Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th October 2019, 19:32   #1
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Default Recommend me a diesel estate for a daily driver

Don't shoot me down here, I love my ZT-T, but several little niggles and issues with it mean that I'm now very seriously considering updating it for something newer as a daily driver. I'd love to continue with the ZT-T in all honesty, but at 15 years old and 170k, I would really like something newer and more reliable to get me to work. I just don't have the time or money to spend on it to keep the MG in the condition it deserves. I'll probably keep the ZT-T as a weekend car, funds allowing.

I did briefly flirt with the idea of an electric car on a lease as 98% of my journeys are on a 50 mile round trip to work, but I do occasionally need to go further afield and I don't feel that the charging infrastructure is really in place for that for me to feel confident. Maybe one for the future.

Needs to be a diesel estate really for economy and practicality purposes.
In an ideal world I'd have a Jag XF estate, but as my budget is £5-6k at best, I think that's out of the window. So considering perhaps a Civic Tourer or a Focus estate. Won't have another Astra as the one I had years ago nearly bored me to death, not to mention having the worst seats of any car since the Fiat 126.

Anyway, I know you guys have a wealth of experience and I'd value your opinions
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 20:06   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Mondeo, never owned on?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 20:49   #3
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Mondeo, never owned on?

macafee2
Yep, owned two of them.

A 1996 Ghia X estate 2.0 4x4. Lovely car, comfy seats. Not the most engaging drive perhaps, but a nice place to be and was very sad when the timing belt snapped.

Then a 2003 2.0 Zetec estate in metallic beige. Capable enough car, but had its problems, so never really gelled with the car. Wasn't sad to see it go.

Would consider another one at the right price.
Old 16th October 2019, 03:30   #4
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I’m doing something similar this week. Need a modern daily drive for clocking up the miles.
I’ve looked at zero tax or £20 per year tax diesel cars.
Ford Focus, Peugeot 308 and Vauxhall Astra. Yes the Astra was soon dismissed as boring but you have to admire the fuel figures and low emissions. On Thursday I view a Focus 1.6 diesel which ticks a lot of boxes. Got a quote in advance for a cam belt and water pump of £295 all inc. so very reasonable. I looked briefly at the Peugeot 208 and felt it was too small. You can’t say their is lack of choice out there.
Old 16th October 2019, 04:28   #5
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Skoda! pretty much bomb proof

vRS estate especially nice

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 16th October 2019 at 04:31..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 06:43   #6
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A work colleague has a Diesel Skoda Superb that he bought with 120k on the clock, he has since done another 50k in it and apart from servicing and consumables has been ''Superb''.

Not my cup of tea as I find it a bit slow and heavy but it depends on what you want from a car. I find having to put my foot on the brake pedal before it will start it an annoying feature but I suppose it is something you would get used to.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 07:43   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Audi A4?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 08:00   #8
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
I’m doing something similar this week. Need a modern daily drive for clocking up the miles.
I’ve looked at zero tax or £20 per year tax diesel cars.
Ford Focus, Peugeot 308 and Vauxhall Astra. Yes the Astra was soon dismissed as boring but you have to admire the fuel figures and low emissions. On Thursday I view a Focus 1.6 diesel which ticks a lot of boxes. Got a quote in advance for a cam belt and water pump of £295 all inc. so very reasonable. I looked briefly at the Peugeot 208 and felt it was too small. You can’t say their is lack of choice out there.
Phew, glad it's not just me... I do feel a bit like a traitor even considering something else, but needs must. Out of that list (Astra/Focus/308) I think the clear winner has got to be the Focus. Never owned one, but driven a few and have always been impressed how easy and good to drive they are.
Old 16th October 2019, 08:12   #9
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Skoda and Audi A4... yes, all perfectly good options.

Having been in a few Superb estates (all airport run taxis) and they seem a very capable car and it ticks all the boxes in many ways. Just something about it leaves me a bit cold, not sure what it is... lack of character perhaps. That's something that I love about the 75/ZT... they have bags of character, are great to drive and are really nice places to be. You can be so forgiving of a car's shortcomings if you actually like the car in the first place

Much the same story with BMW/Audi... very nicely engineered cars, but a little sterile and lacking charm and character... and I don't like the 'aggressive male driver' image they have. I do like the R8 mind, that's a nice looking car.

I like Saabs, but have concerns about parts price and availability after talking to an owner of one. Similarly some Subarus appeal, but was shocked at the prices of some of the Subaru-only parts.

Sorry if I sound impossible to please, but there is still a lot of choice out there. Going to try to test drive a few options at the weekend to see if I can narrow it down. I can probably be persuaded into most things if it brings down my monthly costs (diesel and road tax).

Last edited by BigAde; 16th October 2019 at 08:15.. Reason: .
Old 16th October 2019, 09:14   #10
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Vauxhall Insignia? Look very good value, but I don't have any experience of them (yet!)
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote