Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th November 2014, 10:55   #1
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Hydramount Replacement.

I have been asked to describe the Hydramount removal so here goes: THIS IS ON A DIESEL.

hopefully the one pic explains it all.
1. remove the engine undertray and one of the 15mm lower engine mount bolts. Loosen the other lower mount bolt so that it hangs free and will not prevent the engine being swung at the top (see later).
2. Remove the engine cover and then remove the six bolts and one nut marked
'A'. It will aid removal of the casting assembly if you just loosen the bolt marked 'C'.
3. now jack up the engine with wood between the sump to protect it.
4. Now remove the four bolts marked 'B'. If the casting starts to tilt
as you undo these bolts then you must align the engine otherwise
it will be extremely difficult to remove them.
5. You can now wriggle the casting with all its attachments off of the
Hydramount.
6. Hopefully you will be able to unscrew the mount (anticlockwise)
using a drift on the metal collar but, if it proves hard, try pouring
some releasing fluid into the bottom cup (not used on the petrol
models) and leave for five minutes.
7. Fit the new Hydramount as tightly as you can without stressing
the rubber in any way and then refit the casting with the'B'
bolts. Once fully tightened you can remove the engine jacking
gear.
8. Refit the six bolts and one nut marked 'A' leaving the two 15mm bolts (highest in
the picture) until everything else, including the Lower Engine
Mount has been reconnected.
9. Finally, tighten the bolt marked 'C'.
10. Hopefully you will have a remarkably vibration free cabin.

GET THE CORRECT TYPE FOR YOUR ENGINE.

Last edited by wuzerk; 28th November 2014 at 15:03..
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 11:02   #2
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Brilliant - many thanks for taking the trouble to do this - looks relatively straightforward. I will order the new hydramount from DMGRS in the coming days - there might be a slight delay before I get round to fitting it - I had hernia surgery just over a month ago, and am still slightly sore- I am supposed to take it easy for a few more weeks before tackling anything too strenuous. Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on (and how the switch to 15 inch wheels works out).

All the best

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 22:25   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Fred.
Excellent post and big thank you for sharing your knowledge with us cheers Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 16:44   #4
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Well, I did my hydramount this afternoon - this guide was very useful.

One issue on my car was that there was a black metal block welded onto the black bracket that goes over the top of the mount, that prevented access to the 18mm nut on top of the hydramount - what a bummer ! See picture below - this block had a yellow blob painted on it. I thought I could remove bolt C and get to remove the bracket to get at the nut, but no the bolt is too long to clear the inner wing when you try to withdraw it. So, I had to undo the fixings for the steel pipework that runs above the bracket (8mm bolts on the mounting on the inner wing, and brackets on the slam panel), to move the pipes slightly so that the bracket can be swung upwards after loosening bolt C, to allow access to the hydramount nut.

Otherwise, a fairly straightforward job. I squirted some releasing fluid round the mount half an hour before I started, and it came undone with a few taps of a large screwdriver/hammer on metal cut outs. When putting the new mount back in the metal baseplate, a bit of washing up liquid round the rubber base helps it all go together smoothly. A quick test drive showed the car is a bit smoother and quieter and the clutch judder is slightly improved. I still have the irritating zizzing of the door lock buttons though - I suspect this is coming from the road, so perhaps wishbone or anti-roll bushes are to blame.

Pete

PS: I'll try to put photo in a follow-up post- I am having trouble uploading it (probably too big).

Here is the photo:

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hydramount 001.JPG (82.7 KB, 1227 views)

Last edited by Dragrad; 14th April 2015 at 23:35.. Reason: Consecutive posts - Use the edit ;-)
Old 20th December 2014, 18:09   #5
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default metal block

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post

One issue on my car was that there was a black metal block welded onto the black bracket that goes over the top of the mount, that prevented access to the 18mm nut on top of the hydramount - what a bummer ! See picture below - this block had a yellow blob painted on it. I thought I could remove bolt C and get to remove the bracket to get at the nut, but no the bolt is too long to clear the inner wing when you try to withdraw it. So, I had to undo the fixings for the steel pipework that runs above the bracket (8mm bolts on the mounting on the inner wing, and brackets on the slam panel), to move the pipes slightly so that the bracket can be swung upwards after loosening bolt C, to allow access to the hydramount nut.

Otherwise, a fairly straightforward job. I squirted some releasing fluid round the mount half an hour before I started, and it came undone with a few taps of a large screwdriver/hammer on metal cut outs. When putting the new mount back in the metal baseplate, a bit of washing up liquid round the rubber base helps it all go together smoothly. A quick test drive showed the car is a bit smoother and quieter and the clutch judder is slightly improved. I still have the irritating zizzing of the door lock buttons though - I suspect this is coming from the road, so perhaps wishbone or anti-roll bushes are to blame.

