Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2021, 19:59   #21
planenut
motorvatin
 
planenut's Avatar
 
Rover 1.8T Tourer

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Heathrow
Posts: 5,627
Thanks: 1,096
Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,052 Posts
Default

My thanks again to those who have felt able to make suggestions. After an immense amount of time spent on this, even having taken the matrix out again, today, after my second attempt of the day, I think I have finally got the darn thing in place. I made up another bolt, longer than the original to give my some purchase and a chance at starting the thread off, and then pinching the clamp. I will not know until I can put fluid into it, which after the annoyance of all this, I have put off until the next spell of better weather.

The "W" clamp is as suggested behind the black gunge and I tried taking a picture using a mirror, another suggestion from a member.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2021, 20:45   #22
Eric_m
Regular poster
 
Rover 75 Club 1.8T

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Countesthorpe Leicester
Posts: 76
Thanks: 10
Thanked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I can remember this fun a few years ago, and I ended up making a couple of clamps and a threaded rod to pull the two halves together. No pictures in situ, but I did stumble across the clamps and have just taken a picture. Basically the clamps are fitted each side of the joint and then the nuts on the threaded rod are tightened up to pull the two halves together and compress the sealing ring. The clamp band is then easily fitted. They arn't pretty, but they did the job.

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210121_193532.jpg (74.4 KB, 23 views)
Eric_m is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric_m For This Useful Post:
Old 21st January 2021, 20:59   #23
planenut
motorvatin
 
planenut's Avatar
 
Rover 1.8T Tourer

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Heathrow
Posts: 5,627
Thanks: 1,096
Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,052 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_m View Post
I can remember this fun a few years ago, and I ended up making a couple of clamps and a threaded rod to pull the two halves together. No pictures in situ, but I did stumble across the clamps and have just taken a picture. Basically the clamps are fitted each side of the joint and then the nuts on the threaded rod are tightened up to pull the two halves together and compress the sealing ring. The clamp band is then easily fitted. They arn't pretty, but they did the job.

Eric
nice one, good solution.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2021, 23:35   #24
Arctic
Give to Learn
 
Arctic's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Tourer

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 15,236
Thanks: 854
Thanked 4,869 Times in 2,934 Posts
Default

soldering or even compression joints would be no good, soldering would mean you would not be able to move it should you need to, the compression joint will not work as the alloy pipe is more than the usual 15mm compression joints used in plumbing.

Coolant hose used for the FBH should work with the right clips.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-Mini...72.m2749.l2649

1

2

3



5

Insitu you would maybe have to use another cutter or dremel.
__________________
Arctic
Givology Learn to Give
Everything is Achievable

ad altiora tendo.

Check out the 2020 meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/meets_2014.html

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arctic For This Useful Post:
Old 22nd January 2021, 20:53   #25
COLVERT
Foreign correspondent
 
COLVERT's Avatar
 
R75 Saloon.

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: France/or Devon.
Posts: 12,301
Thanks: 3,274
Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,420 Posts
Default

Quote:---- Arctic.----alloy pipe is more than the usual 15mm compression joints used in plumbing.



How about French compression joints ???----French---10/12/14/16

English-- 11/13/15/17.
__________________
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:12   #26
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in
 
Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chatteris
Posts: 590
Thanks: 206
Thanked 109 Times in 87 Posts
Default

One of my 2 previous 75s was modified by me and lasted approx 10 years
Basically I took out the matrix as it was blocked, and cleaned it, the improvement was worthwhile but after a couple of years I swapped it out for a brand new replacement, which I still have in the shed.
When initially putting it back in I struggled with the clamps on the pipe clips, I never did get them to seal properly. So I bit the bullet and cut the pipes; in fact I removed a short section from each to make things easier. An old length of hose was cut to fit on both pipes, and secured with jubilee clips. I can't remember the dimensions, but would guess 1"-2" of straight hose. When I replaced the matrix with the new one, it was a very easy job. The most difficult part was draining the water out without soaking the carpet too much! There was no leakage in all the years I had it, and if ever I attend to the one in the present car I will do it again.

Stewart
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StewartIngram For This Useful Post:
Old 23rd January 2021, 13:37   #27
GaryGee
Regular poster
 
GaryGee's Avatar
 
MG ZT-T

Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Crewe
Posts: 31
Thanks: 4
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartIngram View Post
One of my 2 previous 75s was modified by me and lasted approx 10 years
Basically I took out the matrix as it was blocked, and cleaned it, the improvement was worthwhile but after a couple of years I swapped it out for a brand new replacement, which I still have in the shed.
When initially putting it back in I struggled with the clamps on the pipe clips, I never did get them to seal properly. So I bit the bullet and cut the pipes; in fact I removed a short section from each to make things easier. An old length of hose was cut to fit on both pipes, and secured with jubilee clips. I can't remember the dimensions, but would guess 1"-2" of straight hose. When I replaced the matrix with the new one, it was a very easy job. The most difficult part was draining the water out without soaking the carpet too much! There was no leakage in all the years I had it, and if ever I attend to the one in the present car I will do it again.

Stewart
Baking tray in footwell with aluminium foil behind pipes to make coolant run into tray
__________________
GaryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryGee For This Useful Post:
Old 23rd January 2021, 15:03   #28
planenut
motorvatin
 
planenut's Avatar
 
Rover 1.8T Tourer

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Heathrow
Posts: 5,627
Thanks: 1,096
Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,052 Posts
Default

Luckily no leakage on my pipe joints, and with that part of the system up to temperature. Now that eliminates the matrix, I will start back at the beginning.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2021, 00:03   #29
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......
 
RogerHeinz57's Avatar
 
Heinz 57 Rover75/MG mix

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Burton Latimer
Posts: 2,441
Thanks: 397
Thanked 991 Times in 681 Posts
Default

It is worth considering how these clamps are treated when they are let go, if they get bent about too much they will become very difficult to re-use as their original shape will of course be distorted, this being the case as they are quite small and join together two flanges with just enough spare to wind up to make the joint seal. Worth considering keeping the clips on the pipework without removing and bending or mis-shaping the clips, making re-fitting a bit easier. I was very lucky with mine many years ago, mainly because Phil T-4 was with me and he managed to re-fit them for me.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2021, 09:57   #30
planenut
motorvatin
 
planenut's Avatar
 
Rover 1.8T Tourer

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Heathrow
Posts: 5,627
Thanks: 1,096
Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,052 Posts
Default

As you say, they are quite flimsy and easily distorted. I will be leaving the cover panels off for a while to ensure no leakage under pressure. The suggestion by a member to use the mirror helps to view the top and back of the clamps.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2020, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd