Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th November 2018, 09:16   #1
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts
Default Duster vs MG GS

https://www.whatcar.com/news/New-Dac...ource=20181124

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2018, 12:00   #2
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Budget SUV’s. One seems to be better around town and the other is good at motorway miles. It all depends on your needs but at the prices quoted they are good value for money.
Back in the day my Father looked at Lada, Skoda, FSO and Oriental offerings from Kia and such like. He went for a Lada 1500 estate which was a shocking car but gave him 8 years of cheap and practical motoring. I even passed my driving test in it! He paid £2400 for it from Tony Cox Motors, Sparkhill, Birmingham. Salesman was keen to tell him it had a passenger side door mirror and servo asssisted brakes! We fitted the aftermarket rear window heater ourselves. Happy days. Value yes, quality no.
Old 24th November 2018, 12:26   #3
ziggy72
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar S-Type R Audi A5 Sportback

The MG ZS is a nice car for the money and the interior is stylish too and of decent quality.
The downside at the minute is parts availability. There is one in at work awaiting repair with 400 mile on the clock with front end damage. It's been standing there for 6 weeks so far awaiting a front bumper, bonnet, wing and headlight amongst other small items and there is no date of arrival given by the manufacturer to when they will arrive in the country.
Luckily the customer is understanding and has a courtesy car whilst it's in.
Old 24th November 2018, 15:10   #4
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy72 View Post
The MG ZS is a nice car for the money and the interior is stylish too and of decent quality.
The downside at the minute is parts availability. There is one in at work awaiting repair with 400 mile on the clock with front end damage. It's been standing there for 6 weeks so far awaiting a front bumper, bonnet, wing and headlight amongst other small items and there is no date of arrival given by the manufacturer to when they will arrive in the country.
That’s just not good enough. Why would people buy one now with that kind of service, courtesy car or not? I just don’t think MG is fully committed to the UK and it shows. My Father would be laughing in his grave right now after the service he got from Lada.
Old 24th November 2018, 15:53   #5
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy72 View Post
that's a worry , you never think about parts having to come from the other side of the world .
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2018, 15:54   #6
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
That’s just not good enough. Why would people buy one now with that kind of service, courtesy car or not? I just don’t think MG is fully committed to the UK and it shows. My Father would be laughing in his grave right now after the service he got from Lada.
I bought my wife a Lada Estate,,,she loved it,Yes it was old school and basic but she loved the upright driving position and she could see the end of the bonnet which she cant do in modern cars,,very reliable car....

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2018, 16:52   #7
ziggy72
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar S-Type R Audi A5 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
It's the bodyshop where I work that have supplied the courtesy car not MG. It's paid for by the owners insurance company. There are a few obscure marques like ssangyong, microcar , Dodge etc that sell in small number over here where parts can be back ordered for several months. So it's not just MG.
Old 24th November 2018, 18:11   #8
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

We looked at the GS and the Duster, but SWMBO found both to be too large, so we opted for the smaller SUV, the Dacia Stepway. I didn't mind because it was even cheaper, but if I had a choice it would have been the new ZS.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2018, 18:31   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

So a bargain basement bastardised Renault is better than a bargain basement Chinese offering.......according to the motoring press

I'm sure you could draw a comparison somewhere, however the "MG" has about as much to do with quality motoring as a Leyland Atlantean has to do with modern public transport, similarly the Dacia.

I wouldn't have either given, not even if I were paid

Who in god's creation needs automatic emergency braking? I mean if you cannot anticipate or read the road ahead to the point where gimmicks like this are necessary to keep you and other road users from having a collision, then perhaps driving is not for you.

Last edited by marinabrian; 24th November 2018 at 19:13.. Reason: Spelling
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2018, 22:39   #10
BigBen
Loves to post

R75 V8 Tourer, CDTi Auto Tourer (both Connie SE), MG ZT-T 190+, MG TF 115

I hate these supposedly like-for-like comparisons which are nothing of the sort. Yes, they're the current offerings from Dacia and MG, but the GS has been around for 3 years now, and they're putting it up against the new model just launched Dacia.

When the HS replaces the GS in a few years will they do the same review again? I bet not. The Duster from 3 years ago is a woeful car.

I just wish they would put the 1.5tgi and 6 speed box in a "hot" version of the MG3.

[SIGPIC]https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/image.php?u=23989&type=sigpic&dateline=1467731033[/SIGPIC]

Past cars:-
BL: Discovery 3.1 & V8 2WD pick-up, Rover 800 Vitesse Turbo Coupe, 820 SLi 180 Fastback, 600ti, Montego 2.0EFi VDP, Ital 1.3 Estate
Ford: Transit Cosworth V6, Granada 2.9 V6 Scorpio & 2.8 V6 GL
Volvo: 480 Turbo & 1.7 ES, 240 GLE
Porsche: 944 2.7 Lux
Audi: 100 ESE 20v
Peugeot: 405 1.9 GR
Talbot: Alpine 1.6 Rapier S
BigBen is offline   Reply With Quote