Pete

PS: I'll try to put photo in a follow-up post- I am having trouble uploading it (probably too big).
You were unlucky to have the metal block on your car, I queried its purpose some time ago and the consensus was that it was a damper which was not fitted to all of the cars.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 16:03   #6
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Quote:

Pete

Interesting that your car is "a little smoother and quieter". Have you thought about the crank pulley. My car vibrates too much and isnt as smooth as it should be. I wondering pulley or hydromount??????
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 17:09   #7
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Dear Jonathan,

I have thought about the crank pulley amongst other things, but since this is a relatively low mileage car (36,000), that stood unused for 5 years after being built in 2005, my current thinking is that the rubber components have aged/hardened due to lack of use and this is the reason for the slightly harsher engine noise/vibration than on my previous 2001 car. The old hydramount and lower engine mounting I have taken off the car seem hard/rigid compare to the slightly softer, more flexible feel of the new items, so this supports this theory.

Replacing the engine mounts is a cheaper option as a first try compared to the crank pulley. Do you think the crank pulley could be at fault after such low mileage ? - what are the symptoms ? - has anyone on here found that changing the pulley makes the car smoother ??

From reading this forum, there could be other avenues to explore, such as cleaning out the inlet manifold (on the 'to do' lost) or changing the lower wishbone bushes - these can affect engine vibration/smoothness, apparently. One thing at a time !

Thanks for your comments, and I will be interested in any experience you or other members have on reducing engine harshness/vibration. It is not a serious problem on my car, I am really just 'fettling' it to try to get it back to 'as new' condition as possible.

Cheers
Pete
Old 22nd December 2014, 17:38   #8
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Quote:
Dear Jonathan,

I have thought about the crank pulley amongst other things, but since this is a relatively low mileage car (36,000), that stood unused for 5 years after being built in 2005, my current thinking is that the rubber components have aged/hardened due to lack of use and this is the reason for the slightly harsher engine noise/vibration than on my previous 2001 car. The old hydramount and lower engine mounting I have taken off the car seem hard/rigid compare to the slightly softer, more flexible feel of the new items, so this supports this theory.

Replacing the engine mounts is a cheaper option as a first try compared to the crank pulley. Do you think the crank pulley could be at fault after such low mileage ? - what are the symptoms ? - has anyone on here found that changing the pulley makes the car smoother ??

From reading this forum, there could be other avenues to explore, such as cleaning out the inlet manifold (on the 'to do' lost) or changing the lower wishbone bushes - these can affect engine vibration/smoothness, apparently. One thing at a time !

Thanks for your comments, and I will be interested in any experience you or other members have on reducing engine harshness/vibration. It is not a serious problem on my car, I am really just 'fettling' it to try to get it back to 'as new' condition as possible.

Cheers
Pete
I envy you having a 36k car; mine's done 207k. You might be right about not needing a CP after only 36k; other members will have a better idea than I.
I have cleaned out the inlet manifold (do this when having clean looking hands doesn't matter. You wont get them looking clean for about a week) and replaced the wishbone rear bushes. The bottom engine mount on mine is a modified Mondeo unit. My car vibrates more than Id like. Just trying to work out whether to do the Hydromount or the CP; cant afford both though.
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:19   #9
RoverDan
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Tourer, Limo

Re the noise and vibration, I have just had the three major engine mounts changed by my garage (wimped out!) on my 140k mile Tourer. That car was noticeable more clattery at tick over and low speeds than the saloon (80k miles) or the limo (60k miles), all three being diesel autos.

The large circular rubber mount of the upper mount (shown top left in the photo above with 5 cast ridges on the housing) was visibly torn, hence changing the lot of them. I had previously done the lower tie/mount with a modified Mondeo item, which was good when checked.

Now the Tourer is as quiet as the others, and feels 'smoother' in a way that is hard to pinpoint. I also seem to have lost the annoying tick-over wheel vibration that the saloon is now starting to show quite markedly.

I have ordered another hydramount on its own this time, and will compare before and after on the saloon when this is changed. Might even man-up and do it myself now I have a guide - thanks Wuzerk

CDT
auto Club Saloon
CDT
auto Connoisseur SE Tourer
CDT
auto Connoisseur MacNeillie Limousine
RoverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:34   #10
jonathan63
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverDan View Post
Re the noise and vibration, I have just had the three major engine mounts changed by my garage (wimped out!) on my 140k mile Tourer. That car was noticeable more clattery at tick over and low speeds than the saloon (80k miles) or the limo (60k miles), all three being diesel autos.

The large circular rubber mount of the upper mount (shown top left in the photo above with 5 cast ridges on the housing) was visibly torn, hence changing the lot of them. I had previously done the lower tie/mount with a modified Mondeo item, which was good when checked.

Now the Tourer is as quiet as the others, and feels 'smoother' in a way that is hard to pinpoint. I also seem to have lost the annoying tick-over wheel vibration that the saloon is now starting to show quite markedly.

I have ordered another hydramount on its own this time, and will compare before and after on the saloon when this is changed. Might even man-up and do it myself now I have a guide - thanks Wuzerk
Very interesting stuff. Id be interested to hear what difference changing the hydramount makes to the Tourer and the vibrating steering wheel.