Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th November 2018, 20:09   #1
daveb57
Loves to post

Mercedes Benz E 350 Coupe Peugeot 407 SW 1.9 HDI

Default Nearside rear went bang, then a rumbling sound????

Hi all,

Had a not so good 24 hours, my brother in law even more so.

So, yesterday afternoon got a call to say that the recently acquired Toyota Rav 4 of the brother in law had broken down. It appeared that the clutch had gone, not able to get any gears at all. Recovery came out, confirmed the same and said car was recovered to the home address.

Being the sort of people we are, my other half offered the ZT for use as it would be a few days before the Rav 4 would be operational again. I have the E class to use, so not stuck for getting to and fro work etc.

Jumped in the ZT, drove a couple of miles to be greeted by a loud thud to the nearside rear, followed by a rumbling / scraping sound. Pulled up as soon as, got the torch out to have a look, but could see nothing obvious hanging / falling off. Drove off, all quiet, then again, another thud and scraping again. Rang Paul to explain, he could not believe what had happened, with his car falling poorly as well. Got the ZT back home and on the drive ok. Not having had time to deal with it today, I am assuming that the problem is the backplate giving way and the hand brake shoes coming adrift?? Can't think what else it could be?

Got a call from Paul just before 18.00, not had the Rav 4 / 5 weeks and was sold with a warranty, no problem with the repairs, so that was good news. Sent a recovery truck out to pick it up from the house, recovery driver has somehow creased and bent the drivers door!!! Really, really feeling for him this evening it must be said.

They say things happen in 3's, hope that is it for a while!!

As usual, any thoughts on the ZT issue would be welcomed.

Regards,

Dave.
daveb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 20:13   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Check the rear spring and/or the upper suspension arm for rot/collapse.
Old 5th November 2018, 20:21   #3
daveb57
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Check the rear spring and/or the upper suspension arm for rot/collapse.
Had a look underneath when I got home from work was still a bit of light left. All appeared to be complete. Rear suspension, brake replacement / overhaul was on the cards for the near future, now brought forward!!

Thought about this last night, but the gap between the wheel arch and top of the wheel is the same, give or take a mill or two. (bit of useless stuff in the boot, more one side than the other!)

Not really able to have a good look until Sunday at the earliest.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Dave.
Old 5th November 2018, 20:26   #4
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

It will be a rear spring. Unlike the front where the spring goes through the tyre unless you have protectors, I've known people drive tourers around with a broken rear spring and not realise till its went for its mot.
75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 20:32   #5
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

When the rear upper arm on my Tourer gave way recently, i had the same loud thudding (as the top of the hub occasionally hit the wheel arch) and the broken arm resulted in the wheel leaning in at the top and rubbing at times against the inner part of the wheel arch. The loud thudding only happened when driving along our track or going over manhole covers etc. but now all has been replaced. Might be a broken/corroded arm as already mentioned. good luck!
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 20:35   #6
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Wow, that is a run of bad luck for you and yours. I hope you have found the problem and got a remedy?
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 20:48   #7
daveb57
Loves to post

Thanks all for your thoughts, comments and well wishes.

Yes, as said, not a good 24 hours or so to say the least.

MOT before last, the advisory list for the rear end did not make good reading, had some of it sorted, but a full overhaul / replacement is required now.

Like many on here, I was at a crossroads as to what I was going to do with her, not worth anything if not roadworthy, and to be honest not a lot more if she is. Knew this when I bought the car. Have owned since 9 months old, so there is a lot of history and a bond that we all know owning these vehicles.

As I sit her typing this, I am still thinking, should I, or should I not, if I am throwing good money after bad, but I am not able to send her to her death, which it would be. Outwardly, bodywork still gleaming, not a patch of tin worm anywhere that I can see...…………… oh dear, what a dilemma!!
Old 5th November 2018, 21:25   #8
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Don't make any decisions until you know what it is. I was completely unaware that the o/s brake shoe retaining pins and springs on my 75 were not in place until I tried to adjust the shoes for MoT, and found the drum started to jam with bits of broken spring!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2018, 17:28   #9
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Rear upper arms aren't a biggy to change, provided you go to someone who's rover friendly.
If the car is otherwise good surely it's worth paying pennies to keep it going?
Buy another and unless it's new you could be buying a load of trouble, and if its not rover75/mg you won't get much help fixing it here.
Keep it...
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 19:21   #10
daveb57
Loves to post

Default update on the thread

Hi all.

Glad to report that all is well again at the rear end, as regards the braking system. All done with thanks to my local garage.

It was my original diagnosis, the handbrake springs had rusted through and had collapsed inside the disc. The back plates are in reasonable condition, but will replace when the upper and lower suspension arms are replaced next month. MOT in January, but always put in a month before just in case. New discs and pads fitted, along with the park brake kit, also a replacement handbrake compensator, I now have 3 clicks rather than 7!!! Weeping thermostat and housing replaced also, it appears that it was at the point of letting go completely. Was having to top up quite a bit recently.

Be nice to take her on a long run now without having to worry!!

Again, thanks to all who replied to the thread.

Regards,

Dave.