Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th January 2022, 23:11   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Chinese puzzle, one for the plumbers

A bit of back ground. Apparently this other "hot water" is used when the central heating water, has been heated to such a high temperature by the log burner, instead of it going back to the log burner it is used to heat water in a storage tank and this newly heated water is fed into the central heating when the log burner cools.

Normally a hot water tank has a coil in it for the heated water to go around and in turn heat the water stored in the tank. You then have a feed to the tank and a feed from the tank. This requires 4 pipes, feed to, feed from and 2 for the coil.

Here is the Chinese puzzle.
This tank only has 3 pipes.

Possibilities:-

1. I have had a mans look (not looked properly) and the 4th pipe is there.
2. There is no 4th pipe and we have been lied to.
3. Other, what ever that is.

I have emailed the manufacturer asking for a diagram to tell me what each point that seems to be for a pipe connection is for and to ask if 4 pipes is the minimum that should be connected.

In the mean time, I'm open to suggestions.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 23:41   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Generally on an indirect cylinder you will as you say have a coil where the inlet and outlet are in line above and below each other. Then you will have an inlet into the cylinder usually low level at the back of the cylinder. The hot water outlet of the cylinder is at the very top of it, again usually with an open vented cylinder combined with a vent to the header tank

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2022, 09:08   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Generally on an indirect cylinder you will as you say have a coil where the inlet and outlet are in line above and below each other. Then you will have an inlet into the cylinder usually low level at the back of the cylinder. The hot water outlet of the cylinder is at the very top of it, again usually with an open vented cylinder combined with a vent to the header tank
Thank you. All seems to be as you say except for the inlet. I cant find it.

macafee2
Old 14th January 2022, 09:18   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

If the water is coming out of the hot taps then it must be going in to the cylinder. they are usually the opposite side of the heating coil, low down near the bottom Have fun Ian

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 14th January 2022, 11:29   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
If the water is coming out of the hot taps then it must be going in to the cylinder. they are usually the opposite side of the heating coil, low down near the bottom Have fun Ian
This is an "overflow" tank. The heated water does not go to taps but to the central heating and I think the coil in the hot water cylinder that serves the taps. We have a 290L tank for hot water to taps and a 490L tank that is an overflow of hot water. I cannot see us ever heating this 490L particularly if there is no feed to it

It is a complicated, poorly installed and poorly designed system. We intend to remove the tank that has 3 pipes to it, even if a 4th is found we will remove the tank, pump and motorised valves.
I will post an update once the manufacturer responds.
Oh buyer beware!

macafee2
Old 14th January 2022, 14:34   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Ah, you may find it is not an indirect cylinder then. the purpose of the indirect cylinder is to pass the heat from the central heating water to the domestic hot water without contaminating it.
It could well be that it is a direct cylinder that doesn't actually have a coil fitted in it just two connections to allow the water to circulate. sounds a real Heath Robinson affair.