Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th September 2021, 01:22   #11
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

The way I see it, on a front wheel drive car the front wheels are the ones that pull the car around a wet, icy or snowy corner. If they lose traction you will be understeering off the road. The rear generally just follow along, unless they are woefully inadequate.
Of course with a rear wheel drive it is more complicated.
Here in Canada few tire companies will sell you less than four winter tires. Unless you show them your existing tires they will refuse the sale. As a matter of fact on Wednesday I am going to the tire shop to have two new snow tires mounted and I will be bringing the two matching tires with me as proof that I have a full set.
FWIW: The tires I am buying are Pirelli Winter Ice Zero FR's

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 28th September 2021 at 01:24..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 01:35   #12
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I've been fitting winter tyres for years. They make a difference on cold days, icy roads and snow.
My first 75 had all 4 fitted and was able to leave our cul de sac with ease whereas next doors BMW X5 could not! He had 4 spinning wheels due to having 4 very fat tyres designed for speed and handling rather than traction.
My wife's BMW has all 4 changed as its rear wheel drive. Spare set of alloys in the shed.
The Peugeot 308 has the front only changed for winter.
I've not yet decided about the ZT. Will probably leave it alone as we will have 2 cars ready for winter.
The ZT would only have the front 2 changed as that is where both traction and steering are applied.
You will upset the neighbours when they see you pulling away in deep snow when they can't.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 28th September 2021, 09:41   #13
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

I had a complete set of winter tyres on my last 75. It worked out quite cheap by managing to buy a set of 4 rims off Ebay, so literally just an hours work to check discs and pads etc when swapping wheels twice a year. I usually tweaked the handbrake adjusters at the same time.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 09:59   #14
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

I would absolutely say go for the Michelin CrossClimates.

I fitted them to my 75 and to my partners 25 and they are brilliant.

I remember a couple of years ago driving around in the snow in the 25 and I was genuinely astounded at how good the grip was.

We have quite a steep hill to get up and out of our estate and last time we had snow I flew up the hill on my way to the shops while a bunch of neighbours were trying to push a Focus up the hill that was spinning out.

They are a hoot on the 25 - they are slightly less effective on the 75 due to the weight I reckon but I still wouldn't be without them.
They are also quite a soft tyre and are known for reducing tyre noise inside the vehicle.

It makes more sense in this instance to put them on the front since the fronts are where you want the grip. Pointless putting them on the rear.
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote