Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th July 2016, 23:31   #11
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

On the opposite side of the coin, my Jaguar XF went in for a service and MOT at the main Jaguar dealer I might add.

They telephoned me to say my front pads were 90% worn & rears 80% worn.

I refused to allow them to replace them at almost £500 if I recall correct but when I picked the car up I was informed the car had passed and oddly no advisories.

BTW I've since replaced the pads but they were lucky if they were even 20% worn but they had made contact with the sensors.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 07:53   #12
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

If I see a car with a clean sheet, I'm usually a bit sceptical, particularly if it's something older!
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 07:59   #13
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
On the opposite side of the coin, my Jaguar XF went in for a service and MOT at the main Jaguar dealer I might add.

They telephoned me to say my front pads were 90% worn & rears 80% worn.

I refused to allow them to replace them at almost £500 if I recall correct but when I picked the car up I was informed the car had passed and oddly no advisories.

BTW I've since replaced the pads but they were lucky if they were even 20% worn but they had made contact with the sensors.
At 90% worn there would still be enough pad to pass the mot limit. The mot is the minimum standard at that time whereas the service decision will be made on will they last another year to the next service

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 08:40   #14
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

There are three MOT "stations" that I use two of which are a few hundred yards apart ont eh same road. These are not the closest but they are the ones that can be trusted and can be very helpful.

Even though it is not listed as an advisory at one of them he noticed and pointed out to me that the clutch slave cylinder is weeping during the MOT. have bought new seals just need the time to remove and rebuild it.

Have tried most of the MOT places around here over the years and settled on these as they are fair and easy to get too. Some localish ones I simply do not trust.
Old 10th July 2016, 11:03   #15
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

They're not bad as advisories go.

I always thought a leaking power steering system was an automatic failure

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 12:45   #16
Sebastienclement
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

I used a garage opposite work (for convenience) for my last two MOTs - first time pass with a clean sheet each time. I was well chuffed.

Thing is, at least on the second one there was a hole in the sill & a broken rear spring!
Sebastienclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 14:19   #17
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
At 90% worn there would still be enough pad to pass the mot limit. The mot is the minimum standard at that time whereas the service decision will be made on will they last another year to the next service
I agree but surely advisories do not fail an MOT they are to inform you that this item requires attention prior to the Next MOT.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 14:53   #18
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

An advisory is either something not covered by the mot but a safety issue or something that may be worn but not excessively

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
Old 10th July 2016, 14:55   #19
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc3725 View Post
They're not bad as advisories go.

I always thought a leaking power steering system was an automatic failure
Depends how bad the leak is, as a general rule it has to be seen to leak. If it was dripping onto the floor than its a fail, if it's just signs of a leak over time then it's an advise