)
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 00:01   #2
Proud owner
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

That's terrible and a shocking experience, glad to hear you're both ok.
Proud owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 00:03   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
Not the 75 but the Jaguar XF which was fitted with four new doors just a month ago along with an additional £1,300 for replacing drivers side wing and repainting the sills and front bumper.

Earlier today Thursday I was just a mile from home when a young guy in a VW Polo met me on a corner travelling a tad too fast and too wide on the corner hit me side on.
The XF with me and the missus was thrown up into the air and pirouetted through 90 degrees finishing up with the rear end up on the pavement.
Both curtain airbags and the drivers seat airbag deployed so I knew right away it would be a write off. After recovering from the initial shock I was further shocked to see just how much damage a Polo could make to a Jaguar.
The new front wing is slightly damaged, the drivers door is severely damaged, the rear door is obliterated and there’s extensive sill damage. The biggest shock was the rear wheel and hub was severed at the lower link and driveshaft with the wheel now almost sitting in the boot.
The missus is fine despite her still recovering from her shoulder injury but I’ve got a sore back and a headache. The Police and Ambulance were in attendance and we both got breathalysed with clear results. The young male driver has been charged by the Police and was despatched by Ambulance for a check up as he was clearly in shock. They wanted to call another ambulance for me but I declined but after returning home, and after further advice I did attend hospital where I was given a thorough check over but I think it is only muscular pain with my back and stress which is giving me the headache.

It’s not been an entirely happy three years of ownership with the Jaguar between getting ripped off by Parks Jaguar Ayr over the MOT issue and badly let down by Jaguar Cars over the door corrosion issue so it will come as no surprise that the XF will most deffinately not be replaced with another Jaguar.

Meantime it’s back to my reliable 15 year old 75 V6 Connoisseur which itself has only done 56k. I’m in no hurry to replace the car so I will take my time to see what’s available and by whom.!

I wanted a Jaguar all my life and yes I did like the XF very much, it was great to look back at when parking it up and was a fantastic tow car for our Coachman Caravan but with all the trouble I’ve had can you really blame me.
after all of the grief you have had, and the recent backing down of the various people involved, I am sorry to read this. Actually devastated for you. Perhaps, you were not meant to have this Jag, and your determination to resolve your issues was defeating fate so much it brought you to this

I always wanted a Jag too, and was burned quite badly myself, when I sought out the perfect one. I still want one, but for now, am too scared lol. Besides the ZT is almost where I want it. By then though, it will have cost more than the Jag I would want. XJ Sovereign 2.7 tdvi. But I still think, along with the support I have had with this forum and its members, better the devil you know.

Keep an eye on that headache though as well as any other aches and pains.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 05:05   #4
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

The Jag did its job , so glad you are both ok.
Cars can be replaced but people can't
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 05:43   #5
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Jim you must be totally and utterly gutted, I know I would be. But like Simon said you are both OK and still in one piece.

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 05:57   #6
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Glad you are safe. New cars are designed to absorb impact thats why they look like shredded wheat after a collision. Only the slightest impact can cost £1000s to repair.
When your fit again Im sure it wont be long before your scouring all the car sites for your next folly.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 06:53   #7
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
Glad you are safe. New cars are designed to absorb impact thats why they look like shredded wheat after a collision. Only the slightest impact can cost £1000s to repair.
Yes exactly, a modern car can be replaced but injuries can take a long time to heal if ever. I see it all the time cars that have been in what on the surface would appear to be nothing more than a minor knock turn into scrap but the occupants walk away. Impact absorbent zones and airbags are great inventions and save many lives.

I hope the insurance companies sort you out a good settlement quickly.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 07:26   #8
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the Jag but really pleased to know that, barring some aches & pains (definitely keep a close eye on that headache), you're both OK.

Modern impact systems working properly to absorb the collision energy by deforming and keeping the occupants safe.

Carry on enjoying the V6 .

No rush to hunt down something else.

Take care.

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 07:38   #9
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi Jim.
Oh dear that's awful. Even without any real injuries the trauma and shock is hard on the system. Rest up for a couple of days for the shock to subside. I know the Jag hasn't been a wonderful experience for you but to loose it this way is the worst outcome.
Take Care both of you and if you need any help let me know.
Old 6th October 2017, 07:50   #10
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Glad you are both reasonably okay, just goes to show no matter how much you spend on our cars they don't mean a thing when it comes to idiots like that on the road, the main thing you are both safe, your car did you proud, but after all it is only a piece of metal.
I only ever went through something like this although I was not in the car at the time some I wont mention any swearwords, raked the whole side of one of my cars causing £1500 worth of damage. although no where near the same as your situation, I was also gutted that they never bothered to stop and report it to me.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote