Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st January 2022, 20:12   #11
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Simon. The poster has got a 1.8 not a 2.5v6.
Old 21st January 2022, 20:54   #12
Kaloz

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I took that to refer to temperatures not engine type, however, would there be any interest in the procedure I used to replace the thermostat? I did some searching through the forums, but could not find anything specific to 1.8 thermostat replacement.
Nigel
Kaloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2022, 08:32   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Yes, thanks Dave, hence my reference to 104˚ not 100˚ in my last post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaloz View Post
... could not find anything specific to 1.8 thermostat replacement.
I haven't come across anything either Nigel. There's plenty about the PRT of course but you don't have one of those on your 1.8.

Simon
Old 22nd January 2022, 10:45   #14
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Here's a pic of the housing at the back of the block
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-PEM10025LP
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2022, 16:19   #15
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
I have just replaced my thermostat - - my engine heats up quickly and runs at 93-96c, depending on speed, with 99 showing when idling in slow moving or stopped traffic. Are these temperatures ok?
There's nothing inherently wrong with them. The normal running temperature will depend on the rating of the stat you fitted. The default stat for this engine is nominally '88°C', but all 1.8/1.8T's run somewhat warmer than that. Stats also have a production tolerance which means the 'specs' are approximate. I dare say there are also several suitable varients, 88°C and 82°C being typical.
Quote:
Top and bottom hoses were replaced. Interestingly, the bottom hose has a plastic joint to separate the two halves of that hose - not one unit like the original (from Rimmer Bros) so it would not be to difficult to fit a PRT thermostat.
Intriguing. So it has a simple short plastic joiner? Where did you buy it?

Quote:
Did consider this but couldn’t work out the plumbing arrangements.
Swapping to a PRT system was popular not so long ago and there were hose kits available, which included the PRT. Here's one for the 1.8 turbo: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164990851...EAAOSww31dwLf-Haven't searched for the non-turbo version, but it's a relatively simple job. The vital thing is to remove the original one from th upper housing. This avoids the DTJ problem (Double Thermostat Jeopardy) For more on that: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=013872...e&q=DTJ&oq=DTJ

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2022, 19:28   #16
Kaloz

Rover 75 Saloon

Smile 1.8 running temperatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
There's nothing inherently wrong with them. The normal running temperature will depend on the rating of the stat you fitted. The default stat for this engine is nominally '88°C', but all 1.8/1.8T's run somewhat warmer than that. Stats also have a production tolerance which means the 'specs' are approximate. I dare say there are also several suitable varients, 88°C and 82°C being typical.
Intriguing. So it has a simple short plastic joiner? Where did you buy it?

Swapping to a PRT system was popular not so long ago and there were hose kits available, which included the PRT. Here's one for the 1.8 turbo: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164990851...EAAOSww31dwLf-Haven't searched for the non-turbo version, but it's a relatively simple job. The vital thing is to remove the original one from th upper housing. This avoids the DTJ problem (Double Thermostat Jeopardy) For more on that: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=013872...e&q=DTJ&oq=DTJ

TC
By writing in that manner I have given a wrong impression.
The new hose was purchased from Rimmer Bros, with a short plastic joiner at the bottom (P clip end) with a small diameter hose leading back up to the header tank. Did not take it apart to check, but it did look like a PRT.
Placed my old heat shield onto the new hose; the press clips were broken/came apart,; it now has fencing ties to hold it in place
If considered relevant, I will record my method of thermostat change on the 1.8.
Old 22nd January 2022, 19:31   #17
Kaloz

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
By writing in that manner I have given a wrong impression.
The new hose was purchased from Rimmer Bros, with a short plastic joiner at the bottom (P clip end) with a small diameter hose leading back up to the header tank. Did not take it apart to check, but it did look like a PRT.
Placed my old heat shield onto the new hose; the press clips were broken/came apart,; it now has fencing ties to hold it in place
If considered relevant, I will record my method of thermostat change on the 1.8.
Edit- it did NOT look like a PRT
Old 22nd January 2022, 20:35   #18
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

My 1.8t has a PRT fitted and runs steady at 87 degrees, on long down hill sections it drops to 81, and up a steep hill will rise to 89. In stationary traffic it rises to 92.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2022, 09:14   #19
Kaloz

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
My 1.8t has a PRT fitted and runs steady at 87 degrees, on long down hill sections it drops to 81, and up a steep hill will rise to 89. In stationary traffic it rises to 92.
That is interesting, and raises thoughts on fitting a PRT. As I have said, the plumbing arrangements would need to be carefully worked out beforehand.
Just added up the cost- £284.70 including VAT, if all hoses and T pieces were purchased. £85.20 of that is for one single hose. The total is almost the cost of a stainless steel exhaust, which I’d rather have. I may consider a change to an 82c thermostat instead.
But first I will have the fan speeds checked out instead of risking overheating by trying to get them to cut in myself. If they are okay and cut in at about 104c, then I shall accept that this engine runs at 93c.
Later this week I begin to dismantle and re-build a Standard Diesel engine-a different ball game altogether.
Old 23rd January 2022, 09:38   #20
Kaloz

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
That is interesting, and raises thoughts on fitting a PRT. As I have said, the plumbing arrangements would need to be carefully worked out beforehand.
Just added up the cost- £284.70 including VAT, if all hoses and T pieces were purchased. £85.20 of that is for one single hose. The total is almost the cost of a stainless steel exhaust, which I’d rather have. I may consider a change to an 82c thermostat instead.
But first I will have the fan speeds checked out instead of risking overheating by trying to get them to cut in myself. If they are okay and cut in at about 104c, then I shall accept that this engine runs at 93c.
Later this week I begin to dismantle and re-build a Standard Diesel engine-a different ball game altogether.