Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th January 2020, 14:30   #1
billh
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default What's My Problem? Please advise

1.8T 109K miles , owned the car for over 10years. I think I know what I need to do, please confirm!
Negatives:
Coolant loss about 1/2 litre every 50 miles
A lot of steam from exhaust
Some mayo at the oil filler cap and in breather pipe to inlet manifold

Positives:
Engine runs fine, much as it always did
All four spark plugs look the same and ok.
Can't see any water in the cylinders or blown out of plug holes when engine turned over(cold)
IMG replaced about 1000miles ago and this week taper washers fitted to top manifold studs (as recommended here).
No external coolant leakage
No overheating
No sign of oil or smell of exhaust in expansion tank.

Thanks in advance for advice ( please don't say scrap it!)

Last edited by billh; 24th January 2020 at 14:38..
billh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2020, 15:16   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

steam from exhaust will happen when exhaust is cold and in cold weather, mayo in the filler cap could be that the car is not being used enough each journey and you have condensation in the oil. A log run where the engine gets hot would clear this but
it could also be water in the oil and with you losing 1/2 litre of coolant every 50 miles I would be concerned about water getting into the oil and the dreaded HGF comes to mind.

good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2020, 15:27   #3
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

That amount of water I'd say HGF, sadly as we all know the K series engine is very prone for it.

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2020, 16:22   #4
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Get expert advice. See if one of the traders on here live close by, they might be able to help.

My 1.8t is on 208,700 miles.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2020, 16:24   #5
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

simple test - take her for a good 10 mile thrash at motorway speed - leave her overnight - open the expansion tank and if you get a very audible escape of gas it points to exhaust gas in the coolant system and points to HGF - also smell the coolant in the tank - can you smell exhaust gases.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2020, 16:29   #6
Yorkshire GOC

Also this test as per T-Cut

"Try a fast pressurisation test. With the engine stone cold, open the header and check/adjust the coolant level to the correct level . Replace cap. Start the engine and with your foot on the throttle, raise the turnover to around 3000rpm. Keep this going for around 30 seconds. Turn engine off. It will still be relatively cool, so remove the pressure cap and see if there's any pressure buildup. If coolant surges into the filler neck or actually overflows, you can be pretty sure the gasket's failed"

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Old 24th January 2020, 17:45   #7
billh
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
Also this test as per T-Cut

"Try a fast pressurisation test. With the engine stone cold, open the header and check/adjust the coolant level to the correct level . Replace cap. Start the engine and with your foot on the throttle, raise the turnover to around 3000rpm. Keep this going for around 30 seconds. Turn engine off. It will still be relatively cool, so remove the pressure cap and see if there's any pressure buildup. If coolant surges into the filler neck or actually overflows, you can be pretty sure the gasket's failed"
OK, just done this test. Absolutely no pressure build up or surging or fumes or oil in the expansion tank. It looked exactly the same as before I started the engine.
Where to go from here?
I'm concerned that continued use and constant coolant topping up may contaminate the oil and damage the turbo. The oil level isn't rising noticeably on the dip stick.

Last edited by billh; 24th January 2020 at 17:52.. Reason: added "coolant" last para.
billh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2020, 18:18   #8
Yorkshire GOC

Suggest you do the test in my earlier post - a motorway thrash - if that does not generate any audible sound of exhaust gas escaping it points to your gasket being OK.

Old 24th January 2020, 21:17   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Failing all that then make a careful check on all the cooling system hose clips. Anti-freeze leaves traces as it evaporates.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2020, 11:42   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

My 1.8T recently dumped the coolant into the sump. It wasn't overheated or stressed, it simply happened. Prior to that, I'd been topping it up with a cupful of coolant every couple of weeks. I knew something was wrong, but it happened before I'd a chance to work on it.

The problem was the OEM elastomer head gasket. The 'rubber' seals around the oil channels had simply delaminated from the metal. The fire rings were perfect.

With this sort of failure, you don't get pressurisation in the cooling system. It's very insidious because there are few outward signs. Mayo under the oil filler cap is one as is steam being emitted from the open oil filler neck when the hot engine's running. Cold weather is best for this test.

I replaced the gasket with the latest elastomer type from DMGRS.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 25th January 2020 at 11:51.. Reason: Replaced with smaller image.
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote