Notices

Old 7th March 2017, 11:13   #21
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
I`m not sure about that statement....
...Drive a BMW around the small villages in Northern France and and watch the expression on the peoples faces?
Ken.
Plenty of all types of cars sold in france and a fair few bmws. You see more far eastern cars than ever. They have, on the whole, no issue in buying foreign cars.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 16:05   #22
sponge_mike
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Plenty of all types of cars sold in france and a fair few bmws. You see more far eastern cars than ever. They have, on the whole, no issue in buying foreign cars.
Similarly in Italy, Fiat had around a 75% market share 20 or so years ago - now around 15%.

Mike
sponge_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 19:41   #23
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Once again, I have a different view to the majority here.

In my opinion, PSA ownership of Vauxall is probably going to secure British jobs longer than any of the alternatives, which realistically are limited to the following:

1. GM retain ownership - sooner or later, they would close the loss making UK plants.

2. Purchase by a Uk car manufacturer - we have none left that are capable of purchasng or/and operating such a large undertaking. A purchase by JLR would make no sense strategically.

3. Purchase by a UK investor - the only likely outcome is a rapid phase of asset stripping. This is something at which our investors excel e.g. BHS.

4. Purchase by a Chinese company - would quickly lead to closure and intellectual property being shipped to China.

PSA are not an asset stripping invstment outfit. Their business is the design and manufacture of cars and engines. A UK plant will probably buy them an insurance policy against the risk of post-Brexit tarriffs as well as access to other markets that are more accessible to a UK manufacturer.

Last edited by MSS; 8th March 2017 at 12:06..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 20:21   #24
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Well, I don't know enough about the eu and the shenanigans that goes on, but I would say that the only people I know who had a recent vauxhall were unimpressed with the number of issues they had and the build quality. But that was them, not me so I don't have personal experience.
The thing about foreign cars is the reputation. Look at the rover 75. According to everyone I spoke to before I brought mine, without exception everyone said get the diesel because it's a bmw engine therefore the best and bomb proof etc etc. The petrol engines made by rover are uneconomical, unreliable, expensive, will break. I think the majority of car buying is based on reputation rather than nationality.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 14:09   #25
Sebastienclement
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Everyone here is forgetting that PSA are buying OPEL/Vauxhall. Go have a look at what percentage of car sales in Europe and the UK are Opel/Vauxhall respectively - they ain't going to strip the brand. Would you risk losing a MASSIVE customer base to Volkswagen AG?

Economies of scale will be made, without a doubt, and no one can foresee what will happen with the UK plants but I doubt very much that we will lose the Vauxhall brand from our roads, and likewise Opel in Europe.

I do expect that Vauxhalls will be built on PSA platforms which, considering how their cars drive these days, may not be a bad thing!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sebastienclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 04:03   #26
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

The industry really is full of surprises! A pepper mill manufacturer buying a GM offshoot!

https://peugeotwebshop.co.uk/salt-an...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote