Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st March 2016, 10:09   #1
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Default Can I fit fogs to my car

Hello all I've got a MK1 Oct 2001 build 75 Diesel Auto is it possible to do the above? Is it possible I've got the newer auto box cooler on my car from operation drive? Just was interested without having to rip apart my car.
Old 1st March 2016, 10:20   #2
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

If you look at where the passenger side foglight is.
If there is a vent then its an earlier type( thats what was on my old tourer diesel)
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 13:35   #3
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

I've done the research and looked at the motor and found I can't as I have the early cooler fitted to my car, which ultimately sucks as I wanted something to reduce the poor visibility while driving in fog.

Will look to upgrade my headlights to projectors instead and will then see were to go from there
Old 1st March 2016, 13:48   #4
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxpump View Post
I've done the research and looked at the motor and found I can't as I have the early cooler fitted to my car, which ultimately sucks as I wanted something to reduce the poor visibility while driving in fog.

Will look to upgrade my headlights to projectors instead and will then see were to go from there
I have the cooler and fogs.... Never an issue...
Old 1st March 2016, 16:19   #5
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy.com View Post
What the mk1 cooler? with a an mk1 diesel automatic? It states they are not compatible on rimmers website, they would be well cool i they did fit mind, what's the clearance like between the lamp and the cooler? I would buy a set and edit them to get them to fit if I can as fogs would be an excellent addition to my car but if they foul the gearbox oil cooler it not worth spending the £££ on the kit to find they don't fit!
Old 1st March 2016, 16:36   #6
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxpump View Post
What the mk1 cooler? with a an mk1 diesel automatic? It states they are not compatible on rimmers website, they would be well cool i they did fit mind, what's the clearance like between the lamp and the cooler? I would buy a set and edit them to get them to fit if I can as fogs would be an excellent addition to my car but if they foul the gearbox oil cooler it not worth spending the £££ on the kit to find they don't fit!
I had no issue getting them in... Plenty o room
Old 1st March 2016, 18:34   #7
Sebastienclement
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

They fit fine. Done the same on mine.
Sebastienclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 19:03   #8
badrover
Gets stuck in

75 club se tourer,75 cdt tourer connie se, 75 dealer launch

My understanding is that yes, they will fit no problem but one of the fog light blanks is actually a duct that directs ram air to the cooler when the car is in motion. If you fit fogs then you block this and air flow to the cooler is restricted. However, many auto owners fit them without issue. My 1.8t auto is the same arrangement. When I fitted fogs, I noticed that the transmission cooler fan would operate on longer runs or uphill climbs so in my case it did raise the transmission oil temp. Consequently I removed the fogs. I don't know if the cdt has a fan though or whether the trans oil gets as hot, as the standard cdt is far less powerful than the 1.8t.
So basically it's not a case of them not physically fitting due to the cooler being in the way, its just that rover chose to channel the air to the early type cooler through the fog lamp duct, hence the later cooler was a different design to allow fogs to be fitted without restricting the air flow.

Last edited by badrover; 1st March 2016 at 19:09..
badrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 19:56   #9
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrover View Post
My understanding is that yes, they will fit no problem but one of the fog light blanks is actually a duct that directs ram air to the cooler when the car is in motion. If you fit fogs then you block this and air flow to the cooler is restricted. However, many auto owners fit them without issue. My 1.8t auto is the same arrangement. When I fitted fogs, I noticed that the transmission cooler fan would operate on longer runs or uphill climbs so in my case it did raise the transmission oil temp. Consequently I removed the fogs. I don't know if the cdt has a fan though or whether the trans oil gets as hot, as the standard cdt is far less powerful than the 1.8t.
So basically it's not a case of them not physically fitting due to the cooler being in the way, its just that rover chose to channel the air to the early type cooler through the fog lamp duct, hence the later cooler was a different design to allow fogs to be fitted without restricting the air flow.
there's more than one way to get air flow in there...
Old 1st March 2016, 20:06   #10
Gareth.Richards
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy.com View Post
Same here, even found the wiring loom connector behind the nearside headlight.
Gareth
Gareth.Richards is offline   Reply With Quote