Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd November 2018, 19:57   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default should criminal records be on line?

Should criminal records be on line?

no wrong people could be mistakenly targeted
no family's of criminals could be targeted

yes name and shame
yes people should know if there is a threat near them
yes people should know if a partner has a conviction, it could be serious and they could be at risk
yes employers should know, they may not want to employ someone who is a risk to staff and customers

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 22:26   #2
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

We have clare's law to protect us from domestic violence and employers can require disclosure of unspent convictions.

Certain professions, like mine (nursing) have to disclose all convictions including spent ones

https://crbdirect.org.uk/
75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 06:34   #3
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

An emotive subject.
On one hand if there are persistent offenders who despite being imprisoned etc continue in their ways then possibly it could be an idea.
On the other hand if there is someone who for whatever reason has a record, who has now changed their ways and are trying to live a good and law abiding life. It is unfair that everyone shoulkd be able to look up their record and base opinion on past mistakes.

I fear that such a system as proposed assumes that nobody with a criminal record can change.

I wonder how many of us here would be happy with such a system if it directly affected us?

That's my thoughts, I'm not going to enter into a debate on them
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 06:39   #4
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

You need a criminal records check to be a driving instructor and in many other sectors working with children, care workers for example...imagine asking your girlfriend etc to have a check don't think it would go down well..how about a list of folk with HIV..could plunge the country in to termoil however, know where you're coming from especially where children are concerned.

There is also the rehibilitation of offenders act.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:00   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
An emotive subject.
On one hand if there are persistent offenders who despite being imprisoned etc continue in their ways then possibly it could be an idea.
On the other hand if there is someone who for whatever reason has a record, who has now changed their ways and are trying to live a good and law abiding life. It is unfair that everyone shoulkd be able to look up their record and base opinion on past mistakes.

I fear that such a system as proposed assumes that nobody with a criminal record can change.

I wonder how many of us here would be happy with such a system if it directly affected us?

you make a valid point that adds value to the topic and something I had not considered.

The question however still remains, should criminal records be on line? Thinking of Simondi's point, if no offending for x years then they come off line?
It would be a minefield trying to decide what records are on line and what is not on line

macafee2
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:01   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
You need a criminal records check to be a driving instructor and in many other sectors working with children, care workers for example...imagine asking your girlfriend etc to have a check don't think it would go down well..how about a list of folk with HIV..could plunge the country in to termoil however, know where you're coming from especially where children are concerned.

Did not know that having HIV was a crime.

macafee2
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:12   #7
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Did not know that having HIV was a crime.

macafee2
I read Gordon’s comments differently. What he was saying is where do you draw the line, or would it be extended to people with HIV for argument sake? To deliberately infect another with HIV is a serious criminal offence: see link https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sta...396.html%3famp

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 3rd November 2018 at 08:16..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:58   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post

It is of course the same with any role that involves dealing with children, the vulnerable, etc. As part of my volunteering at a local college, I have just gone through the Enhanced DBS process.

I think the current system works reasonably well.

We could be really contentious and discuss weather a "fit to be a parent" certificate should be required by anyone intending to have children.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 11:22   #9
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
An emotive subject.

This is pretty much how I feel about it.

Yes, it would be good to know if there is someone in your street/pub/work that you need to watch out for, but you run the risk of victimising someone who made a mistake 15 years ago and hasn't erred since.
Some sections of society do feel that they've got a right to take the law into their own hands and dish out 'street justice' to those they feel may have (in their eyes), done wrong based purely on the fact that they did something similar half a lifetime ago.
Old 3rd November 2018, 16:28   #10
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

It would be no more reasonable to create a public register of individuals with HIV than it would be to create a public register of "people who drive a van" in the aftermath of last year's Finsbury Park attack. Doing either would be grossly excessive, paranoid and malignant.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote