Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th December 2016, 14:21   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Question Why is it that.....?? Slow to fireup.

Why is it that.....my three MG ZT 1.8t cars in regular use need a second or two cranking on the Starter Motor before they fire up?

The 1.8 K in my son's Lotus, my wife's ZS and my 45 Connoisseur I sold a few years ago ALL start immediately the key is turned.

All the batteries are in good shape so that is not the cause. I'd like those ZTs to do the same. Any pointers here will be appreciated.

TIA
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 14:27   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

What plug gap does it have? Mine starts on the button with .75mm
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 14:36   #3
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

the only starting issues i've had with mine was caused by bad connections to the Starter Motor Solenoid - i cleaned these up and no issue since - however when the issue arose the car just wouldn't start no matter how long - so don't think it would be your problem.

excessive Carbon build-up ?

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 14:52   #4
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Wow, just a reminder that all we used to do was turn the distributor a bit to advance the spark. Sorry, no help to you.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 15:10   #5
Abbadon
Avid contributor

MG ZT+

not sure this applies to petrol cars and sparking, but on SOME diesel engines, the engine uses the cam sensor and crank sensor to work out where in the combustion cycle you are before triggering the first injection in one or other cylinder. If the cam sensor fails, it reverts to using the crank sensor only, but it takes a little bit longer at cranking speed to work things out, as you get less crank rotations per cycles through all cylinders than you do cam rotations.

No idea if this is at all applicable to this engine, or whether I'm just waffling....
Abbadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 16:18   #6
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Perhaps the ECM needs resetting of the fuelling adaptions or stepper motor via T4 ?
If a car has had head gasket issues in the past the compensation by the ECU will have changed due to it sucking in that emulsion via the inlet manifold and the MAP sensor could also have been clarted in the stuff too, making the ECU compensate too much. It's a bit like resetting the hydraulic lifters after heavy contamination with emulsion, you often wont get it started because of initial low compression as the hydraulic tappets may have all backed out.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 17:33   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbadon View Post
not sure this applies to petrol cars and sparking, but on SOME diesel engines, the engine uses the cam sensor and crank sensor to work out where in the combustion cycle you are before triggering the first injection in one or other cylinder. If the cam sensor fails, it reverts to using the crank sensor only, but it takes a little bit longer at cranking speed to work things out, as you get less crank rotations per cycles through all cylinders than you do cam rotations.

No idea if this is at all applicable to this engine, or whether I'm just waffling....
The diesel has a cam sensor, the petrol also.

It sparks on both induction and compression strokes.

Called the "lost spark" ignition system.

Last edited by COLVERT; 14th December 2016 at 18:25..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 19:41   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes you need the cam sensor on the 1.8's to time the injection to the correct stroke. They can fire and run 180 degrees out due to the wasted spark becoming the used spark and vice versa, but won't run as efficiently due to the injectors injecting fuel into closed ports, and the mixture not getting into the cylinders until the next revolution.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 19:48   #9
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Doesn't answer the question though, the ecu either waits for the cam sensor signal or not? In the old days my minis would fire before you heard the starter motor, which gave the battery and starter motor an easy life.
I reckon my zt turns over at least twice before firing, wish I knew why?
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 19:51   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbadon View Post

Well you actually get twice as many crankshaft revolutions than the camshaft ones on 4 stroke engines, but you are quite correct that some diesels will fire up with a failed cam sensor.

The M47R fitted to our cars isn't one of them though - no cam signal equals no start.

Some diesels will attempt a start if the cam sensor fails - it is a fifty-fifty , and if they don't start on the first sequence of every other revolution the ECU just retries on the very next revolution retiming the injection 180 degrees, and that will work. This can cause a slight delay before starting.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote