Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th August 2019, 13:03   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default What's your most frustrating job on our R75s?

I'm wound up. Tense. Annoyed. Want to kick something.

Having recently had a rear window mechanism break on my V6 I thought I'd get one jump ahead and grease the other side. Well I can now get the door card off, cut away the foam liner, get the window winder out, spray silicone grease everywhere in less than 10 minutes. A doddle. But, but . . . as to putting the d . . . and b . . . card back: that's summat else. Yes I know that many people on here claim it's a five minute job - but I'd love to see them do it. First there's always white corrosion around the rubber and rust all over those stupid top spring clips. Then the pop-up button falls off. And some of those b . . . white plastic clips fall out or break. Then I have to hunt for more, but they don't stay in. Yes I know you have to angle the top in and pound it down, but then pushing it tight inevitably traps one of those white clips so I have to start all over again.
But eventually I do get it in -takes me half an hour if I'm lucky - but dread opening and slamming the door in case the card jumps off. As I'm struggling I always wonder how they did it on the production line? If I'd been at Cowley I've no doubt the whole plant would have ground to a halt.

So what's your most frustrating job?
Old 29th August 2019, 14:09   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Doing a clutch slave for the second time
Any job that involves working in a confined space at an angle.
Picking something out of the engine bay that's fallen down and hidden under the engine while it lays on top of the under tray.
Working on the clutch master cylinder with it in situ and the clutch pedal retaining clip in place.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 18:47   #3
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

R75 1.8 Con SE Man Saloon

Replacing the actuators for the central locking. Every part of the process is so fiddly, disconnecting the door handles, removing the door cards, replacing the actuator and putting it all back together again, awful job! Have done 3 doors already and the one in the remaining door is failing now...
Old 29th August 2019, 19:41   #4
agw_01
Regular poster

MG ZT

Aux belt on the CDT... even with a spanner ground down to fit over the tensioner nut, get it wrong and you could lose some fingers!
agw_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2019, 14:53   #5
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
I'm wound up. Tense. Annoyed. Want to kick something.

Having recently had a rear window mechanism break on my V6 I thought I'd get one jump ahead and grease the other side. Well I can now get the door card off, cut away the foam liner, get the window winder out, spray silicone grease everywhere in less than 10 minutes. A doddle. But, but . . . as to putting the d . . . and b . . . card back: that's summat else. Yes I know that many people on here claim it's a five minute job - but I'd love to see them do it. First there's always white corrosion around the rubber and rust all over those stupid top spring clips. Then the pop-up button falls off. And some of those b . . . white plastic clips fall out or break. Then I have to hunt for more, but they don't stay in. Yes I know you have to angle the top in and pound it down, but then pushing it tight inevitably traps one of those white clips so I have to start all over again.
But eventually I do get it in -takes me half an hour if I'm lucky - but dread opening and slamming the door in case the card jumps off. As I'm struggling I always wonder how they did it on the production line? If I'd been at Cowley I've no doubt the whole plant would have ground to a halt.

So what's your most frustrating job?
No No No, in production the entire door/s were fully assembled before put on car all they had to do was connect wiring harness up and screw door to body, time taken 3 seconds.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2019, 16:08   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Clutch master cylinder bleeding/top up. Any other car it's a five minute job. My last 75 manual took an hour and also cost me a bad back and a cruciate ligament!
Old 31st August 2019, 04:32   #7
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

The front drop links, specifically the top nut.
How difficult would it have been to design the rotten thing
so that you could get tools on the nut.
I have managed to live over 60 years without having to buy crowsfoot spanners, and now I own a set. They didn't help much by the way!
Old 31st August 2019, 12:41   #8
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
The front drop links, specifically the top nut.
How difficult would it have been to design the rotten thing
so that you could get tools on the nut.
I have managed to live over 60 years without having to buy crowsfoot spanners, and now I own a set. They didn't help much by the way!
An angle grinder or a reciprocating hack saw saves a lot of grunting and scraped knuckles if they are solid. Take the weight to the just off position with an extra jack and grind/cut just under where the top threaded section goes through taking care not to damage the mounting. I've never had to resort to this myself but have seen it done.
Old 31st August 2019, 21:00   #9
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Washing it....

Go for a drive and I end up having to do it all again!

Actually I love it!

Sorry .... went off topic there.

I always seem to have to press (turn off) the air re-circulation button when I first start the car. Why does it default to that each time?

Although if that's the most frustrating thing for me I must be pretty happy overall! ...

Happy Roving all

John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2019, 21:06   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

There is a knack with the door cards, place them on a soft surface (inside facing upwards) then stand on the pressed steel plate that holds the plastic handle clips in place, this will push the plate a few mm inwards and your door card will fit nice and tightly.

(a Dave_Lincs tip) He does have his uses.....