Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th November 2007, 15:39   #1
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default Solved! Webasto FBH Diags

Stop press!
Sending this from the garage

I have my laptop plugged into the the cars K bus via my Resler I bus interface and the Webasto diag software works a treat pictures to follow
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 18:40   #2
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Here we are, note the temp info seems to be a bit odd with burner off you get water temp with burner on the range is up to 30,000 degrees which I think is a bit wrong!

Ths was with the interface connected to the entire K bus hence the ech errors from other devices

First picture, the unit is off

Firing up

Glow plug being powered down after firing up and flame is stabilised

Throtled back to half power once water is up to initial temp

Flat out from cold

Time line of outputs

Model info screen

Old 24th November 2007, 20:04   #3
ragitty
I really should get out more.......

Jeep Cherokee Orvis

Keith that means absolutely nothing to me, but I do know that the work you put into this forum is invaluable. on behalf of many forum users who like myself are mechanically un educated thank you.
Old 24th November 2007, 20:55   #4
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Thanks for that

What it means is anyone with a laptop or by humping their pc out to the car can buy (very cheap) or make (even cheaper) an I bus interface connect it to the K bus on the car or even directly to the FBH and probably find out what is wrong with it, do tests read fbh fault codes etc

Or even just play as I was doing today!

The Webasto software is a free download
Old 24th November 2007, 20:59   #5
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragitty View Post
on behalf of many forum users who like myself are mechanically un educated thank you.
Believe me I know nothing about anything untill I read up on the issue then go and have a tinker

For every success I post about there are a few well err less succefull things I don't mention like trying to unsolder the OBC display from an old cluster, made a complete pigs ear of that I did!
Old 24th November 2007, 21:06   #6
simpsora
Regular poster

2001 2.00 CDT 116 bhp

Excellent work Keith. I am not as technically advanced as you , but am I right in thinking
that if one of the faulty PCB was put in the webasto (ie webasto coming on with K-bus activity), then the above diagnostics may give a further indicator as to what is going wrong on these boards? Thanks again for all your work and perseverence with this (and other problems)I am sure it is appreciated by all club members.

Robert.
simpsora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 21:24   #7
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

That is a good question

I have such a knackered PCB from the Tourer I just sold that had the start on Kbus fault, infact all it did was turn on the combustion fan
It would be nice to know if the board was electronically faulty or just doing daft things because the firmware was corrupted.

I am just not 100% sure I want to pull apart my ok FBH to test it

What I am going to do though as the diags can be used independant of the car is wait till one day a secondhand FBH and fuel pump comes my way from a write off and build a test rig using a suitable fuel tank and an old radiator in the garage

Then I might be able to offer to diagniose a few for members by swapping bits around to identify what is wrong as people can remove them from their cars temporaily and post them or bring them to me.

I am going to PM Andy in Wrexham he has a knackered unit which I would like to have a look at

In the meantime if anyone see a CDT in the breakers with or without FBH I could do with the two connectors plugs for the FBH these will be found on any CDT.

Then I can make up a FBH test lead and could even check them at meets etc
Old 26th November 2007, 15:31   #8
shakennstirred
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 ConnSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Thanks for that

What it means is anyone with a laptop or by humping their pc out to the car can buy (very cheap) or make (even cheaper) an I bus interface connect it to the K bus on the car or even directly to the FBH and probably find out what is wrong with it, do tests read fbh fault codes etc

Or even just play as I was doing today!

The Webasto software is a free download
hi there
can you get a lick up for the software please
British racing green
Harman kardon stereo upgrade//SYNERGY TUNING MODULE/EGR bypass/intake mod
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
shakennstirred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 16:57   #9
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

interface :-
http://www.reslers.de/
Webasto software and manuals
http://techwebasto.com/
Old 31st December 2007, 12:48   #10
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default The next step

Gents I recently bought a job lot, a T100HTM Telestart which came with a brand new (but faulty) FBH a fuel pump and full wiring loom etc. I was really only after the Telestart to upgrade my T80

So because I get quite a few PMs about FBH faults I have decided to use the loom to set up a FBH test rig over the Xmas break
It is not 100% there yet as the dedicated Webasto Diagnostic interface I bought from EBay went up in smoke after about an hour of use on Saturday so I am already £40 out of pocket unfortunately the Resler interface I used for the above test in the car won't work on its own hence I had to buy a proper one however the circuit looks simple enough so I will have a go and improving it!

To prove the rig I also bought a Freelander FBH which works fine and I will resell that on EBay later.

This may appeal to some of you as I intend to offer to test either the whole FBH or just the PCB as the PCB seems to typically be the part most likely to fail, however a failed glow plug can also produce symptoms of a PCB fault.

I have already bought a few other duff units on EBay recently so may have some spares for sale eventually, (body’s burner, glow plug, blower fan heat exchanger etc)

At the moment I just want to know if anyone is interested in having their units tested to establish exactly what is wrong.

If so you will need to remove it from the car, unless you are local enough for me to help, which means using a piece of tubing, e.g. a two or three inch length of 22mmm copper and a couple of jubilee clips to temporarily reconnect the water hoses and to stop dirt getting in I suggest blocking the fuel line up with a suitable screw as well then post it to me.

I will expect you to cover the cost of postage (including return recorded delivery postage) and I will reuse the packing materials you send the unit in, i.e. p&p etc, is entirely in your control.

Just like my T4 sessions I offer I will to avoid being exploited have to charge a nominal fee for the test to cover my time and if the thing can be made to work the fuel used etc

Test will comprise
Check Air fan operates (manually and under diags control)
Check Water pump operates (manually and under diags control)
Check Glow plug and if necessary fit a previously decoked burner and known good glow plug (manually and under diags control)
Check the PCB can under diags control operate my spare fuel pump (I don't want yours sent as it involves too much messing about blocking off and then later bleeding fuel lines etc to remove that)
Check if once the above is complete, the thing fires up or not.

So hopefully by next winter there may be a few more healthy FBH units in owner’s cars!