Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th October 2015, 20:37   #151
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The earlier 1.8 engines have a conventional themostat. The later egines (from around the 2003-2004 changeover) have a Pressure Relief Thermostat (PRT). Each type is located differently. The conventional/earlier stat is in a plastic housing at the side of the cylinder head near the pump. The PRT is located in the hoses behind the bottom of the radiator.

When later 1.8s get head work in garages unfamiliar with the later PRT system, they quite often fit a new (conventional) stat in the upper housing. When this is done, the engine becomes virtually unusable due to rapid and uncontrollable overheating. It's reported on the forums surprisingly often and leads to lots of frustration and hair pulling until the upper stat is removed and replaced with the 'dummy' as specified by MGR. If you have a PRT, then this error could be what's giving you the grief.

There's an easy way to tell. Look at the large hose that comes from the RHS of the head (as you look at the engine). This turns left and goes along the top of the radiator and enters an elbow on the left top corner of the radiator. Look in the middle of this hose. There's a plastic connector. If this is a T-piece, with a large hose dropping vertically down behind the radiator, then you have a PRT.

To see the PRT you need to look under the front bumper. With the engine underpanel off (if it has one), look underneath at the radiator bottom. The vertical hose comes down and right to connect to the PRT. This is what it looks like.

Check and report back.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 11:45   #152
MOTORMANIA007

MG ZT+ 120

No, I definitely have not got a PRT, I have to hang on until I get the finances to pay another garage to strip down the head again and check the linet heights and document if possible there findings so then if the MLS gasket was not the correct one for those other so called mechanics to fit and is the cause then I shall be definitely seeking my monies back
MOTORMANIA007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 10:52   #153
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts
Default Conclusion..????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORMANIA007 View Post
No, I definitely have not got a PRT, I have to hang on until I get the finances to pay another garage to strip down the head again and check the linet heights and document if possible there findings so then if the MLS gasket was not the correct one for those other so called mechanics to fit and is the cause then I shall be definitely seeking my monies back
Another thread revival,Was the issue with this car ever resolved? and if it was what was the result?

I hate it when we dont get a result to the problem

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 11:14   #154
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

I purchased a robin reliant which had overheating problems. The last owner had used K-seal or something similar in the coolant system to fix a head gasket, and when I opened the head I found all the channels in the water jacket to be clogged with gunge! as well the water pump had problems moving the turbine by hand a this gunge had got into the internals, In the end we transplanted the engine from another reliant and got her running tip top again, but I will never use that stuff in my own cars seeing how much damage it can do if left in the system!