Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th June 2012, 13:44   #1
Paradigm Bill

rover75 CDT Tourer

Unhappy rover 75 diesel won't start

I have a Rover 75 2002 diesel (BMW engine) which will not start. About two months ago I was driving home when the car appeared to run out of fuel (at quarter full). Luckily I was 50ys from a fuel stn, so I put 5 litres in, car started and got me home, so I thought it was a faulty fuel guage. Two weeks ago I let the fuel drop below one quarter full, but this time not close to a garage for fuel so I tried to start it by turning it over a few more times than the first time it broke down - no joy! So I towed the car home and put 10 litres of fuel in - still didn't start. I went online 'in tank pump fault' i checked running of both pumps only under bonnet pump worked. Spent £300+ on new pump and fitted successfully - pump was running, both working fine. Before I cranked car to start I charged the battery overnight as it was low - I connected the battery and let it stand for 10 minutes to allow immobiliser to settle in; I disconnected under bonnet pump and bled air out to fuel filter and then to main pump so not to stress out UBP. I tried to start the car but no joy; I undid No.1 injector pipe - fuel came out - so there is fuel to injectors - Please can anyone help, have I incurred a fault by battery running low, engine icon non-start is not on when cranking. Is the key fob immobilisier at fault due to when battery low and trying to start, or is it something I have done... I am 35 years a motor mechanic but have no equipment past basic spanners etc.. also I am not in the UK at present, in Italy where you can't buy easy Start!!!!!! HELP if Possible Please
Paradigm Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 16:19   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Is the rev counter needle bouncing at all, when you crank it over?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 19:34   #3
Paradigm Bill

rover75 CDT Tourer

Hi Harry, Thanks for the reply... I have just cranked the engine and the needle doesnt move.. no bounce at all Bill
Old 15th June 2012, 19:48   #4
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Any flammable spray will do to start a diesel engine, as a temp measure try some hair spray. Make sure you comb it first though.. heh heh...
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 19:54   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Bill View Post
Hi Harry, Thanks for the reply... I have just cranked the engine and the needle doesnt move.. no bounce at all Bill
In that case, your cam or crank sensor has failed (can't remember which), but it is a well known syptom. It should start and then run fine with EasyStart (or hairspray). Spray it directly into the EGR, after removing the large pipe.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 15th June 2012, 19:54   #6
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Moved to technical help forum
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 21:00   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
The rev counter signal comes from the crank sensor, so if you aren't seeing any needle movement at all when cranking could be either the sensor itself or the wiring.

The crank sensor also provides the timing information to the ECU for the fuel injectors.

The cam sensor is only used by the ECU to synchronise the cam position at start up and once that is done it ignores the cam sensor until the next start up.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 22:06   #8
ahp
Avid contributor

'04 Rover 75 Tourer Connie SE CDTi,'74 BMW 1602, '72 BMW 2002,'97 LR Disco 300TDi, Volvo XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchMike View Post
Hi,

Sorry for you !

Without T4,try this:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=69308

And test your injector's leakback.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...5&d=1339257430

Good luck
This was the advice I was given by FrenchMike. Simple tests with only a simple volt meter.

Sadly they have proved inconclusive with my similiar fault of non starting (all in another thread)
ahp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 15:33   #9
Paradigm Bill

rover75 CDT Tourer

Hi Harry, It started briefly with the spray, but will not run. Bill
Old 16th June 2012, 16:40   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Hi Harry, It started briefly with the spray, but will not run. Bill
No fuel getting through or a large leak back through injector(s), plus a failed crank sensor.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 16th June 2012 at 16:58..