Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd September 2019, 05:01   #1
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default Thomas Cook collapses

Sadly this has been on the cards for a while - another example of how our changing buying habits are having an impact.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 06:21   #2
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Thousands of job losses.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:11   #3
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I feel for Thomas Cook and it's staff this morning, but European travellers with thanks to the EU travel directive from 2015 they'll be reimbursed all costs, this is the EU helping stricken travellers.
Boris Johnson, the people's PM, wants rid of this type of rule, red tape to him, and just read the heartless statement by the Government regarding a possible ‘bail-out’ of the Company.
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:42   #4
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Agreed with all that's said, now, if Thomas Cook had been a bank that had been badly run ...

Another sign of the times, it is sad for all involved, I read the directors are under fire for the many millions they have taken out over the last few years in bonus's even though TC have been sailing very close to the edge.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:42   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

There is more to it than spending habits of consumers unfortunately. Poor investment (a lot of companies were caught out with this due to increased internet spending, when companies invested in property portfolios - high street presence for example, currys and jessops) and old generous pension schemes that needed propped up later in company life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
I feel for Thomas Cook and it's staff this morning, but European travellers with thanks to the EU travel directive from 2015 they'll be reimbursed all costs, this is the EU helping stricken travellers.
Boris Johnson, the people's PM, wants rid of this type of rule, red tape to him, and just read the heartless statement by the Government regarding a possible ‘bail-out’ of the Company.
Wow! That was quick!

But at a govt non EU level, why should my tax payments be used to prop up a mismanaged company when my nhs is failing? That is a simple answer to question and has been discussed many times ref the collapse of mgr, not to mention one that does not need to be raised to denigrate this into a political or EU topic of discussion.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:54   #6
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

I think that any repatriations will take place courtesy of ATOL which has been around since the early 70s. Muggings should not have to pick up the tab for this if ATOL is properly run and properly funded by those who might benefit. Anything otherwise constitutes a subsidy which is not fair to muggings, many of whom will have never had and maybe never will have a foreign jolly. It is also very unfair to the UK's home-based venues and attractions which struggle to compete in the holiday and tourist markets.

Last edited by WillyHeckaslike; 23rd September 2019 at 11:56..
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:36   #7
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

And remember, whenever booking holidays or anything that is "expensive" pay at least a deposit on your credit card or all of it as CC's offer great consumer protection against these things. Even if you just pay the deposit you can claim the whole purchase price back from the CC company. Personally I don't use my CC much at all except for this kind of thing. As has already been stated the management of Thomas Cook certainly don't seem to have helped in this sorry saga at all.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 13:23   #8
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

This is awful for those on hols and the ordinary shop and ancillary staff. I don't give a tinker's cuss about the difficulties of the management though, they have already had their bonuses and perks and have also disposed of staff perks of £millions of low-priced share options.

This has absolutely nothing whatsoever at all to do with any form of government, anywhere and of any colour. Decisions and subsequent development taken in 2017 by other entities were, in fact, inferior to those that were already existing within UK jurisdiction. I wish posters would at least take trouble to offer creditable citations to verify comment.

If you are to protect Thomas Cook, why not Philip Green or that chancer the trainer shop guy? What tosh. The business model failed, that's all it is.

Last edited by wraymond; 23rd September 2019 at 13:26..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 13:36   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
Well that was what my post was about - the EU Directive - so it is a good idea then !

Bazaar, you really need to make your mind up - Good or Bad, it is not difficult!
What you were trying to do, was to interject without basis, how after brexit we as a nation would not have this protection of a particular eu directive. There is no reason to suggest that a GB directive would not be put into place to offer the same level of protection. (I believe similar protection existed in days before eu directives via abta anyway).

The sky is falling and we are all doomed..... hows that? Please just stop ...... please.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 13:54   #10
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
What you were trying to do, was to interject without basis, how after brexit we as a nation would not have this protection of a particular eu directive. There is no reason to suggest that a GB directive would not be put into place to offer the same level of protection. (I believe similar protection existed in days before eu directives via abta anyway).

The sky is falling and we are all doomed..... hows that? Please just stop ...... please.

‘The sky is falling and we are all doomed...’

You have taken this thread to a whole new level
There is me thinking that it is good for the Thomas Cook Travellers to have some reassurance in difficult times
Well before I get further trolled, I will not be posting any further comments on this thread.
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote