Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th January 2021, 17:53   #11
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I plugged my laptop with TOAF into it, the only module it could talk to was the ABS unit - normally it connects to the car no problem.

Sorry I didn't notice this bit.
Have you tried loaded a back up back onto the IPK from the automatic back up TOAF made from previous checks?
Old 4th January 2021, 21:19   #12
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

MK1 Connie SE 2.0CDTi Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
I plugged my laptop with TOAF into it, the only module it could talk to was the ABS unit - normally it connects to the car no problem.

Sorry I didn't notice this bit.
Have you tried loaded a back up back onto the IPK from the automatic back up TOAF made from previous checks?
I can't as it wont talk to the car :-)

It has been throwing it down here since I posted last. Waiting for it to stop raining so I can go out and do the battery disconnect and unplug the seats
TriumphStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 21:24   #13
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
You can connect another IPK for test purposes but don't drive the car.
Yes, it was connected for no more than 15 seconds and the ignition turned on. The engine was not started and the car not driven with the other IPK connected.
Old 4th January 2021, 21:25   #14
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Mark,

I am no expert on this sort of thing, particularly as you describe yourself as an "IT guy" , but the manual gives a number of simple tests for IPK data communications.
  • With the hazard warning lights on, do the direction indicator tell-tale lamps in the IPK operate?
  • Turn on the ignition and open any door. Does the 'door open' warning light illuminate?
  • Start the engine and activate the air conditioning [use the windscreen demist button]. Open the bonnet and check that the compressor is engaged.
  • With the engine still running, does the tachometer give a reading? [see below]
  • If your car has traction control, with the ignition on is the warning lamp/message illuminated?
  • With the ignition still on, if your car has automatic transmission does the PRNDL display in the IPK change according to the position of the selector lever?

According to the manual, you have lost CAN bus communication between the ECM and IPK.

You say that you have a low brake pad warning light after renewing the rear discs. That circuit is hard wired from the sensors to the IPK.

You say that the low fuel level warning light is on. That is triggered by IPK circuitry.

The CAN bus, exterior temperature sensor, speedo signal and brake pad wear (all of which you've reported) are on the 12 pin connector C0233. It might be worth re-checking its security particularly as these faults occurred only after you'd temporarily fitted another IPK.

What do you think Mark?

Simon
Thanks, will try these tests once it stops raining.
Old 5th January 2021, 12:15   #15
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
I was told not so long ago that changing the dash without it and the light switch been ‘virginised’ would cause problems as 1 could over write the other or cause conflicts in the IPK memory.
It sounds like this is what has happened to your car and if I understood what I was told, it might mean you need to have both the dash and switch reprogramming from a virgin state.
Fingers crossed this is not the case and a simple battery disconnection will solve it.
The mileage store is communicated between the IPK. LSM, EWS and key transponder every 100KM

The mileage store cannot be overwritten in the IPK LSM or EWS, so as a result of this the error stored in the IPK will be VIN mismatch with LSM.

There will be nothing other than that error stored, and indeed it is stored on any car which has exceeded 186,500 miles as the mileage store is no longer updated on any vehicle that has covered in excess of 300,000 KM

Where there is a problem is in the event a virgin or new IPK is fitted to a car as it is not possible to reconfigure this after the mileage store exceeds 60 miles or 100KM.

So in answer, a second hand IPK can be fitted, the car can be driven, and the only anomaly will be "Err" displayed in the mileage trip, and the mileage store will not be updated in the LSM until the correct IPK is refitted

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 23:05   #16
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

Several weeks later......

Sorry guys, been working on renovating the house for the last few months, so this car got put to one side when it's MOT ran out (I have another car so was in no hurry to fix this), only just been able to get back onto looking at it today.

And, good news - it is now fixed (well the dashboard is!).

Not sure what it was that fixed it, here's what happened....
I had the battery off a couple of weeks ago to charge it as it was completely flat after standing for all that time.

Before I put the battery on, I disconnected the drivers seat. Connected battery and started engine (still has the slow starting issue). Dash problem still present.
Took the dash apart and removed the binnacle, checked all the pins and connections, all looked fine. Put it back in, started engine. Dash problem still present.

Swore a couple of times, then went and had a cup of tea.

Went and got the spare binnacle from the shed. Plugged that in. Started engine... Hallelujah - it works.

Feeling confident, removed the spare binnacle and put the original back in. Started engine.... and.... it still works!!!!

Reconnected the seat. Started engine.... still works.....

Put everything back together and checked it all over..... still works :-)

So in summary, I have no idea what I did to fix it, but ultimately it is now fixed. For the record, the brake pad warning was also a symptom of whatever the problem was as it has gone now.

I can only assume that temporarily connecting the spare binnacle and then immediately removing it "confused" the car somehow and reconnecting it cleared whatever the problem was, allowing the original binnacle to work as well.

Next step is to weld up the hole I found underneath! and it can go for its MOT