Notices

Old 14th January 2022, 19:57   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
Where is the feed from the log burner to the tank? is it around the flue or fed through the fire? How is the tank venting off the pressure? Heating water through a log burner leads to uncontrolled temps unless there's some kind of thermostatic shut off. A gas boiler has many controls to stop overheated water but you might not have these kind of controls in that system. Like Dave says, it sounds a bit dodgy in how it's fitted.

complicated. From the log burner the flow and return go to the loft and heat water in a storage tank. This heated water goes to the central heating. If the central heating water continues to get hotter and hotter the water is directed to this 490/5L tank.

just a thought, the vent of this 490/5L tank although connects to the central heating that has an expansion vessel, the vent pipe also has either a bleed valve or pressure release valve as does the tank.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2022, 20:01   #12
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
What you say makes sense but this tank is 490/495 litres. This seems awfully large. There are only 5 radiators and one of those is turned off but there is also underfloor heating that we have not used. Still 490/5L is still very big. All 3 pipes have motorized valves fitted and I would have thought only the flow in or flow out would need a valve to control flow through the coil. Why would the vent need one? The vent connects to the central heating I think. There is an expansion vessel connected to the central heating return but that is in another room. I would need to double check but in the loft either the flow or return to the log burner has a pipe that goes to a header tank, would this not double as expansion. I am sure the other pipe has a pipe connected but I cant think where it goes. This flow and return for the log burner go through a coil in the loft cylinder, the heated water goes to the central heating. There are 2 thermostats connected to the central heating flow at the top of this water cylinder. The first is set to about 30 degrees, when at 30 degrees it opens a valve or two or 3 goodness knows and may or may not start a pump and heated water is then sent to the central heating. The second thermostat is set to about 80 degrees, when this gets to temperature heated water is sent to the 490/495 water cylinder and opens a motorized valve to allow flow into the 490/5 cylinder, I don't know about pumps or any other motorised valves opening.

Avulon, does any of the above make sense? You have had a very good thought, thank you for piping up, any more thoughts?

macafee2

IANAE - Consult an expert- for safety's sake.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2022, 22:24   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
IANAE - Consult an expert- for safety's sake.
Not the reply I was looking for
The bloke that installed this mess was on the Mitsubishi web site as a silver installer. I have had a company out and they could not work out what was going on.
The log burner is going to have to work very hard, very hard indeed and I'm not sure it can work that hard to get the water up to a temperature that would warrant a 490/5L tank.
As a thermostat at about 30 degrees sends water to the central heating, it gets cooled at quite a low temperature. Added to this, the amount of water held in the loft hot water tank seems so little, it all get sent to the central heating and so the tank goes cold. Our heating cycles therefore hot and cold.

I have taken on board what you have said but it is going to be down to DIY to get a handle on how this is plumbed and then perhaps get a professional in to replumb. I am not sure I want to do the plumbing.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote