Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st November 2018, 11:11   #1
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Default MOT & road tax warning

A few weeks back when I was on holiday in France, my MOT expired on my Vauxhall Combo. Due to an "administrative error" to book the test, I carried on using the van for four days after expiry until on a Friday I came to renew the insurance and realised I'd forgotten the MOT.
I phoned my garage asap and asked for the next test available, which unfortunately wasn't until 8am Monday. I explained to my customer I wouldn't be there on Friday as I couldn't use the van not wanting to risk it any more.

All turned out ok, MOT was passed with a couple warnings for a tyre wearing on an edge and corrosion on a brake pipe covered by grease.

Whilst waiting I was chatting to the lady who works/runs the garage and I was shocked to learn my road tax would be stopped had I not passed the mot.
Apparently if your MOT expires and road tax is bought monthly by direct debit, then the payment will not be taken from the bank if the MOT is expired. DVLA computers will automatically put a stop to the road tax meaning the vehicle suddenly becomes untaxed as well.

They had a notice on the wall explaining because another customer had found out this out the hard way when his payments stopped.
I can't see how this affects people who pay yearly for road tax, but will affect those using the monthly system.
Be warned!!
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 12:16   #2
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Not heard of that!!
My mg not ran out of mot in March of this year and I put it of road till May, leaving tax in place, paid for monthly.
When mot passed in May, all was still ok re the tax. Payments never stopped and tax never ceased.
Sound a bit weird that!

Technically if you sorn it then yes, the tax stops, but not if you don’t! They love their money coming in!!!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 13:11   #3
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

dvla say they'll automatically stop them but they kept taking them from me for three months as well and mine wasn't insured during that time either.
75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 13:28   #4
derek v
Loves to post

Rover 75 V6

well i just checked my bank and the tax money for my G20 american van is still being taken. Plus did a tax checker and its still showing as taxed. Its been off the road since july 2018.
Old 21st November 2018, 13:42   #5
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Just checked my bank and my payment was taken on 01/11 despite the mot expiring on 27/10.

Also the customer I was working for at the time forgot that his MOT ran out in mid august and had been driving for over 2 months without it! My phone call to him reminded him to check his tax which had also expired, after which he found no MOT either. He stuck on the drive asap!

Just shows there's not so many police about checking these things!
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 14:05   #6
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

You can always cancel the direct debit yourself?
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 14:44   #7
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

I believe that if your car fails the mot (for example) on the 25th of the month then DVLA will tell you that they will automatically stop any payments as the car has no valid mot.
If you get a pass a couple of days later e.g. 27th or before the 1st of the month then payments automatically start up again without having to redo the direct debit.
Stan
Old 21st November 2018, 14:48   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
Not heard of that!!
My mg not ran out of mot in March of this year and I put it of road till May, leaving tax in place, paid for monthly.
When mot passed in May, all was still ok re the tax. Payments never stopped and tax never ceased.
Sound a bit weird that!

Technically if you sorn it then yes, the tax stops, but not if you don’t! They love their money coming in!!!
Your situation is the same (similar) to the above post with regards to mot& tax.
Old 21st November 2018, 15:52   #9
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post
Just checked my bank and my payment was taken on 01/11 despite the mot expiring on 27/10.

Also the customer I was working for at the time forgot that his MOT ran out in mid august and had been driving for over 2 months without it! My phone call to him reminded him to check his tax which had also expired, after which he found no MOT either. He stuck on the drive asap!

Just shows there's not so many police about checking these things!
Seen someone get pulled over by unmarked police car this morning.1st one i've seen this year,not complaining about police, i always blame too many cut backs.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 20:39   #10
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek v View Post
well i just checked my bank and the tax money for my G20 american van is still being taken. Plus did a tax checker and its still showing as taxed. Its been off the road since july 2018.
Surely, if it's off the road (not MoTd), it should be SORNed?Even if you have left the tax on it?
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote