Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th January 2021, 01:01   #1
275S

Rover 75 saloon (2)

Default Rear hub bearing seal

I removed the rear hub to help in sorting out the handbrake, but then saw that the backplate had almost completely rusted away - as have the other three
(these backplates are the shoddiest, flimsiest parts I have ever seen on any car).
I sent off for four new backplates and put the car back together. The hub came off and went back with no problem.
When the new backplates arrived, I removed the hub as before, but this time the inner race stayed on the axle, and a white plastic ring fell on to the floor.
I assume this is a seal, but I can't quite see how it works. It looks as though it is meant to click into a groove in the inner race.
Somehow it has got a bit mangled. How is it meant to fit, and where can I get a replacement?
The car has done less thn 100 miles since it had new wheel bearings
275S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2021, 05:51   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Are you referring to item 1 on this link

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001550

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2021, 08:53   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Be careful when you remove the inner race from the stub axle as there is a stainless steel flinger on the part nearest the backplate, take a look at the picture below....

The method I employ if this happens is to use a pair of mole grips on the inner race at the point where the groove which locates the white plastic clip engages, and rotating it, do not under any circumstances attempt to lever it off against the backplate.

The white plastic ring clips the two inner races together, so clip it to the outboard inner race with clean hands as not to contaminate the grease, then gently push the inboard inner race into the bearing until they clip together.

If the plastic part is distorted, boil the kettle make yourself a cuppa, and put the plastic part in an old cup and pour some boiling water over it to soften the nylon and make it easier to reshape.

Finally before installation of the bearing, give the running surfaces of the stub axle a wipe over with 400 grit wet and dry paper, clean off and a smear of LM grease to prevent it from seizing to the axle, and ensure the grease cap is in place.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bearing.jpg (98.9 KB, 127 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2021, 19:52   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Did both sides have this white plastic ring ???

Probably a spacer.---Can't think what else it could be.--

Last edited by COLVERT; 11th January 2021 at 19:56..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2021, 19:59   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Interesting pic.---A pair of angular contact bearings.

Takes pressure in axial and vertical directions.-----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2021, 18:45   #6
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Be careful when you remove the inner race from the stub axle as there is a stainless steel flinger on the part nearest the backplate, take a look at the picture below....

The method I employ if this happens is to use a pair of mole grips on the inner race at the point where the groove which locates the white plastic clip engages, and rotating it, do not under any circumstances attempt to lever it off against the backplate.

The white plastic ring clips the two inner races together, so clip it to the outboard inner race with clean hands as not to contaminate the grease, then gently push the inboard inner race into the bearing until they clip together.

If the plastic part is distorted, boil the kettle make yourself a cuppa, and put the plastic part in an old cup and pour some boiling water over it to soften the nylon and make it easier to reshape.

Finally before installation of the bearing, give the running surfaces of the stub axle a wipe over with 400 grit wet and dry paper, clean off and a smear of LM grease to prevent it from seizing to the axle, and ensure the grease cap is in place.

Brian
The “flinger” goes straight through yer finger if you are not careful. Guess how I found out.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2021, 00:33   #7
275S

Rover 75 saloon (2)

Default Hub bearing spacer/connector.

Sorry, been sidetracked by two broken springs, wishbone bush, stuck bonnet (see warning elsewhere) etc., etc.
Yes, all the hubs I have looked at have got these plastic rings, as shown in Brian's very clear photo.
Still don't know what they are for. A very gentle pull will separate them, so I assume they are meant to gently clip the two races together until the bearing is pulled tight (perhaps in transit or storage).
275S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2021, 08:26   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275S View Post
Sorry, been sidetracked by two broken springs, wishbone bush, stuck bonnet (see warning elsewhere) etc., etc.
Yes, all the hubs I have looked at have got these plastic rings, as shown in Brian's very clear photo.
Still don't know what they are for. A very gentle pull will separate them, so I assume they are meant to gently clip the two races together until the bearing is pulled tight (perhaps in transit or storage).
Yes, that is their purpose along with the role of preventing the two halves separating upon removal when the bearing is poorly fitted/corroded to the stub axle, but you will be able to refit the damaged part if you're careful.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote