Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th October 2016, 00:05   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Question How British are my MGs and Rovers?

Following the recent winding down and withdrawal of "production" at Longbridge, there has been much discussion about British Manufacturing Content with Chinese MGs over on some of the other car sites I often visit.

Working on my cars for over twenty years, I frequently uncover "MADE IN .... " on numerous items. It appears that over the past possibly thirty years or more, there has been a large increase of manufacturing content NOT MADE IN UK.

I was again reminded of this when fitting refurbished MG ZT Gridspoke Alloy Wheels to my MG ZT-T 1.8t. I spotted this embossed on the inside face of the wheel spokes. :~

Yes, AUDI and GM logos on Electrical items such as Loom Connectors, BMW logos on on a range of several items in my various cars. MADE IN HUNGARY; MADE IN POLAND; MADE IN ITALY; and even MADE IN UK sometimes on the alloy wheels.. TYRES made just about anywhere except for the UK. Many electrical components made in France or Germany. The list goes on.

This was rife even prior to April 2005 when the receivers were called in at Longbridge.

So how "British" is or was my Rover 45, MG ZS and MG ZTs. Same with my Rover 620s.
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 05:23   #2
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

An interesting post/subject. I suppose MG and Rover ar ONLY british because originally the companies were founded in Britain and registered as in Britain as British companies with the cars assembled in Britain. All very british and traditional!

After that, its an open market a very small world when sourcing parts and materials. Britain moved away from being a manufacturing country many years ago to a service country. The last time i looked at this was for a project and there was a 5% IIRC reduction on manufacturing output year on year, so for a british company to continue to purchase british parts was becoming difficult every year.

MGR were also under financial pressure so they had to cast their procurement nets wordwide. The EU helped secure cheaper parts (this is a whole other argument) and free movement of these parts.

I reckon MGR would have gone bust long befor it did if it didnt find parts world wide. The alternative would be to remain a traditional british car manufacture buying only british parts in shrinking british market. That would not be sustainable and they would not have been able to compete with other car manufacturers throughout the years. MGR put up a good fight but as we all know, it wasnt to be.
Old 6th October 2016, 06:08   #3
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

It'll never change as long as cheap labour in foreign countries exist this kinda thing will never come to the UK again.

Its a shame and i wish things were different because this country has nothing to offer the world.
We buy everything in and barely export..... but such is life
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 06:27   #4
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

The diesel engine is BMW and of excellent quality

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 06:29   #5
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

"Its a shame and i wish things were different because this country has nothing to offer the world."
Er hang on we have a trade surplus with China due to the Jaguars and Land Rovers we make here so not is all bad. Almost every spare piece of development land in Coventry is being bought by JLR for development, research and manufacture.
A shining light for industry but we do still make pork pies, cider, pork scratchings and the odd plate in Stoke!
Please feel free everyone to add things to the list!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 06:43   #6
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
"Its a shame and i wish things were different because this country has nothing to offer the world."
Er hang on we have a trade surplus with China due to the Jaguars and Land Rovers we make here so not is all bad. Almost every spare piece of development land in Coventry is being bought by JLR for development, research and manufacture.
A shining light for industry but we do still make pork pies, cider, pork scratchings and the odd plate in Stoke!
hahahaha! sorry i dont mean to be so negative, i just get myself annoyed at how everything used to have a "made in england or made in the uk" stamp and now you'd be lucky to find something like that.

I just wish we made more things and were the engineering capital that we once used to be.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 06:56   #7
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

You should see the content of the Mini's, I had a tour around the factory a few years ago and it is amazing where stuff comes from.

Engines from Brazil, wiring loom from Slovakia, windscreens from china, gearboxes from Germany, trim from Spain. I think the only part that is actually made here is the shell.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 06:56   #8
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
Not forgetting good old bangers and mash

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 07:06   #9
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
The tide could turn with the pound being low. Exports will be cheaper abroad but conversely parts coming in will be more expensive, so it is more than possible we could see a rise in component manufacturing in the UK and that cant be bad.
Old 6th October 2016, 07:06   #10
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Fish and chips!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote