Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st November 2018, 12:22   #1
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Default K series questions and parts?

Hi everyone,

With my parents now owning my old 75 which is currently awaiting its rear subframe and suspension to be rebuilt, i find myself contemplating a 1.8 k series (not for the first time). Running costs of my old 75 v6 is the reason my parents now own it.

So my questions are: is the headgasket failure rate really that bad? Mainly.. Is there a complete cure of this issue bringing the k series hgf to that of any other vehicle ?

Secondly are parts for 75s starting to dry up at all? Any parts that are difficult to obtain?

I understand the k series engine has been used in many different applications and in guises from morgans and kit cars from 1.4 1.6 and 1.8.
Subsequently about 12 years ago my parents owned a 414 400 on a T plate. I must say it was a nice car and felt solid from what i remember but even after just 6-8 months of my parents ownership. The headgasket failed.

I understand the k series can be a good engine but my belief is those who have owned the 1.8 and suffered the headgasket issues have simply moved on to other cars or have gone on to own the v6 or diesel engined models of 75 instead.

I find myself often pawing over pages and forum and articles, just seeing wether it would be worth the gamble of owning the 75 with the 1.8 k series fitted and if the headgasket was ever an issue, heeding advice and thoughts of others as towards making the k series just as reliable as any other engine out there.

But is it really worth it or would i just be aswell buying the 2.0 and sucking up the running costs?. Diesels arent possible due to eminent emissions charges near to where i.live and only travelling 6 miles to work and back so wouldnt do the diesel any good.

Tia!
Rob
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 12:25   #2
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

The hgf issue is real. People will say a properly maintained kseries won't let you down. Ask Flying Banana how many head gaskets she's been through. I doubt anybody maintains their cars better than he does.

You can reduce the risk, you can't eradicate it.
75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 13:25   #3
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

My view on this is that as to whether you suffer HGF with your 1.8 depends on good maintenance , and that little bit of good luck everyone needs.
I know Flying Banana is meticulously looked after, I have seen all the posts, and it's a damn fine car, maybe the gods are not kind, no matter what you do, it happens.
I can only talk about my own 1.8. Since I got him 4 years ago, I have covered 40k without an issue with HGF.
I followed the recommendations of changing cam and auxiliary belts, water pump, and fitted a modified head gasket, at the 90k interval ( call it insurance if you like ).
The K engine is as strong as ever, just gone past 114k.
Regular coolant/oil level checks is the name of the game, if only for peace of mind. Mine is a weekly check.

I don't regret getting a 1.8 not for a moment.

This is, of course, my own experience.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 13:36   #4
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75c View Post
The hgf issue is real. People will say a properly maintained kseries won't let you down. Ask Flying Banana how many head gaskets she's been through. I doubt anybody maintains their cars better than he does.

You can reduce the risk, you can't eradicate it.

Well I own two K series engined cars,,A Rover 25 1.4 and an MGF 1.8.I just do regular maintenance on them..

The 25 has 94K on the clock and the MGF has 83K on it and both still on the original Head Gaskets so they are capable of lasting.Having said that I always check the water levels before any reasonable journey is undertaken.Also I keep an eye on the temp gauge whilst driving .

It is one of these situations that "You pay your money and you take your chance"

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 13:41   #5
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

You can get a good one like my old 414 that ive done 80k bringin it up to 120k before sale and never experienced hgf or a bad one like my 45 1.6 that i had 3 hgf within 40k both had fsh
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 13:50   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

All the parts you're likely to need can be had from Forum Traders like DMGRS https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/

He stocks all the latest options in 1.8K head gaskets if you happen to need one as well as the usual wearing parts that everyone needs now and then. Don't be put off the 1.8, it's a great engine (more especially in the Turbocharged version). And membership here will keep you on the right tack.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 14:23   #7
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Don't believe the HYPE

the K-series is a GREAT Engine

OR - buy into the HYPE and go for a "BulletProof BMW" Chain Driven Diesel

over the past 7 months...(lol... I know)... I've sourced a lot of parts for my K-series No real issue with availability, and prices are Not Crazy either ..... (my repairs are NOT due to HGF)

my Car suffered Head Gasket Failure around 1 year into my ownership - this was due to issues I inherited when I bought the Car and these Issues were a result of Poor Maintenance IMO

even with my Car currently off the road awaiting Engine repairs (watch this space ) I rate the K-Series highly - If I had to purchase another Car it would be anything (ok probably another 75) with a K-Series

I managed to Break mine due to an Operator Error causing the timing belt to jump - resulting in a Damaged Piston (probable valve damage too but unconfirmed - I have a Brand New Head with Valves )

my K-Series was still running/driving better than a lot of cars on the road - right up til I removed the Head - If I hadn't been driving when the damage was caused, I'm not sure I'd have noticed there was an issue (i probably would have not sure others would tho ) - my Experience of the K-Series goes against the Hype and opinions of the "Experts" who have Never owned one - I'm Glad I never payed attention to the Hearsay

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 14:23   #8
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Well I own two K series engined cars,,A Rover 25 1.4 and an MGF 1.8.I just do regular maintenance on them..

The 25 has 94K on the clock and the MGF has 83K on it and both still on the original Head Gaskets so they are capable of lasting.

I did all those things and installed one of the temperature gauges which I monitored like a patient in clinical care every time I drove it. Head gasket still popped. There's a storesman at work who never lifts his bonnet from one mot to the next, only gets what he needs to get done when he gets his fail notice at the test centre, his 1.8 non asp is on 173k and rising.

I didn't say they all do it. I know they don't. I said the problem is real, you can't guarantee you wont suffer it, you can take steps to reduce the chances but you can't eradicate it.
75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 14:26   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Go buy a 1.8, they are damn good engines, and if the head gasket goes, fix it! They are the easiest engine out of the whole range to work on, and the best drive too.
Old 1st November 2018, 16:11   #10
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Well, 5 gaskets later. 4 actually did fail, the 5th was changed as a precautionary measure after the radiator let go.
I check the oil and water every time I take the Yellow one out. And she has still made it to 202,300 miles. And I would buy another tomorrow.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote