Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th August 2007, 15:22   #1
shasha

Rover 75

Default Upgrading Front And Back Speakers?

Does anyone know the speaker specifications for the original speakers in 2003 rover 75? I dont want to have to rip the doors of to see the speakers before i can purchase new ones.
Thanks
shasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 20:30   #2
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

CDT Tourer (SORN) & 2.0 V6 Saloon

They were made by Goodmans in the standard set up and Harman Kardon in the "posh" system. the Goodmans speakers are not regarded as much cop. I don't believe the standard units were anything special. The experts will be along shortly I'm sure.
EnEnGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 11:14   #3
shasha

Rover 75

Default Speaker sizes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnEnGee View Post
They were made by Goodmans in the standard set up and Harman Kardon in the "posh" system. the Goodmans speakers are not regarded as much cop. I don't believe the standard units were anything special. The experts will be along shortly I'm sure.
Do you know the sizes of the speakers? I mean for example the depth of the speaker bases?
Thanks
Old 4th September 2007, 11:09   #4
Spc Vnd

Rover 75

i changed my speakers lately on 2004 75. I bought 6 inch (165 mm) and they fitted. depth was a little bigger on them, but since the original fittings didn't match, it wasn't a problem - fitted good and tight
Spc Vnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 13:39   #5
shasha

Rover 75

Thanks for the input guys.
Got told in another thread that they are actually 16 cm wide and 6.5cm deep with a 3 hole mount.
Old 9th September 2007, 15:24   #6
Jontie
Loves to post

Rover75 2.0L Conn SE Auto

Hi Guy's
For what it's worth, since I upgraded to a BMW radio module I'm more than happy with the sound, lots of bass if I want it and I haven't changed anything else from OEM,
Old 9th September 2007, 19:21   #7
Simon
Banned

-

I should add also that changing the speakers may actually DEGRADE sound performance.

The stock OEM speakers are matched to what the headunits can deliver. If you upgrade the speakers then the headunit may not be able to provide enough power to drive the new speakers efficiently.

If you do consider upgrading your speakers then choose carefully so as not to fit something that your headunit cannot drive properly.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 19:27   #8
Simon
Banned

-

Also, replacing the original speaker mounts and fabricating new ones out of MDF can help improve the sound greatly.

Here is a picture (from Ti Rich's car) of his MDF mount:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Rich View Post
Yes, I did it but it was trial and error to be honest. You can't use the orignal mounts as a template as they are nothing like what you need.

Here is a photo's of the fronts if that helps:-

The fronts are much more difficult than the rears so i suggest you do the rears first!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 19:34   #9
Ti Rich
Gets stuck in

Audi A6 TDi 175

The standard head units are NOT suitable for driving more expensive speakers. Even with a modern more powerful headunit (at least 4 x 50watts) choose a speaker with a high sensitivity (92db or more) as this will be easier to drive. This applies if you are re-using the original mounts (not recommended) or making new as shown above.
ZT CDTi, gone but not forgotten!
Ti Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 16:52   #10
shasha

Rover 75

Thumbs up

Hey guys,
Ive already added a 12" ~300watt RMS subwoofer. This is being run by a monoblock amplifier and ive installed another 4 x 75 watt rms amplifier which is currently running the OEM speakers. To allow the correct power input to be used the OEM deck needed some 'converters'. Soon i will upgrade atleast the front two speakers. I contemplated changing the front deck to a mechanically drived dvd player/screen but this would probably result in loss of steering wheel button functions (ie volume, cruise control). Due to this ive found a processing unit which allows all the sound in the car to be fine tuned to an optimal sound(As good as changing the deck if not better) without having to change the OEM deck . This is a Rockford fosgate '3sixty' processing unit. When its all done i will post photos up.