Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th January 2020, 13:34   #1
midnight

rover 75 saloon

Default Rover 75 V6 Fuel pump installation saga! Help Please!!!

Hello everybody and I hope you are all having a good day!!! Please forgive me for posting this as this issue does seem to have a lot of coverage in your forum and I have endeavoured to find the information that will explain the problem i am encountering but alas I'm unable to find it! So the crux of the problem is I'm installing a new in tank fuel pump and after three days trying and searching for answers, I'm completely flummoxed. The new replacement pump is different to the one I have removed that simply pulls straight out,the new one has a reservoir and off centre top which I just can't get to line up. The problem seems to be a plastic cradle in the tank which the old pump would sit in, but is obstructing the new one from fitting??? The best most helpful thread was in the technical information where a user called artic shows photos of him removing the exact same pump i am trying to install, but alas for whatever reason I'm unable to find the information about reinstalling such a pump!!! I'm certain that the information is on here and I have just missed it due to my frantic state of mind at the moment!!! So apologies again and thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can provide!!!
midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2020, 13:40   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Just hold on a short while as Arctic will very soon spot your post.

He's a very helpful gentleman.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2020, 13:57   #3
midnight

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Just hold on a short while as Arctic will very soon spot your post.

He's a very helpful gentleman.---

Thankyou I am having a leisurely coffee and sausage roll to help decompress in the meantime!!!
Old 25th January 2020, 14:07   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight View Post
Thankyou I am having a leisurely coffee and sausage roll to help decompress in the meantime!!!
He may be out shopping, so I would line up some biscuits and a slice of cake too! As a Rover owner, you should learn to take things at a leisurely pace!
Old 25th January 2020, 14:10   #5
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Not sure if you are diesel or petrol though??? Oops! I see that you have a V6 petrol.

Last edited by roverbarmy; 25th January 2020 at 15:14..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2020, 14:42   #6
midnight

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
He may be out shopping, so I would line up some biscuits and a slice of cake too! As a Rover owner, you should learn to take things at a leisurely pace!

Ha Ha Ha, Yes it certainly seems that the Rover lifestyle is a more leisurely one. Only bought the car last Saturday and Thursday evening I received a call from my partner who had gone to collect her late mothers items about 40 miles from where we live and was unable to start the car after stalling. A couple of hours of phone calls back and forth and £170 bill to get her and the car safely home, unfortunately we were going to get the aa cover transferred from our last vehicle but it was one of those I'll do it tomorrow scenarios, lesson learned!!! So with the new fuel pump and recovery charge I've nearly paid for the car twice!!! Let's hope next week is a little easier and hopefully more leisurely...
Old 25th January 2020, 15:21   #7
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Did you check for fuel filter syndrome? The later fuel filters can start to unscrew. By removing the in tank filter, you can re-tighten the filter and fit a clip to hold it in place (FOC - fabled orange clip). This "syndrome" can give the intermittent fuel problems that you mention. Your pump may be OK. Was it running when you turned the key? A running pump and no fuel would indicate a loose fuel filter (separation of the filter from the housing).
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=58868

Last edited by roverbarmy; 25th January 2020 at 15:25..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 09:14   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Did you check for fuel filter syndrome? .... This "syndrome" can give the intermittent fuel problems that you mention. Your pump may be OK.

Saul, how did you reach the conclusion that your fuel pump has failed? On the petrol engines this is extremely rare. I can remember only one case in over ten years.

Simon
Old 26th January 2020, 13:10   #9
midnight

rover 75 saloon

Hello again people and thanks for the replys. The diagnosis of the fuel pump actually came from the recovery mechanic who assured my partner that this was a common fault he had seen many times with the Rover 75. I've also had the same experience with an old e34 BMW I owned which had exactly the same symptoms as the Rover and the dreaded 1/4 tank syndrome, that was cured with a new pump and so it was just through that experience and the recovery guy saying that i have arrived at this conclusion. Unfortunately i have accidentally broken a tiny piece off the old pu!p which the fuel pipe connected to and have also snapped the float arm off the new pump trying to manoeuvre it in place. To be honest I'm at my wits end, totally my fault i appreciate that in hindsight maybe a little more research before diving in would have been advantageous but it is what it is. So if anyone knows where i could get a used pump like the one i removed I think maybe that would be the best place to start again!!!
Old 26th January 2020, 13:33   #10
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight View Post
Hello again people and thanks for the replys. The diagnosis of the fuel pump actually came from the recovery mechanic who assured my partner that this was a common fault he had seen many times with the Rover 75. I've also had the same experience with an old e34 BMW I owned which had exactly the same symptoms as the Rover and the dreaded 1/4 tank syndrome, that was cured with a new pump and so it was just through that experience and the recovery guy saying that i have arrived at this conclusion. Unfortunately i have accidentally broken a tiny piece off the old pu!p which the fuel pipe connected to and have also snapped the float arm off the new pump trying to manoeuvre it in place. To be honest I'm at my wits end, totally my fault i appreciate that in hindsight maybe a little more research before diving in would have been advantageous but it is what it is. So if anyone knows where i could get a used pump like the one i removed I think maybe that would be the best place to start again!!!
As you're in Norwich, give Trikey a PM, he's not that far and a whizz
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote