Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th November 2021, 09:56   #1
steveg75

Rover 75 Tourer

Default "The 75 is one of the best British cars ever made''

To cut a long story short. In August my daughters took me to visit The Great British Car Journey, a motoring museum which has opened this year not far from where we live in Derby. Thought I'd be there for an hour or so - ended up being the last to leave after nearer three hours. Rekindled my enthusiasm for motoring days past and had already decided before we came home that my next car would be a bit different, something that would be well looked after, properly serviced, and hopefully end its days in a motoring museum itself, rather than a scrapyard. But which car to buy?
The family then bought me a copy of July's Practical Classics meagazine as it had a big article about the museum. Very interesting, and I hope it encourages a few people to visit the museum - well worth it .Also very interesting was an article on page 88 by Keith Adams ''The 75 is one of the best British cars ever made''. I was immediately struck by his enthusiasm for the vehicle. Did a lot of research, which was where this forum came in. Time and time again it popped up in internet searches and I was impressed by the sheer amount of knowledge and informatiom and the members' willingness to kelp each other.
So thanks to the museum, Keith's article, and this forum, after weeks of searching I bought NU53 FTV yesterday from a very helpful dealer and clearly a 75 enthusiast himself. She's a dark blue auto diesel tourer. As far as I can gather, she was bought new in 2003 by a gentleman in his seventies., who kept her until fairly recently when he had to give up motoring. Clearly well looked after from the service records, she appears to have spent most of her previous life in the Whitby/Scarborough area, having been regularly serviced there by the same two garages.If anyone knows her from her time there I'd be interested.
''The 75 is one of the best British cars ever made'' Keith - you're right.

Last edited by steveg75; 19th November 2021 at 10:41.. Reason: spelling errors
steveg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 10:40   #2
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg75 View Post
To cut a long story short. In August my daughters took me to visit The Great British Car Journey, a motoring museum which has opened this year not far from where we live in Derby. Thought I'd be there for an hour or so - ended up being the last to leave after nearer three hours. Rekindled my enthusiasm for motoring days past and had already decided before we came home that my next car would be a bit different, something that would be well looked after, properly serviced, and hopefully end its days in a motoring museum itself, rather than a scrapyard. But which car to buy?
The family then bought me a copy of July's Practical Classics meagazine as it had a big article about the museum. Very interesting, and I hope it encourages a few people to visit the museum - well worth it .Also very interesting was an article on page 88 by Keith Adams ''The 75 is one of the best British cars ever made''. I was immediately struck by his enthusiasm for the vehicle. Did a lot of research, which was where this forum came in. Time and time again it popped up in internet searches and I was impressed by the sheer amount of knowledge and informatiom and the members' twillingness to kelp each other.
So thanks to the museum, Keith's article, and this forum, after weeks of searching I bought NU53 FTV yesterday from a very helpful dealer and clearly a 75 enthusiast himself. She's a dark blue auto diesel tourer. As far as I can gather, she was bought new in 2003 by a gentleman in his seventies., who kept her until fairly recently when he had to give up motoring. Clearly well looked after from the service records, she appears to have spent most of her previous life in the Whitby/Scarborough area, having been regularly serviced there by the same two garages.If anyone knows her from her time there I'd be interested.
You're in the right place for all matters MG and 75 related, welcome to the madhouse.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 12:04   #3
MGjim
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160+

My wife and I traveled up to Derbyshire back in September, lovely part of the country, but primarily to visit the Great British Car Journey, as a birthday treat for me.
Can highly recommend it, even my wife enjoyed it and she's no petrol head like me!
We stayed at the Hurt Arms Hotel, 5 minutes away from the museum, can highly recommend that place too.
MGjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 13:34   #4
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Welcome from a fellow Derby owner

It's on my to do list to visit the museum,I pass it regularly.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 13:52   #5
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

Great place to visit.
Nice thing is, you can for a small fee, have a drive in a car of your choice.
I chose to drive the Sunbeam Rapier convertible, a car owned way back in the 1960's.
Kev.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...7b7e5aebea.jpg
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 14:46   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

well done Steve for having picked up SEVEN thanks for your very first post by some of the regulars on the forum.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2021, 09:07   #7
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Quote:
The family then bought me a copy of July's Practical Classics meagazine as it had a big article about the museum. Very interesting, and I hope it encourages a few people to visit the museum - well worth it .Also very interesting was an article on page 88 by Keith Adams ''The 75 is one of the best British cars ever made''. I was immediately struck by his enthusiasm for the vehicle. Did a lot of research, which was where this forum came in. Time and time again it popped up in internet searches and I was impressed by the sheer amount of knowledge and informatiom and the members' willingness to kelp each other.
Really interesting to read your post, Steve - warm welcome to the Club - hope you enjoy your car as much as I enjoy mine 😊.

All the best,

Nicholas/Zircon
Zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2021, 11:44   #8
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
well done Steve for having picked up SEVEN thanks for your very first post by some of the regulars on the forum.---
I think you'd better look again Jon

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2021, 16:10   #9
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Welcome to this wonderful place, you are quite correct, the Rover 75 is indeed a great car, it always was, designed well and built very well, to last, unfortunately they people in charge had other ideas, and they set the scene for failure, the morons that are the British car journalist just killed it off, by their relentless criticisms ( as if they actually know anything about building cars!).
Find a well maintained one, treat it well and you will enjoy a great car.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2021, 16:29   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
I think you'd better look again Jon
Yes but remember that it's all downhill from here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Welcome to this wonderful place, you are quite correct, the Rover 75 is indeed a great car, it always was, designed well and built very well, to last, unfortunately they people in charge had other ideas, and they set the scene for failure, the morons that are the British car journalist just killed it off, by their relentless criticisms ( as if they actually know anything about building cars!).
Find a well maintained one, treat it well and you will enjoy a great car.

Don't forget the biggest morons of all - the successive governments and the public for not supporting the car industry. We must not be selective.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote