Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th November 2021, 09:42   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default mixing tyres on same axle

Mine field, do you know the law?

Here are two examples of information taken from websites
https://www.protyre.co.uk/news/may-2...20each%20other.

Can I mix different tyre tread patterns?
No. Mixing different tread patterns across the same axle is not allowed. The identical tyre model and tread pattern must be fitted for a single axle. You can, however, use different tyres on a separate axle – just as long as they too match each other.

and this web site says different

https://www.bktyres.co.uk/advice/uk-tyre-law/
Mixing brands and patterns of the same construction type is permissible depending on the vehicle type and manufacturers recommendation. Check your vehicle’s handbook for tyre fitment details and options.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 10:06   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Never heard of the " do not mix tread patterns on the same axle before"

Lets look at it logically. pair of virtually new tyres and one has a sidewall puncture but that tread pattern is no longer available, so you have to buy a pair and the other one is of no use? (not even as a spare) come to think of it, if you have different makes front and back do you have to carry two spares?

Me thinks the statement is an ideal world sales pitch.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 10:10   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Ian.
Why would anyone want to do that on the same axle one of my pet hates is seeing a car with different tyres, even if they have same type on each axle, i have to put the same tyres on all four corners, one it looks better, it is safer in my opinion.

On all Freelanders 1&2 they must be the same have the same tread depth other wise damage can be caused to the drive train.

Tyres are the same as your brakes in terms of safety, they are must be kept in good order including the right type for the car.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 10:12   #4
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Regarding an MOT I've had the following.

I've had a fail when I had a 16" spare wheel fitted with 3 other of 17" wheels, I'd just had a puncture and due to the age of vehicle I left it on in case car was beyond repair.

My tourer last month passed with a matching pair of Bridgestones on the front, and the rear had one Uniroyal and one Roadstone which i had fitted when i had a puncture in the matching Uniroyal a while back.
The sizes are the same, not sure of speed rating but treads are certainly different.

My MOT tester is fanatical about tyres tread depth, and nearly every test has some warning about tyres wearing!! Didn't appear worried about tread patterns just condition of the tyres.

Incidentally I'm booked in tomorrow to have the uniroyal replaced with a new matching Roadstone, as it got an advisory for uneven wear due to worn bushes. Also having a full tracking check as I've just replaced the nearside rear suspension arms and bushes.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 10:22   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
No. Mixing different tread patterns across the same axle is not allowed. The identical tyre model and tread pattern must be fitted for a single axle.
I hope that Arctic isn't reading this but when I have had different brands of tyre on a single axle, the car has always passed its MOT test. So yes Ian, you can mix different tyre tread patterns.

Simon

Edit: I have sent an e-mail to Protyre asking them for more information on their claim.

Last edited by SD1too; 18th November 2021 at 10:31..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 10:30   #6
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Tyres don't need to be matching pairs in terms of make/model, there is no legal or MOT requirement for this, it's just recommended for best practice. This is because you could experience handling issues if for example the tyre on one side of the axle is a top quality gripping tyre whilst the other side has a cheap Chinese ditch finder.

You can have a different make of tyre in each corner if you wanted.

You can even fit 1 winter tyre and 3 summer tyres or vice versa and it won't fail an MOT for that.

The requirements are that:
- the wheels/tyres on each axle should be matching in size (i.e. you can't have a 225 on one side and a 205 on the other, or 17 inch wheel on one side and 18 inch wheel on the other.
- if one pair of wheels/tyres are wider then they must be on the rear axle.
- and of course the tyres must be of acceptable condition and tread level.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 10:33   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I hope that Arctic isn't reading this but when I have had different brands of tyre on a single axle, the car has always passed its MOT test. So yes Ian, you can mix different tyre tread patterns.

Simon
HI Simon.
Yes i am reading this thread as my post says it's my personal choice, that is why did not say no you can't do it, just i can not see the reason behind it other than saving on money if you have some spares lying around, because if you need two new tyres why not just match the other two on your car if they are the same.

I bet know one would go out with two different shoes on, and for different weather conditions

PS i also change tyres once the DOT date as passed again personal choice, as we all know tyres should be checked every week, make sure no nails or cut to the tyre etc.

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 18th November 2021 at 10:37..
Old 18th November 2021, 10:41   #8
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

When my wife bought a year old Fiesta from Motorpoint, it came with 3 Bridgestone and one called Autogreen Sport (or something like that).
I also believe in 4 matching tyres but noway would Motorpoint swap the tyre, as it was legal.
It was a case of take it or leave it.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 10:52   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Mine field, do you know the law?

Here are two examples of information taken from websites

https://www.protyre.co.uk/news/may-2...20each%20other.

No. Mixing different tread patterns across the same axle is not allowed. The identical tyre model and tread pattern must be fitted for a single axle. You can, however, use different tyres on a separate axle – just as long as they too match each other.

and this web site says different

https://www.bktyres.co.uk/advice/uk-tyre-law/

Mixing brands and patterns of the same construction type is permissible depending on the vehicle type and manufacturers recommendation. Check your vehicle’s handbook for tyre fitment details and options.

macafee2
It isn't a mine field really. As someone else states it is a sales pitch (albeit with a genuine safety tag to it).

A general observation for me, is that they are retail sales pages, not government websites. So I would question the accuracy of their statements, particularly if they have the potential of financial gain.

If you have any doubts, simply google the relevant term, in this case tyres, along with '.Gov legislation ' . This should provide the relevant legislation(s) for what you are seeking.

Personally I prefer to have all the same on all four corners. However, this has only been a financial possibility for me over the past 4 or 5 years. Previously though if I had mixed tyres, I would have driven to the quality I believed them.to be and to my own ability.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 10:54   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
When my wife bought a year old Fiesta from Motorpoint, it came with 3 Bridgestone and one called Autogreen Sport (or something like that).
I also believe in 4 matching tyres but noway would Motorpoint swap the tyre, as it was legal.
It was a case of take it or leave it.
Hi Melvyn.
I am afraid it would have been i will leave it, i bet they would not have let you walk away for the price of a tyre, what was the spare ? same or different.

ad altiora tendo.