Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd April 2019, 10:04   #1
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

Default Battery or altenator

can someone shed some light here...

last couple of days battery light showed up with message charge fault...

dissapear and apeared a few times...

today the battery light stayed on, in dignostic mode battery shows 120 at idle... believe its 12.0v so its low, it should show something like 14.0.

someone have a clue if it is battery or alternator?

thanks .
super s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 10:37   #2
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Most likely the brushes, as it was intermittent before total failure. Check battery connections and leads on alternator and starter, If all's well I'd try a new regulator/brush pack as it can be replaced without removing the alternator. Check there is copper left on the slip rings before fitting new regulator as it's pointless if they are worn. If required new alternator can be fitted from above or below without removing the front of your car. There are How to threads for both methods on here. Good luck. Lee.
Old 23rd April 2019, 10:59   #3
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

thanks very much Lee.

do i need any reference to buy the brush and regulator pack?
also could you explain a bit better what you told about the slip rings?

believe there are a few hows to for replacing the regulator pack in the forum am i right?
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:23   #4
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Mat at DMGRS has the regulator/ brush packs, he is a trader here so easy to find. When you remove the regulator from the rear of the alternator, you will see a round steel shaft with 2 copper rings on rear end. If you can see a white plastic where is should be copper then it's a new alternator or a slip rings replacement, either way alternator has to come off. I think someone did do a how to for the regulator so we'll worth a search. It's not a difficult job but it is awkward and fiddly. Lee.
Old 23rd April 2019, 13:25   #5
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

thanks very much Lee once again...

i saw the how to but it does not has photos in it so its a bit akward for me...

will try in next couple of days the regulator pack and then let you know

cheers.
Old 23rd April 2019, 21:37   #6
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

Does someone has a few pictures of the procedure of replacing the regulator/brush pack in situ?
Or pics of the bolts i should remove so i can do this myself??? I saw the how to's but all seem the hole alternator replace...
Thanks in advance.
Old 24th April 2019, 07:06   #7
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

Quote:
Originally Posted by super s View Post
Does someone has a few pictures of the procedure of replacing the regulator/brush pack in situ?
Or pics of the bolts i should remove so i can do this myself??? I saw the how to's but all seem the hole alternator replace...
Thanks in advance.

bump bump bump
Old 24th April 2019, 09:45   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by super s View Post
bump bump bump

The bolts and and their positions are slightly different for the two alternators fitted to the CDT.

You first remove the small (6 or 7mm from memory) bolts holding the plastic cover and remove the cover. Then there are onlt two bolts holding the brush pack in place.

Use a mirror on a telescopic arm or a small digital camera to view the bolts to remove.

You will also find a telescopic magnet and collection of 3/8 socket extension arms plus a unioversal joint handy for the job.

It is easy enough to see which alternator type you have (earlier 3 pin or later 2 pin) and then check photographs on ebay. You will need this information in order to order the correct regulator pack as the two are different.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2019, 12:20   #9
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

i already bought the regulator pack according to all the label that is on the alternator.

mine is a valeo yle 102500 50/115A.

i blieve this the first one... however i gave the seller all the data in the label and he told me in seconds that the pack regulator according to this alternator, so think he did not made any mistake...

thanks for your help, believe i will do it properly...
Old 25th April 2019, 20:38   #10
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

just to leave feedback here...

did the regulator pack replacing, the real issue was removing the gum that is hiding the 2 last small screws holding the regulator in place, and the narow space that you have to work... apart from that, i cleaned the rings, saw that they were not even surfaces ...

one of the slips ring was more lower than the other, but saw what seemed a bit more of cooper in both, so believe they will work for more time, at least i will have time to get another alternator for future problems and not being catch without guard...

after all the work the battery was on 10.0v , so the car didn t start, asked my neighbour to give a help with is car and cables, wright there the batterie light went off and the car was giving 14.0v in diagnosis mode...

hope its a job done, the how to from david lawrence was also a big help.

thanks here for all the help in this thread...
hope this thread give courage and confidence for someone else do the job if needed...