Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd June 2010, 06:53   #1
Charles
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connossieur SE

Default Clutch problem

I have an unusual problem with the hydraulic clutch on my Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur. It became increasingly difficult to change gear with the engine running (but not with the engine stopped). Eventually the clutch failed altogether. A friend who used to be in the trade concluded that a new slave cylinder was required, and advised me to have a new clutch fitted at the same time since the car has done over 100,000 miles.

Two garages quoted prices in the region of £1,200 but my local garage, F R Pulleyn of Haxby, York, quoted £675 so I arranged for the car to be taken there. On looking at it, however, they refilled the system with brake fluid, bled and pressurised it and could find nothing further wrong with it. As the clutch was then working perfectly, they suggested leaving it at that.

The clutch then worked perfectly for three days but suddenly failed altogether when I was changing gear at a junction. There was a "clunk" and the pedal went right to the floor and stayed there without having any effect. Fortunately, I had just engaged first gear so I thought I could limp home. On the way, I managed to prise the pedal up from the floor with my foot, pumped it a few times, and it started working normally again.

I took the car back to the garage the following morning but it was still working perfectly and the garage could see nothing wrong with it. I was advised to carry on using it and go back if further problems arose. That was yesterday.

The clutch continued to work perfectly for the rest of the day but obviously I have no confidence in it and am concerned that it may fail again without warning.

The garage can suggest no explanation for the sudden failure and recovery and neither can I.

Obviously I don't want to pay out £675 for a new clutch and cylinder if it can be avoided, but equally I don't want to be left with a clutch that only works when it feels like it! Has anyone else encountered a similar situation, or can anyone suggest a solution, please?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 07:48   #2
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

I would think that your freinds initial diagnosis and advice is spot on. If there is no sign of any clutch fluid leaking in the cabin, it's a fair bet that the slave cylinder has had it, afterall, the fluid must be going somewhere.

When the garage said they could find no fault, did they actually inspect the slave cylinder? It seems unlikely from what you say, as it's quite a big job to get to it (gearbox out jobby).

Cliff

No. 4 of 6

Last edited by Teflon; 23rd June 2010 at 07:51..
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:28   #3
amableson
Gets stuck in

Ex Rover 75 owner

I am afraid that looking at the infomation you have given us that the problem is with a leaking slave cylinder as the problem sorts itself out when the clutch is refilled, i would suggest that the hydraulic system is bled thoroughly and if it happens again then you will have to have the clutch changed.
Old 23rd June 2010, 19:30   #4
Charles
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connossieur SE

Thanks, chaps. I was coming to the same conclusion.

Still doesn't explain why the clutch "came back to life" after failing, though; that has me completely baffled.

I'll keep an eye on the situation and report any further developments.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote