Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th November 2010, 12:54   #1
mattyjones_1989

rover 75 classic

Default help!! WET floor drivers side and behind seat :(

hello. my plenum was blocked and i followed the sticky and unblocked it sucessfully ( this is the main one below ECU) however recently iv noticed very wet floor in drivers side rear footwell and under the drivers seat mat (STINKY AND VERY MISTY WINDOWS) so i re checked plenum , main one was fine however the upper one near bonnet hinge on drivers side was blocked, i unblocked it with a thin peice of metal ( sparkler i found in garden lol) and it slowly drained out, could this have been the problem ?? iv checked heater drain tubes (or whatever they are called ) the two tubes below car and they are blowing out air so they are not blocked. please guide me in the right direction as i fear it may have something to do with heater matrix?
mattyjones_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 13:48   #2
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyjones_1989 View Post
hello. my plenum was blocked and i followed the sticky and unblocked it sucessfully ( this is the main one below ECU) however recently iv noticed very wet floor in drivers side rear footwell and under the drivers seat mat (STINKY AND VERY MISTY WINDOWS) so i re checked plenum , main one was fine however the upper one near bonnet hinge on drivers side was blocked, i unblocked it with a thin peice of metal ( sparkler i found in garden lol) and it slowly drained out, could this have been the problem ?? iv checked heater drain tubes (or whatever they are called ) the two tubes below car and they are blowing out air so they are not blocked. please guide me in the right direction as i fear it may have something to do with heater matrix?

Hiya. Sounds daft, but have you checked you door seals, both door and door body.? I have read before that this can cause this problem if they have split.. Just a thought. Poppy.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 14:53   #3
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyjones_1989 View Post
Water ingress in the saloon is rear light cluster seals (check boot asap) for water in wheel well.......now

do you have a sun roof? check drainage holes x4 2 front 2 rear....

Have the clutch been replaced or master at any point ,apparently water gets in around there....

Plenum drains one on each wing and 2 under windscreen scuttle plate (plenum) may have been your problem with water ingress
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 19:04   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Hi Matt,
If you are not losing coolant then you can discount the heater matrix.

Water ingress into the car can be from Sunroof drains, scuttle clips, failed windscreen seal, blocked aircon drains, even small cracks in the bodywork. BUT the main cause for water in the cabin is the blocked plenum.

The problem you have now is that the water will have been leaking into the cab. plobably from an ill fitting seal .( lucky it has probably saved your ECU) When the water shows itself in the rear foot well it means the fromt footwell is full. !

As the carpet is foam backed and in some areas over 50mm thick, you have the best part of 6 litres of water PER SIDE under your carpet. I was sponging mine out from under the carpet for weeks when i finally stopped my leak from blocked air con drains, it was around 6 month before i totally dried out. the other way is to remove the carpet and dry it indoors, takes around 3 to 4 days from what i am told.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 20:47   #5
mattyjones_1989

rover 75 classic

Thank you for the replies. Boot is bone dry under the floor, i do not have a sunroof. I am loosing coolant i think!? It was low but didnt check for a while i will check again in morning. Iv had the car around about a month now and knew the bulk head drain was blocked and i cleared
It. I didnt notice the wet floor then but then i dont know how long it was blocked prior to me fixing it, if thats the case and iv fixed
It al ready is there an easy way to drain it out i dont want to be taking carpet up. Sorry for the massiv load if text i really apriciate the help, one more thing when i unblocked the drain in plenum the caps holding down the cover 2 of them
Pinged off , at bottom of windscreen but surely that wouldnt allow masses
Of
Water through

Last edited by mattyjones_1989; 17th November 2010 at 20:50..
mattyjones_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 20:56   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

No quick way to get the water out from under the carpet I'm afraid if you don't take the carpet out. Take the carpet door trims off and the plastic foot guards at the front, peel the carpet back as far as you can, then get in with the sponge and bucket on a regular basis. Sorry.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 17th November 2010, 21:46   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
No quick way to get the water out from under the carpet I'm afraid if you don't take the carpet out. Take the carpet door trims off and the plastic foot guards at the front, peel the carpet back as far as you can, then get in with the sponge and bucket on a regular basis. Sorry.
Might an aquavac type of device help suck the worst of it out quickly?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 01:27   #8
crofts

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Wet carpets

I am sure a vacuum would help initially, perhaps compressing the felt at same time may help.
It has not happened to me as I have done all the plenum mods. In thinking about it I think I would consider cutting the felt by the tunnel and taking it out of the car to dry. I wouldn't want it wet for 6 months ! ! Just a thought.
On other cars I have put a fan heater on a box by open drivers door, opened the opposite door and let warm air blow through.
Needs to be on a dry day or, of course, in the garage.
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 05:41   #9
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

All the methods described above will help to some degree, the silica bags will also help remove the moisture. the problem is the carpet is so thick ! when it is full of water it is so heavy it is difficult to lift. Looking back I think the 6 month may be a little bit of an exaggeration ( it just seemed like it ) But certainly for 2 to 3 month I was sponging every weekend and suffering the excessive steaming of the inside of the windows.

Old 18th November 2010, 06:32   #10
kevin

ford focus ghia

took mine a week to dry out indoors.
its a lot of work to take out, but the best way to get it dry. also by taking out the carpet you can run water over car to see where its getting in from.

Last edited by kevin; 18th November 2010 at 06:35..
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote