Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th December 2018, 15:58   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default Hope for private buyers

Disgruntled readers may like to know that I have recently been told by RAC Legal Services - who should know more about motoring law than anyone else - you do have a right to claim against a private seller for purchasing a defective car if you can prove it was in a dangerous condition. Those with good memories may recall my V6 had a split tyre, leaking brake pipes, corroded brake pipes + a split drop-link boot, leaking shock-absorber and broken spring. Just make sure you photograph everything and retain spare parts and get a report from a qualified garage.
Old 29th December 2018, 16:04   #2
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Having rights is one thing, enforcing them is another.

Suing someone in small claims or on moneyclaimonline and getting the judgement is the easy part.

Getting the money off someone who is either determined not to pay or has no assets is where it gets expensive and difficult. Believe me, I know. I got a ccj against a seller three years ago and still havent had a penny.

I'm surprised rac didn't tell you that its also a criminal offence to sell a car in an unroadworthy condition.
75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 16:13   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Then after you have got the judgement, if it is not paid within a reasonable time, you bring in the bailiff’s. If they have got no property or money, then you can watch out for them yourself, and wait to strike again. That’s if they are not to far away from you. Should not really say this, but, someone many years ago ,did the dirty on me. Suffice to say it cost them more than me one night. Say no more. Two wrongs don’t make a right, but I felt better watching.
Old 29th December 2018, 16:22   #4
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Then after you have got the judgement, if it is not paid within a reasonable time, you bring in the bailiff’s. If they have got no property or money, then you can watch out for them yourself, and wait to strike again. That’s if they are not to far away from you. Should not really say this, but, someone many years ago ,did the dirty on me. Suffice to say it cost them more than me one night. Say no more. Two wrongs don’t make a right, but I felt better watching.
The law is an ass but it has to be adhered to .
If and a big if you decide to take the law into your own hands an open forum is not the place to publicise it.
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 16:46   #5
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Would you not have to prove that the seller was aware of the faults? Most people have no idea about their tyres for example other than they are not flat.
How many owners regularly check their entire brake system 'just in case' etc.

That's why we have MOTs they would argue. And, by definition, anyone who rocks up with a car that then fails, you could argue, were or had been knowingly driving a car in a dangerous or defective condition.

Plus, did your private sale receipt say that it was purchased 'as seen & inspected'?

Good luck with your claim but I would suggest 'caveat emptor' takes priority over anything the RAC might tell you unless you have, as I said, evidence that the buyer was aware and/or warranted the car as free from faults.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 17:34   #6
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
Would you not have to prove that the seller was aware of the faults? Most people have no idea about their tyres for example other than they are not flat.
How many owners regularly check their entire brake system 'just in case' etc.

That's why we have MOTs they would argue. And, by definition, anyone who rocks up with a car that then fails, you could argue, were or had been knowingly driving a car in a dangerous or defective condition.

Plus, did your private sale receipt say that it was purchased 'as seen & inspected'?

Good luck with your claim but I would suggest 'caveat emptor' takes priority over anything the RAC might tell you unless you have, as I said, evidence that the buyer was aware and/or warranted the car as free from faults.
Unless the seller is qualified in motor vehicle inspection his word as a non "focal point of technical expertise"is as good as yours .Everyone has the opportunity to employ said person to inspect on their behalf .Im afraid the RAC are misleading you .Save your money on legal representation and fix the car.
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 17:43   #7
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

I can only agree with post 5 and 6. I doubt very much you’ll get any money back despite what the RAC have told you. One lesson to learn though is get any potential purchase checked by someone who knows what they’re doing as it’ll save all the hassle you’ having now
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 20:31   #8
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

If you buy a car privately then it's buyer beware. If you want greater assurance, go and pay an extra 10-20% from a trader.
Old 29th December 2018, 21:37   #9
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

The problem I have come across on numerous occasions some used cars buyers seem to think they are getting a new car for used car money.

I remember a Galaxy I sold a few years ago that was advertised very accurately and every scratch an imperfection was photographed.

The winner of the auction (£520 with 12 months MOT) arrived less than 2 hours after the sale had ended and then started going through the car with a fine tooth coombe. The only thing he could find wrong was the rear screen wash didn't work and he wanted a discount and then asked for the petrol money as he lived 100 miles away.

If you buy a car from a private seller you take your chances and if you want a warranty buy from a trader.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 09:42   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The advice given to the OP is correct. You have a right to claim anything against anyone. The question is whether the claim will succeed and unless the private seller sold the car on the basis of positive misinformation, I doubt that would be the case.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote