Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th December 2016, 13:01   #1
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Default Sagging head lining

Just noticed two large areas of the headlining, both rear corners some way forward of the tailgate have developed very noticeable sags. How is the headlining secured and what is suposed to keep it in shape? As I have some water leak into the rear corners of this tourer, if it was coming through where the roof rails are attactched might the sagging headlining be an indication of this?

Anyone else had this experience? Ant other suggestions welcome
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 13:03   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

There are two metal clips tgat are bonded to the headlining, these clips push into the roof section to hold it in place, if damp has got to them, chances are they have come away from the headlining.

Dry it out, then glue them back on and all will be well again
Old 12th December 2016, 18:26   #3
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
There are two metal clips tgat are bonded to the headlining, these clips push into the roof section to hold it in place, if damp has got to them, chances are they have come away from the headlining.

Thanks for the hint, but would I not expect to see evidense of water of the headlinig itself? - it is apparently quite dry with no stains. Each area that has come away is triangular, about a foot in each direction. Is this typical, and if it is in some way it's good news as I will have at last found where the water is getting into the back of my tourer
Old 12th December 2016, 18:29   #4
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post

Just re-reading your answer seems to suggest that you have assumed the headlining to have come away from a clip at the edge. This is not so, as my previous post tries to explain the two roughly triangular areas are well away from the edges of the headlining and roughly under the end of the roof rails, hence my wondering if this might be related.
Old 12th December 2016, 21:00   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Hmmm, sounds an odd one, the only ones I have seen are where the clips have come adrift..
Old 13th December 2016, 10:15   #6
JerseySteve
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

For what its worth my 2001 Tourer is the same. I am holding the lining up currently with some small screw-in tacks that I got from eBay that were advertised for that purpose (from USA). My understanding is that the cloth is glued to the foam backing and this breaks down over time particularly in hot weather. I am getting special spray adhesive from Amazon to have a go at fixing without removing the complete headlining although that may end up as the only option. FYI there are various videos on Youtube with people attempting similar repairs albeit on other cars. Hope that helps.
JerseySteve is offline   Reply With Quote